“Surprised, pleasantly surprised”

Y Review
Ranked #72 of 216 Restaurants in Llandudno
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: With stunning views of Llandudno's bay Venue Cymru's Y Review Restaurant offers lunch and pre-show dining. Located on the first floor the relaxed atmosphere combined with quality, local and regional Welsh produce makes it the perfect way to dine.
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Pre show dinner, with my wife and son and his wife, what started as this will do moment, turned out to be really good, not brilliant but much better than expected. Though the seats are uncomfortable, and the decor, cafe ish, the food was good, the starter pork terrine was delicious, the steak, rub eye a steak I never eat, as for me it will always be roasting meat, was very tasty, spoilt only by the old fashioned plate filling concept of large greasy onion rings, never understand that but there you are, none the less, the whole experience was quite good, but could be much better if the chairs and decor was upgraded.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I had read the reviews on trip advisor an booked to see Sarah Millican on Saturday 1st February. We booked a pre show dinner.

The staff were helpful an friendly an attentive, the menu was nice with a good choice.

My wife had the Hamhock with deep fired poached egg, which she said was lovely. Although is sounds odd it wasn't greasy an lots of flavour. I had the chicken liver pate which was nice a nice slab of pate with thick toast!

For the main course my wife had the saffron rice risotto with Salmon. Again a nice plesent meal I had the beef stew with mash an parsnip crisps. The beef was tender and really nice.

I did see the people who had ordered the steak and that was huge with big onion rings.

For dessert inhad the dark chocolate tart an my wife had the orange pancotta. Followed by coffee.

The whole meal was really nice and we also were asked if we wanted interval drinks was very good.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We went for a pre show dinner last night.What a fantastic meal we had, staff were great,the 3 course meal was fantastic all washed down with a nice bottle of wine. The total cost for the two of us was a little over £60 ,worth ever penney.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We were there for a pre theatre dinner. We were shown to our table straight away and the outlook from the table was lovely-the Great Orme &Pier lit up. The restaurant was quite busy but the atmosphere was relaxed.
Menus were brought after a short while of sitting down & the table was set up very well with linen napkins, not paper! & something we normally have to ask for - a jug of iced water.
The waitress gave us enough time to chose our meal, before coming back. We ordered two glasses of wine & the starter & main.
The wine arrived straight away and the starter shortly afterwards. For the starter we both ordered chicken liver pate with toasted brioche, which was lovely & hot ! (plus an extra small plate of same)
& caramelised onion chutney with a very fresh mixed salad & thankfully not a mountain of salad! - just enough.
We both had for main, salmon risotto with deep fried spinach on top - really delicious! & to finish two white coffees, lovely & hot too! Served with choc mints.
The bill came to £35.90 plus 4 glasses of wine & we left a £10 tip as we were so impressed with the food & service.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

My wife and I visited Y Review for our pre Christmas lunch. It was our second visit, and as the first had been so good we wondered if it would live up to expectations. It certainly did, we dined off the panto menu, we both had the smoked salmon starter, I had the salmon fillet which was cooked to perfection, followed by Christmas pudding, and my wife had the turkey dinner followed by a crème brulee. The portions are not huge, but they are adequate, when you eat quality food, you find you don't need so much. Personally, we feel the prices are too cheap for the quality of the cuisine, it could lead to people thinking it was, as someone mentioned a " Greasy spoon".
However, the standard is somewhat lowered by the front of house presentation. We have found the staff both attentive and pleasant on both occasions, but poorly trained. After being shown to our table, the waitress proceeded to tell us about the menu while we were still removing our coats. When my wife asked what wines they served by the glass, the waitress told her, " Red and white". Then when the wine arrived, the waitress placed my wife's wine glass to her right, and reached across the front of me to place my glass on my left!
This is a great restaurant, with a promising future as Llandudno's premiere dining venue, but the front of house really needs to sharpen it's pencil, and raise the standard of service to match that of the food. Also, the management should be replying to the reviews on this site, if only to demonstrate that they care about customer's opinions.