“lovely hotel good value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bay County Hotel

Bay County Hotel
Ranked #30 of 59 Hotels in Llandudno
burnley
“lovely hotel good value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just returned from a weekend break at the County Hotel and and can say I found it far superoir to the Bay Marine. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I would like to say a special mention to Anna our waitress who was very efficient and pleasant. The food was good and very well served. The entertainment was ok and we even got some on Sunday night which you usually don't get at most Shearings hotels. There is usually space to park outside the hotel and it is free unlike further down the promenade. It is quite a walk to the pier but a pleasant one along the promenade next to the sea but it is well placed for the theatre. I booked a superior room with seaview and it was lovely and clean and well worth the extra cost. I would recommend this hotel as I feel it provides good value for money and for me I found it far superior to the Marine which we stayed at the end of May with the exception of the location (the Marine is better placed for the shops and pier etc )but for everything else food,service, rooms I feel the County is far better.

3 Thank deborah028
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Deborah028
Thank you for your brilliant review I am delighted you enjoyed your Superior room and the value for money we offer. I will pass on your comments to Anna in the dining room.

Andy Travis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Had a very nice break in this lovely well located hotel with friends. Staff very friendly and hotel spotless. Lovely quiet room on 3rd floor but disappointed no shower. Meals lovely and service excellent. Warm welcome at reception like most shearing hotels we have visited. Parking no problem-outside hotel and free. Entertainment was ok , the resident singer and host was good. Well situated lots of places to visit, good shopping centre and plenty of bargains to be had in local shops. We visited Caenarvon and also Anglesey . Would have preferred longer evening meal slot as was bit rushed if you have been out for day but that's personal choice . Our first trip to Wales was most enjoyable and we look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: If you want a shower ask for one when booking or ring up to ensure you get one.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 186478Marilyn
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear 186478Marilyn
It sounds like you managed to fit a lot into your first visit to Wales. We hope to see you again many thanks for your review.
wa7 6nn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

went to county hotel for a long weekend its in a lovely spot right opposite the beach and long promenade. The staff were lovely especially Anne our waitress she was so pleasant and realy efficient nothing was too much trouble. We had a room with a seaview which was nice the entertainment was ok more suited to the older clientelle . Lots of things to do in Llandudno we went for a walk up the Great Orme which was quite hard work but you can get a chairlift or a tram well worth the walk for the view from the top. I would recommend this hotel for people without children. The food was lovely and plenty of choice.

7 Thank irenewrexham
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear IreneWrexham
Many thanks for your review I am delighted with your comments and totally agree the walk up the Great Orme is not for the faint hearted but well worth it for the views of Llandudno and Conwy. I will pass on your comments to Chef and Anne.
doncaster england uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

just had holiday at the county. great hotel had lovely veiw.fantastic staff very helpful even found me an emergency dentist which was much appreciated.meals were very good even with sore mouth.
the two nights entertainment were enjoyable even though the artist had to dance on his own after trying very hard to get someone to join in he still made it a good night.our waitress was lovely italian girl always a smile and prompt with good service .we will certainly come back againif we are able.

Room Tip: any room with front veiw
2 Thank mary h
TheCountyHotel, Manager at Bay County Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Maryh

Thank you for your wonderful review. I do hope your tooth ache has cleared up we would love to see you return.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

A good location for parking and I parked outside, just 10 m up the road and left and returned a number of times during my stay with no problems.
Hotel is being refurbished and the bedroom was clean and modern with a sea view in the mirror or if you leant over the desk. It was not sold as a sea view so this was a bonus. The bathroom was a little disappointing in that there was no shower over the bath. This meant lots of baths after out walikng and again in the morning. Thank goodness its not my wayter biill!
The room was comfortable and adequately equipped.
Mealtimes were odd. Instead of the normal 2 hr slot for dinner there was only 1 hour. I arrived at 45 mins into this at 7:15 and was greeted by name, obviously the last to arrive. One course was not available and this was disappointing. The following evening I arrived at 6:50 and when at about 7:20 I asked for a main course was told that the kitchen had closed. I politely said that this was not acceptable and was then offered a meat salad. As I had walked alot during the day I asked for a cooked meal and was offered pork which was mt third choice, of 4, on the menu. This arrived with swede and lots of pettit pois but no potatoes and jellified gravy. I was hungry. I ate it.
I complained at reception and the staff were very good. The receptionist got the restaurant manager who apologised and promised better service next day. The manager rang later, getting my name wrong, to apologise and ask if I wanted a meal. As I had eaten I responded that I did not. He then apologised for the problem and agreed it was unacceptable.
Service was better for the next 2 days but I still felt rushed as I prefer to eat towards the end of the time slot, ie 7:30.
Hotel staff were polite and helpful, housekeepers.and reception staff in particular. Having been a guest of Shearings for 20 odd years I was sad about this experience and hope it will not be repeated at their other hotels.

Room Tip: Adequate free on street parking, premium for sea view may be worth it as on the promenade and good s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank RandallEv
Dear Randalliev

Our evening meal times have been one hour for many years now and we do have a table plan so that we know the names and table numbers of all our guests. My apologies for getting your name wrong when I rang to help you.

Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Hotel ok, right on front. Room at the side could just see the sea in top left hand corner of window! Single bedroom! Single bed, had to ask for duvet and did get 1 on second night, no shower only small bath, only 5 channels on tv, asked about it as other people had Freeview, was told they had paid extra but the ladies I spoke to hadnt!
Food okish but some of the vegatable choices did not go with the main meals!!! Great to see porridge at breakfast, 2 huge hot containers!
Staff very helpful and efficient. Lift to all floors but only 2 people at a time, then bit of a walk to my room!
Entertainment most nights but I didnt go cos I'm not a bingo fan and other not my cup of tea!!!
Went with Shearings overall ok holiday! Good trips + extras available at reasonable price.
Easy to get into town, nice walk along prom, buses round corner!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank glospurs
Dear Glospurs
Thank you for your very fair and balanced review I am sure trip advisor readers will find it very useful.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

We found the hotel very good value for the money you pay. The staff are very helpful courteous and friendly. The food is good and you have a good choice the waitress Beata was very efficient, and friendly she always had a smile. The bedroom was clean and comfortable however it did need updating there was noise from a extractor fan at 6am and early evening. In the lounge the lighting is poor if you want to read or play cards at night.
The entertainment was very good particularly the comedian. Thank you for making us feel welcome.

Room Tip: Don't have room 120.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sandyc007
Dear Sandy007
I agree we are very good value for money. My apologies for the noisy fan I will look into it right away.