“clean and relaxed good atmosphere”

The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed September 5, 2011

were not looking forward to our stay due to the reviews we had read on trip advisor .but this was not true as it was clean comfortable good food, good value for money .staff very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: ask for room with a view not a courtyard
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2011

So glad you enjoyed your short break with us here at the Grand Hotel.
Unfortunately some of the reviews are not always a true picture of the hotel as guests who are not happy for whatever reason are more likely to put a review on than someone who has had a good experience. Thank you for taking the time to put this review on as it is always helpful to future customers to get an overall picture of the hotel.
To put this in perspective we would receive approximately 2 or 3 complaints per month in which the hotel would have accommodated over 2000 guests.
I am so pleased the negative reviews did not deter you from visiting the hotel.

There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel - Llandudno

Reviewed September 4, 2011

Went with my 13 year old son, 54 year old brother and 79 year old father, staying for 3 nights over the August bank holiday 2011. Both my father and brother use mobility scooters. The hotel was not overwhelmed with scooter users, but was very scooter friendly and well thought out from a mobility point of view. Lifts to all floors.

Hotel must have been extremely grand in it's day. It's still a lovely hotel now if a little tired. The reception/dining/entertainment areas are clean, comfortable, spacious and nicely decorated. The bedrooms are not luxurious, having basic furnishings, but are more than adequate for a short break. I was really pleased with the beds which have mattress covers, and good quality bed linen. Fresh towels were supplied daily, nice quality bathing products. Complimentary bottle of wine was a nice touch, left in both our rooms. Our chambermaid was on hand each morning, and acted on any requests I made.

All staff I saw or engaged with, worked very hard to keep a very busy hotel, as tidy and pleasant as possible.

The Buffet breakfast was good value for money. The trays were constantly changed as soon as they became low, and if they did run out, it only took a couple of minutes for them to bring out more once they were made aware. Once again the staff worked very hard . They contantly cleared/re-laid tables as quickly as possible which meant the dining room was always tidy/pleasant for those lingering towards the end of meal times.

We didn't see much of the entertainment as my son found the Snooker Room!! However my father loved the "Sing-a-long" with Stan on Sunday night, and the singing we "overheard" from the cabarets seemed quite good, as were a couple of guitarists. Lovely ballroom with dance floor for those who know how to ballroom dance!

Really surprised with Llandudno itself, as I hadn't expected it to have been protected from over-development on the sea front. No shops other than the cast iron kiosks on the pier. Shops are restricted to the roads behind the main frontage, with a good selection of both High St names and individual browsing shops.

We found a good sports bar for the Wolves/Villa Match. A lovely cafe serving homemade food, fell in love with the Kelly's Cornish Ice-cream Kiosk on the pier and also Grumpy's old fashioned sweet shop.

There is a mobility shop in the town which rents out mobility scooters, and for a small charge will deliver them to your hotel, and also collect them following your departure. Very well organised.

Good crabbing (although a net is essential if you are to land the big ones).

Ideal area for walkers as there is plenty of countryside to explore, but also for those who struggle to walk or have mobility scooters as the Sea Front is very flat.

During our stay at the hotel, there was a mixture of all ages, from little ones right through to seniors, with the majority being between 40 and 60. Quite a few people we spoke with, had returned many times.

Only a couple of negatives for me: Personally, I struggle with the fact that pets are allowed in the bedrooms. Whilst I believe this is a great thing to do, I would wish for pets to be restricted to certain bedrooms so as to happily accommodate everyone. They may well do so, I'm not sure, best to ask if you have any concerns.

The other is the parking. There's a loading spot in front of the hotel, from there it's a case of finding a spot for that day, then moving it after 6:30 to a spot near the hotel There's an area with marked bays within 20 metres or so of the hotel charging £4.10 per day. Once you are parked, I believe it's a good idea to leave it and use other means of transport.

Overall, I would certainly recommend the Grand for a long weekend, intending to return in the near future for a weekend with my husband and son, as my son want's to challange his dad to a Snooker tournament!! As they do special entertainment weekends, we may well choose one of those.

Room Tip: Ask for a bathroom with an outside window.
1  Thank beckbury

It certainly sounds like you had a great holiday and found all that Llandudno and the hotel has to offer.
We do allow dogs in the hotel but I have to say that over the Bank Holiday weekend we had more than usual. Normally we would only have about two per month but I think the cost of £10 per break is a lot cheaper than kennels which may have had something to with it.
We have no control over the parking which can be frustrating at times but more so on a busy Bank Holiday weekend. We have a lot of repeat customers who always find ways around the parking situation such as arriving early in the day.
Thank you again for the positive comments regarding the restaurant and housekeeping.
Hopefully we will see you again sometime in the future.

Reviewed September 3, 2011

Just got back after a delightful first stay at the Grand. We had a standard room which was very clean, the hotel is ideal for wheel chair users and is close to the peir and shops. All of the staff were extremely polite and helpful as was our coach driver.(Interchoice) We were especially impressed with the yound man on the reception desk and Joanne who is based in the restaurant who were both helpful and well organised. Restaurant buffet style self service and food was hot and cooked to a good standard, On the whole it's a lovely historical hotel, well organised and friendly, we shall stay again next year.

Room Tip: Rember to request a room with a shower if that's what you like as some have baths.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank P E

So glad you had a lovely stay here at the Grand Hotel. I will pass your comments on to Matt and Joanne as it always so nice for guests to appreciate how hard they work. We look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed September 3, 2011

I've always been a fan of the Grand Hotels since I first stayed in one a few years ago.

The hotel itself is very impressive and Victorian looking (inside and out). The room was very comfortable with tea/coffee facilities, TV and en-suite shower.

The food is always buffet-style, hence there certainly is plenty of it, with a wide variety of meals on offer (both at breakfast and for the evening meal). The food is always hot and the plates provided are always kept warm so that your food does not cool to quickly.

Evening entertainment consisted of Bingo, Live Music and plenty of dancing too. The Musicians were incredibly talented - the drum solo was simply incredible!

As always in the Grand Hotels, the staff are always very friendly and helpful.

Location is perfect, right next to Llandudno Pier with plenty of things to do in the evening. And with Llandudno being very flat it is the perfect place for the infirm or the disabled. Also in close vicinity to the main shopping street in Llandudno town.

Room Tip: Tell them what you want!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul W

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. You summed up brilliantly what Grand Hotels are all about so thanks again for the great comments.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

I recently booked a 2 night break at the grand hotel in Liandudno for my husband and I to celerbrate my husbands 50th birthday. When we arrived we were allocated a room on the 5th floor. I was gutted when we saw our room. The room was not much bigger than a broom cupboard and was shabby. We had a lovely view ot the roof top from our window and if I laid down on the bed I could actually see the sky. The room was definatly not worth £75 each night. The valance on our bed was really dirty, covered in black marks and brown stains god knows what they were !!! I had to ask twice for the valance to be changed. I was not impressed with the general cleanliness of the hotel. I had only booked bed and breakfast thankfully as the breakfast was really cold. The only good point was the location.. I never write reviews or complain about holidays we have taken but I was very disapointed with the poor standard of this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carol B
Reviewed August 29, 2011

You couldn't get a hotel with a better location than this one in Llandudno. It is situated close to all amenities, the promenade, local attractions, beach and pier.
The overall service was a good standard. Staff were pleasant and helpful.
Parking could be an issue, especially on a busy bank holiday weekend.
The room was a large, bright family room with a beautiful view overlooking the sea and promenade. There was a bottle of wine left in the room, with tea and coffee and a kettle.
There was plenty of clean towels available and numerous mini shower gels etc to use in the bathroom..
Initially the room seemed nice and clean, however, there were a couple of things that I felt were not acceptable regarding the cleanliness of the room. The shower head in the bathroom was covered in black gunk. Thankfully I took some anti bacterial wipes and was able to clean it over before we used it. Once cleaned, the shower itself was the best shower that I have used. It was a power shower and worked really well! There was a jacuzzi bath which we didn't use.
The bed linen was mostly fresh. There was a double bed, single bed and a camp bed. The pillow on the single bed had a few stains on it and there was a long hair under the pillow of the double bed so we slept on towels during our weekend stay. All 3 mattresses needed renewal as they were very uneven and bumpy.
During our stay we realised that the hotel was a dog friendly hotel which meant that guests can take their pet dog with them to stay at the hotel. However, there were limitations to where they were allowed to go in the hotel. They were allowed to go in the hotel room and main reception area only. Luckily for us, we own a dog ourselves, so being a 'dog friendly hotel' didn't bother us, but it may do for others..... especially if its not clearly stated.
The breakfast and evening meals were really nice. Both buffet style. Breakfast was either a full english or cereals and toast, and the evening meal was a carvery. Plates, glasses, cutlery etc were clean.
I would stay at the Grand hotel again providing they renewed the mattresses and ensured their bathrooms and bed linen were 100% clean. Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. Showers are sanitised every three months, the last time being July 2011 so I am dismayed to read your comments and of course will be looking into the situation.
Housekeeping have staff on daily who would have been more than happy to change pillows or mattresses at any time.

Thank you for the favourable comments about the food and the staff.

Hopefully now we are aware of these comments we can work to ensure it does not happen again.

Reviewed August 28, 2011

was a we bit anxious about some of the reviews,before we went to the grand hotel. From start to finish we all had a great time.We travelled with glenton tours,which are excellent,and very helpful.Our driver was called Gary,he was a real gentleman.He is a credit to the company.the staff and management was nice and helpful,especially James.the rooms,okay are a bit dated,but clean,what do you look for in a two star.they were clean ,bed very comfortable n spacious,food was good,breakfast n dinner excellent. entertainment was 1st class,every night.llandudno is so beautiful. the weather was lovely,people are so nice and friendly. please ignore bad reviews.as im very fussy especially the rooms and bathrooms.can only praise it. wish we were all still their. Hotel is very central for everything,your right on the beach close to the lovely shops.please go on the great orme, its amazing. will be booking up with glenton tours to go back.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 420 it was great.also it was a seaview. brilliant.the hotel also does premier room...
2  Thank johnnyuna

Thank you so much for your very favourable review. We are so pleased you had a great time and of course we look forward to entertaining you again in the future.