“My mum and dads 60th wedding anniversary”
Review of Iris Hotel

Iris Hotel
Ranked #79 of 144 Llandudno B&B and Inns
Darwen, United Kingdom
“My mum and dads 60th wedding anniversary”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

i booked this hotel for my parents because it advertised a delux room with sea view. The delux room was a very small twin bedded room. The sea view was from a small high loft window which you had to stand up to have any view at all. The restaurant is in the basement - so expect no lovely views while you eat!
I picked up my parents at the end of their 5 days and i pulled the beds out to check nothing had slid behind etc. Thats when i saw the thick layer of dust behind each one. Clearly the cleaner has had a bad back for a long time!
There was nothing delux about that room and i would have expected better for £375 b&b. My parents are 82 and 79 yrs old. I know they have a lift but a room on the 4th floor- really! If it had broke during their stay my mother would have been stranded on the 4th floor.
Surely you could have done better.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed here for one night half board and thought it was excellent value for money! Location couldn't be better, right on the sea front.The room was modern and clean, very comfortable bed and lovely shower room. Staff were friendly and helpful and we would definitely stay again!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
irismanager2011, General Manager at Iris Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us here at Iris Hotel, Llandudno. Should you ever decide to visit Llandudno again, we hope you will choose to stay with us again. If so, please contact us on 01492 868800 to receive a discount on your next stay quoting your tripadvisor profile.
wigan
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here 31st August with some golfing friends for 1 night. After reading reviews on here was dreading it. Turned out to be ok. Had a single room at the back. (no view). Clean and tidy, nice bathroom. Breakfast? Probably up there with the worst I,ve had anywhere. Red bacon? I couldn,t finish my first bite. Disgusting sausage. Tinned button mushrooms? Tasteless. Nice friendly staff but why were 4 or 5 of them standing at the entrance doing nothing like nightclub bouncers? A little leadership from the manager required perhaps? Especially when empty plates needed clearing and cups re-filling. Get your act together Iris.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Wigan
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed one night with some golfing friends. The hotel is in a prime spot on the sea front and is a modern and clean establishment.

The room was a twin and whilst on the small side had a sea view and was clean and modern with everything required.

For some reason only one key card was given for 2 people causing a problem when my fellow golfer went back to the hotel before I did after the night out. Surely it is not beyond the realms of possibility for 2 keys to be provided?

The breakfast was an awful experience. The food was terrible. The bacon was a strange red colour (beef bacon?) and looked totally unappetising. I didn't try it but fellow golfers did and I'm glad I didn't. The sausage was terrible and there is no excuse for tinned mushrooms. The coffee was dreadful.

Generally the staff were not very helpful. There were quite a few staff 'on duty' at breakfast but they didn't seem to want to do anything such as clear plates or offer coffee/tea top-ups.

I rate the Iris as 'average' and would not recommend or stay again.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Richard H
irismanager2011, General Manager at Iris Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would first like to say that we have NEVER served tinned mushrooms at breakfast, they are always fresh and prepared each morning by our chefs. The breakfast is self service and after the initial tea/coffee there are always pots on the buffet table for you to refill your drink whenever you want.

Due to security, we only issue one key card per room. I feel that we could have made your stay alot better, or rectified these problems if ,at check out these issues were brought to our attention before you left and I could have explained all of these points face to face rather than afterwards on trip advisor
Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed just the one night Bank Holiday with family. Worried after reading the reviews here! But, staff v friendly, room clean and comfortable, free wifi, toiletries in room, and lovely terrace garden in front of hotel. Slight downside: bedside lamp coming loose from wall and toilet seat bit broken - wobbly!! Also, there are only two beds (doubles) in the 'family room' - would have preferred two singles for the kids. Breakfast meat not an issue for us (vegetarian) so can't comment on that! A little pricey considering but otherwise a very acceptable stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

stayed 25th of july for 3 nights others half 60th, very nice staff, room very clean beatiful comfy bed, we had the superior room with fantastic sea views, the only thing i did not like was breakfast " beef bacon" what's that all about? went to tunisia and there was no bacon but you can understand that but in llandudno you want full english or welsh

Room Tip: superior room is a must have.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kay r
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We visited 20th-24th August. Stayed in a Premier Upgraded Room with brilliant sea view. The hotel is very modern and spotlessly clean. Sheets, duvet cover and towels were beautifully laundered and snow white. We found the staff courteous and helpful. We were a little unsure how we would find this hotel and as I had booked the holiday for a treat for my sister who is not in the best of health a little anxious after reading some of the reviews and experiences of others who had holidayed here. The breakfast was lovely (We chose to pass on the beef bacon and sausage} and enjoyed the rest of the breakfast on offer. The toaster is still slow but we eventually got toast.
We visited lots of other hotels for a peep and can quite truthfully say that the Iris was by far the better hotel, bright clean and modern. Our experience was a good one and when we did encounter a problem spoke to staff about it and it was sorted quickly. I feel really sorry that others did not have such a positive experience. Both my sister and I wili stay there again when visiting Llandudno.

Room Tip: Upgrade to room 102 or 104 Fabulous views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family