“A once diamond, now a lump of coal.”
Review of East

East
Ranked #14 of 211 Restaurants in Llandudno
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Cantonese with a twist of Japanese
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Having being visiting East since it's opening in various capacities, work, friends , family and usually enjoying ourselves, things have changed, for the worse, much worse!

When I first began coming here there was an extensive menu, that tasted fresh and vibrant and something different to your regular Chinese restaurant.

I now feel after the last three visits and the final straw being last night on my wedding anniversary with our children this restaurant has turned into just "another" Chinese restaurant.

The place was empty when we arrived, me the wife , and our two children.

We were sat, menus dumped on the table by the miserable looking gentleman rather than being handed out individually.

A young waitress came and took our drinks order and was very pleasant and the only reason we gave more than one star.

Food was ordered, our 5 year old son being told by Mr happy that he had to have an adults portion of chicken chow mein as it only "came in one size", I mean it's noodles, how hard is it to half a portion.

Food arrived, starters , my daughter had chicken skewers which were basically just deep fried chicken, I had supposedly, spicy kung do ribs, which were dry, tough and not at all spicy, just a dollop of sauce.

Main courses were served , and whilst there was nothing wrong with them, they were just average, were we used to come to this restaurant as it was a cut above the rest. Now I feel I could have been in any chinese restaurant.

My daughter mentioned she felt the gentleman was staring at us whilst we ate, and he was, I spotted through the corner of my eye.

We finished our meals and tried to ask for the bill, he ignored me three times and in the end the waitress came from the far side of the restaurant and got it for us. Obviously not a hearing issue as she was 20ft further away than him.

Once I put my card in the wallet and showed I was ready to pay, he ignored us again more than once so I had to get up to go and pay, not the end of the world but there was still only 3 tables in the restaurant and he stood there ignoring us, certainly not busy doing anything else.

We paid him and left, we weren't asked if we had enjoyed ourselves or any other small talk.

A shame this was a special day for us, and used to be our restaurant of choice for Chinese in Llandudno, not anymore, standards of food have gone way down, the gentleman running the restaurant has no desire to engage with any customers or help in any way.

A special occasion and let down.

This wasn't a one off either this was the third time, we had left feeling disappointed.

I think their chances are up now, we shall act with our wallets and stay at our favourite restaurant, China club from now on.

1  Thank Family-Parry
There are newer reviews for East

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Been many times and never had a bad meal here, one of the few places in town I can get sushi, the food is excellent, nice friendly atmosphere, not too expensive, staff always polite, great range on the menu and they do special deals/menus for bigger parties, only open during the day at weekends, looking forward to our next visit!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Visited East this evening (06/05/13) with husband and children. From the word go, there was nothing that could fault the place, the staff or the food. We enjoyed a variety of starters and we were advised one of our starters took longer to cook than the others (steamed dumplings) which was no problem at all. We were offered a choice of cutlery or chopsticks and plates or bowls. the children were given regular and smaller chopsticks to try out for preference. The food portions were plentiful but we were not overfaced with food. The chicken with celerey and walnuts is definitely a dish to be recommended. the noodles were also really good too. We were regularly checked for more drinks throughout our meal. Nothing was a problem for the staff. We will definitely be eating here again the next time we visit Llandudno.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Visited this restaraunt on the 27th April. Food was exceptional, had set menu and thoroughly enjoyed everything. Only problem was we ate too much, too nice to leave. No problem with staff attitudes both male and female waiters were great. Will visit again when next in Llandudno area.

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Given the recent reviews indicating poor attitude from some staff we were pleasantly surprised as the staff were all lovely Food was very good. All in all most pleased.