“Great little restaurant!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Went here for my sisters 18th. Service was brilliant. Very friendly waiter. Portions were absolutely fab and great value. Would definately recommend.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I first heard of this restaurant via a friend's recommendation. She mentioned that the vegetarian options were really good and the prices were very good as well. On a cold night me and Mum decided to go out for a meal as none of us could be bothered to cook and I remembered that I wanted to eat here for a long time, so we decided to give it a try. I have to say I was very pleased, the food was amazing, the waitress was very friendly and not intrusive the set menus are a really welcoming price, nice little place that it's only down side is the fact that is so hidden away, I have been living in town for 3 years and only when my friend mentioned it, did I realize it was there.
I have to admit that for such a good value and amazing food was way too quiet, it was only me and mum the entire evening. I guess that is something that happens at this time of the year anyway.
I will defo recommend this place to everybody and I will certainly come back for some more amazing vegetarian dishes!

1  Thank MarciaMoreira
Reviewed November 4, 2012

we found candles by reading the reviews on TA . we were looking for somewhere with a good choice for vegetarians and were delighted to read that Candles offered a great choice, and even had a four course vegetarian menu with lots of variety within it that didnt cost much more than just the mains.

we arrived when the restaurant was empty ( i guess it had just opened as it was 5.45) we hadn't booked and were almost disappointed as we were told they were fully booked that evening. fortunately we were told we could be squeezed in before the party of 5 who had booked our table arrived, but they would need the table by 8pm. this gave us two hours which we felt would be plenty. at no point did we feel rushed to free the table for the booked party, and were ready to leave with 20 mins to spare, but would have liked to have spent longer so booking is essential if you want to make a night of it.

as i said the choice on the vegetarian menu was great ( at least 5/6 starters, the same for mains and dessert) and not just the usual mushroom risotto you get in other places.
for our main course i chose the mushroom stroganoff which was delicious and so rich tasting you would have thought it was a meaty sauce, my hubby had barbeque quorn sizzler which was just as delicious. the portion size was ample and with the additional option of salad or veg was more than enough. the starters were fab and the desserts were lovely, all topped off with coffee and biscuit. this was amazing value for money, including half a litre of wine and a speciality beer the bill came to £48 which for the quality and choice of the food was fantastic.

the service was very friendly and welcoming to us and all that came in after us. the atmosphere was warm and comfortable and even though there was a large group of people celebrating a birthday still felt intimate.

we would not normally spend so much on a meal, but as it was our anniversary we splashed out and we were glad we did. Candles is now on our must visit restaurants and next time we will book.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Wow what a find. I was looking for something different and saw the reviews and thought we would try this exciting restaurant. It is cosy, has great freshly cooked food and wonderful service. Now we know it is there we will make this a regular when in Wales. The menu has something for everyone and the set meals are priced well. The only issue was what to choose. The staff were friendly and attentive without a feeling of being watched.

Great place you must try it.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

A bit expensive and the portions were huge, perhaps smaller portions would reduce the price. A very nice place to eat for a treat. The three course meals for £17.99 but if you wanted one course it would worked out more expensive