“For food don't bother!”

Alexandra Hotel & Licensed Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: The Alexandra Hotel & Restaurant re opened it's doors mid-may, we boast about the great taste of our food, all is specially prepared by our Executive Chef, we will be pleased to cater for your special requests, please remember we don't do fast food so it may take a little longer but we know you will agree that it will be worth the wait, we open every day from 11am until 9pm. At the moment our special offer on Lunch gives you three courses for only £10.
Harwich, Essex
“For food don't bother!”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

There was a 3 course menu on offer for £12 so we thought we'd give it a go, the barmaid took our order (pleasant girl), as it was early evening & the only other customer was at the bar we were hopeful of speedy service as we were going to the theatre that evening. after 25 minutes we still had no starter (soup & prawn cocktail so nothing too complicated!) & asked the barmaid was there a problem who said she didn't know what the problem was but "he's always like this" meaning very slow serving the food! We cancelled the meal as were short on time & paid £5 for two J20's (which we thought expensive). The toilets are dirty & need a good clean. I can't speak for the hotel but the food service is terrible.

Visited May 2012
14 Thank whitbyabi
Johnmh156, Director of Sales at Alexandra Hotel & Licensed Restaurant, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Well for someone who didn't actually eat anything , I find your comments about our food rather stupid, how can you comment on something which on your own admission you never tried, but you decided then rather spitefully to start to ripapart everything from the price of the J2Os to the toilets, then if that wasn't enough made a implied snide remark about my hotel, it's a pity we can't sue people like you for deliberately trying to ruin someone's business.

Gold Coast
“Good value”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Good value,loved the trivia questions on our table as it gave us a laugh,not to mention got our brains working. The heating in the resturant was far too hot which made it stuffy.otherwise we had an enjoyable evening.

Visited April 2012
Rhyl, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

everything was as it should be ------ very nice, clean, warm,comfortable, very well priced and VERY FRIENDLY!! staff and owners

Visited November 2011
Buxton, United Kingdom
“Awful food!!”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

This was a hotel with a brilliant location, close to everything any tourist could need. However we were meant to be having the 3 course sunday lunch, but as the bar man/waiter was a little slow as he was doing two jobs at once and running up and downstairs with food we opted to start just with the starters. The waiter bought the four prawn cocktails down the stairs and 2 soups, and to our disguse the food was off!! he said that he was a trained chef and said that the prawns were not right. The couple also on the other table had said the same that the prawns weren't right. All 8 people in both parties left the hotel and refused to eat here. I would not recommend the food to anyone. Beer is good and the roooms are ok.

4 Thank Cooper94
Johnmh156, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel & Licensed Restaurant, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Whilst no one likes a meal that doesn't taste right or at least not to the person having it,but to condemn out of hand something which you haven't tried is a bit harsh, its also not exactly telling the truth, to damage someones business with a headline like "Awfull Food" is bad enough, but when its based on tasting a single prawn, then thats just plain unfair and a gross exageration, these people had the same prawns as another customer in the restaurant and he said his were fine, these people had nothing else and were clearly hell bent on causing as much fuss as they could, as for awful food, sorry but that statement is untrue, they tried a prawn,or at least one of them did, nothing else, they then went on to make a big deal out of a tiny matter, so please consider this before you go around condeming someones business and a chefs reputation.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Was looking for a nice little restaurant, and found it!!!”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was looking for a reasonably priced restaurant that served British style food that was reasonably priced. I went into the the Alexandra, and the place was empty, but the guy at the bar, an Indian called Ponan (I think that's how to spell his name!) immediately made me feel welcome, so I ordered gammon steak with chips, pineapple ring, peas, salad and a fried egg. While I was waiting for my meal I chatted to Ponan, and we talked about this and that, as you do, and I can say that his friendliness made my stay a lot better.

When the meal finally came, it was nicely cooked and fresh, and the gammon was succulent and tasty, with the chef's special sauce. He forget to cook the egg, and I forgot about it too, till he came over 10 minutes later with it! The meal was about £6.99, and I had a drink with, bringing the bill to about £10; I left a tip for Ponan. Anyway, I recommend the Alexandra for decent reasonably priced food.

• Visited July 2011