“A lovely surprise”

Ranked #12 of 59 Hotels in Llandudno
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A lovely surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this very attentive and customer friendly hotel. Nothing was too much when our pre theatre meal over ran which waiting for our superb dessert (raspberry soufflé) and taxi still not arrived. The proprietor whisked us away to our venue for a performance of the Welsh National Opera in his own car. Stunning service. I had a wonderful experience of warmth, great food and attentiveness which still makes me smile and feel contented.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank RONMAC26
StTudno, Manager at St. Tudno Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Thank you for your kind words. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us whilst going to see the Welsh National Opera and look forward to welcoming you back.
PS: Mr Bland is pleased he could be of assistance and yes, I agree, the raspberry souffle is definitely worth waiting for.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

A wonderful hotel confirming our impression from several visits over the years.
The really exceptional factor though is the food, which is consistently excellent and very well complemented by a strong and diverse wine list. The hotel justifiably prides itself on the quality of its chefs and kitchen. Breakfast is also especially good being cooked to order and including rare treats like kidneys as part of the grill, so a long way removed from the increasingly common breakfast buffet using high temperature lights to heat - and dry out - the food.
The proprietor Martin Bland is very much involved, greeting and helping us on arrival and similarly on departure. He’s ably supported by a very pleasant, helpful and professional staff. Indeed the hotel almost feels like a big family.
The hotel itself is traditionally and tastefully decorated and very well maintained.
We intend to return before too long.

3 Thank travel-on-two
StTudno, Manager at St. Tudno Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review. It is nice to know that all of our hard work, effort and attention to detail is appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

St Tudno has obviously been very successful, see all the award plates proudly displayed around the reception area, my only concern is that they all seem to be dated before 2007. What has happened since then? The décor is now showing it's age and really the place now needs a total refurbishment to bring it up to a modern standard. Room sizes are "cosy" but that is a function of converting a Victorian town house into hotel and trying to provide en-suite facilities. On the plus side the staff are very attentive, pleasant and helpful. The food was well cooked and presented with some very precise cooking and flavouring. There are many establishments providing hospitality in the price range of this hotel, I think that I would seek out a different one the next time we want a break.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank CestmoiWales
StTudno, Owner at St. Tudno Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for your review and I am delighted to hear that you found the staff to be ‘very attentive, pleasant & helpful’ & that ‘the food was well cooked and presented with some very precise cooking & flavouring’. We do pride ourselves on both our service and food and receive a lot of extremely favourable feedback particularly by word of mouth. We train our staff to a high level of competence and only employ the very best. Having commended our hospitality so highly I do not quite understand your finishing comments. Our bedrooms are of varying sizes, some are ‘cosy’ and some are larger, all are comfortable with little extras such as fresh milk in minibars and Molton Brown toiletries. Yes, we have won many accolades over the years including ‘Best Seaside Hotel in Great Britain’ from the Good Hotel Guide, ‘Seaside Stunner’ from the ‘Which’ Hotel Guide, Johansens Hotel of the Year and many others. Currently we hold a Gold Award from Visit Wales, a Certificate of Excellence from Tripadvisor, an AA Inspectors Choice Hotel Award (dated 2012), all viewed at reception and 2AA rosettes for our food (plaque displayed in our restaurant); Two of St Tudno’s chefs are currently the Junior and Senior North Wales Chefs of the Year. (Jack was in fact runner up Welsh Chef of the Year). We also have an Award of Excellence for our Afternoon Teas from the British Tea Guild. We are sorry you were “disappointed” and hope you might just try us again and I think a second visit will see you finding many more positives.
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

First time we stayed here. My partner arranged it as a surprise weekend for my 50th birthday..A lovely hidaway made more special as it was family owned and family photographs made it home from home. From our arrival to our departure the staff looked after us. . I took poorly on the Saturday night and they even found a hot water bottle for me. We had The Rhonda Suite which had great views of Llandudno and right opposite the prom and pier. The food was excellent. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jane S
StTudno, Manager at St. Tudno Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for your kind review. I am glad you liked the homely/family feeling to our hotel. I am sorry you were not feeling well on the Saturday evening and I hope the hot water bottle helped. It is a shame you missed out on the gourmet dinner on Saturday night, but it’s a good excuse to arrange a return visit. We hope feeling poorly did not spoil your birthday weekend too much and look forward to welcoming you back.
The English Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

As always a "Home from Home" experience with friendly and familiar members of staff greeting us.
We stayed in the Lorina Junior Suite with reduced winter rates. Lovely sea views and across the prom.
Food Excellent as expected.
Thanks to the whole team we were looked after from the moment we arrived to the point of the our departure!

Room Tip: Pay extra and get a sea view!
2 Thank Ian M
Dear Mr & Mrs M
It was a pleasure, as always, to welcome you back to the St Tudno to celebrate your Anniversary. I cannot believe 4 years have passed by already. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back next year.....if not before.
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed at St. Tudno Hotel from 17th to 20th February 2014. My partner had stayed there previously and had arranged the trip for my Birthday. On arrival, we had a very warm welcome and were taken to our room which was stunning and had a wonderful sea view. The hotel is located very close to the pier and just a couple of minutes from the town centre. We were given a parking permit so had the opportunity to park outside the hotel. The restaurant provided top class cuisine, both at breakfast and dinner, I also had a lovely surprise when a Birthday cake had been made for me. The staff are exceptional and their attention to detail was faultless, everyone was friendly and polite. I can't recommend this hotel highly enough and will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: We had the Lorina room on the 1st floor with a sea view, it was extremely comfortable.
StTudno, Manager at St. Tudno Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are delighted that you liked the “stunning” room, “wonderful sea view” and the location of our hotel. Thank you also for your kind words about the “top class cuisine” and “exceptional staff”, I will pass on your compliments. I am glad you enjoyed celebrating your birthday with us here at the St Tudno and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here a couple of times before. Very nice position right on the front.

Had a room on the top floor. I think the rooms will need some investment over the next year or so. Shower could do with some attention (room 21).

Breakfast was superb and service at the hotel was excellent.

Can recommend this small hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
StTudno, Manager at St. Tudno Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed a superb breakfast, excellent service and the location of our hotel. I am also pleased to say that we are currently updating quite a few of our bedrooms. Hopefully you will notice some changes next time you visit.