“will return but not to here”
Review of Shelbourne Hotel

and 1 more site!
Shelbourne Hotel
Ranked #48 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed July 15, 2011

when for 3 nights, paid £270 for mini suite plus sea view, mini suite was 2 chairs, which were not that comfortable,shower room was ok, bed was ok one side,otherside you had about 3inches gap,always lots of tea bags, coffee and biccies and milk,seaview was good from sitting postion,Breakfast was fast! but hit &miss one day l had massive breakfast next day small then next middle side, we had dinner one evening, best thing l cant say about dinner is theres a wertherspoons about 5mins away lot cheaper and nicer,.Owners hardly spoke to anyone, excpet to ask what they wanted to eat, making the stay a bit uncomfortable, as if you werent welcome.Over all l was disappoint for £270 l expect to come away feeling happy and contented, l was happy to come away, which is sad because llandudno is a lovely place and we will be returning but NOT to the shelbourne

Room Tip: take a sea view, but not th mini suite
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank beakerboy
Susan210457, Manager at Shelbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2011

We are extremely disappointed that you have decided to complain on trip advisor rather than approaching us on a personal level, as both my assistant and I were both on duty during your stay and therefore gave you ample opportunity to register your complaint on a personal basis. Our large regular clientele are more than complimentary on the standard of food served here and praise the breakfasts and evening meals we serve. Thus reiterating the disappointment we felt that the clients didnt have the nerve to confront either my assistant or myself at any point during your stay. We also find it difficult to understand why they did not cut short their holiday if they were so dissatisfied.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

I don't think I have been to any other UK resort that has made me feel as though I actually was in Victorian times. All the hotels are immaculately painted, there are no garish neon signs, no cheap tacky souvenir shops - in fact no commercial activity on the front other than the hotels. This is, in my view, a very good thing! It all makes you feel as though you have travelled back in time to the days of Victorian splendour.

I am told this is all down to the fact that the town is owned by Lord Mostyn (or his descendants), who own the freehold of the whole town and who dictate (in a good way) what can and cannot be done to the buildings - and they clearly do not want any tat along the seafront. Tick!

The Shelbourne is a budget hotel with 16 rooms, a bar and a neat and tidy lounge. It is right on the seafront as are most of the hotels on the 1/2 mile or so promenade. Staff are very friendly and the rooms are clean and adequate. I was visiting with my brother who is disabled. Access into the hotel is good and there are 3 rooms on the ground floor. Breakfast was very good which is taken in the basement.

Would recommend for those seeking an honest budget offer right on the front. Walking distance to the shops, cafes etc is easy - about 5 - 10 mins and to the base of the Great Orme about 20 mins.

Would recommend 'East' Cantonese restaurant, Cottage Loaf pub and The Albert pub.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Huddy
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Location overlooking the sea right in the centre of the promenade is excellent. Welcomed me and my dog with no extra charge for the dog. If you don't have a dog don't be put off by it being dog friendly as it's clean, fresh and tidy, if you do have a dog then your 4 legged friend is made very welcome!
Rooms are basic but better than any seaside room i have stayed in for the same price especially a room with a sea view. Breakfast is simply fantastic with the option of a vegetarian breakfast, i was even given sausage for the dog!!

Bar area relaxed and welcomed my dog. As my headline said this hotel exceeded my expectations and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Hugo2003
Reviewed March 1, 2011

We had booked this hotel for 1 night as we were to see King Lear at the theatre which is very close by. on arrival the manager was very cheery but on learning our evening theatre plans informed us that the performance had been cancelled. this was very upsetting, however Mick allowed us to leave the car in his car park whilst we went to get ticket refunds and pop into town for lunch. we decided not to stop over in light of the cancelled show, and Mick did not charge us a cancellation fee which he was within his right to do so, I am sure many of the large chains would of charged us ! If we book a theatre trip again I would have no hesitation but to book this hotel.did not get to see the rooms but the location is good and the bar looked inviting !

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jane_auden
Reviewed February 26, 2011

we stayed at this hotel for my husbands's birthday and received a warm welcome, a lovely seaview room and a lovely breakfast. the hotel also has a large car park for quests. the hotel is well situated for all amenities and in particular the theatre is nearby. would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank loverugby
Reviewed November 21, 2010

We've stayed at the hotel because of its proximity to the theatre. The hotel is now looking tired, dated and bathroom fittings are past their best. Beds are comfortable and clean but carpets are grubby, tiles in the bathroom are cracked and loose and bath grout was very black and mouldy. Specific room booking was not honoured and we were expected to move. Manager is unpredictable - usually grumpy and surly but can smile occasionally. It's as though his personal home has been invaded by guests - how dare they!! However, Sue is more helpful and the breakfasts are good. Dinner had to be selected in advance so that the meal could be taken out of the freezer!! OK for one night but be aware of what to expect.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank francophile62
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel three times in recent years. This most recent visit was accecptablebut a bit disappointing compared to the others. Perhaps the hotel is feeling the effects of the recession at present. There appeared to be less staff than usual and the place was not as clean as it might have been ( breakfast debris under a sideboard for several days,dust behind the beds and the bathroom not cleaned well during our stay). Meal times were rushed ,with only half an hour for the very early evening meal. The food was well cooked but the menu monotonous, with the same starter and sweet being offered every day.

• Stayed: July 2010