“Perfect intimate dining experience”
Review of The Carmel Bistro - CLOSED

The Carmel Bistro
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Visited the night after valentines (valentines was fully booked). Neil the host made us very welcome and was attentive at all times without intruding on our privacy.
Food was absolutely amazing and the wine was excellent too. Look forward to returning in the very near future. !!!!

Neilpond, Manager at The Carmel Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Dear Alan a

Thank you so much for your great review, despite not being able to dine on Valentines. Neil & I are so pleased that you both enjoyed your evening with here at the Carmel Bistro.

Look forward to you returning soon

Best wishes

Gill & Neil

Reviewed February 21, 2012

After reading such outstanding reviews, I decided to take my girlfriend here for Valentine’s this year. We were not disappointed. The restaurant definitely lived up to the expectations. We were greeted by Neil who took our coats and presented us to our table, a real gentleman! The room was small, but very homely and therefore not too busy. We noticed straight away that our table was larger than usual, which was great because they usually put couples on smaller tables with not much room. The table was very spacious, and we were given a packet of love hearts which we thought was great and different, as well as very relevant for the occasion. The atmosphere was very warm and comfortable, and the music was contemporary, but classy! I was especially pleased with the table put in the middle of the room with wine and candles, so couples had their distance and no awkward empty spaces within the room.

The menu was broad and the price very reasonable, I had the pear and blue cheese salad for starters, which was an adventure for my taste buds, and my girlfriend had the Soup of the Day served with bread, she didn’t share any of it with me, therefore it must have been good! For mains I had the breaded plaice and between pesto potatoes and twice-fried chunky chips, I chose the chips. Now, when this was served in front of me with mushy peas, I realised I ordered the humble dish of fish ‘n’ chips! BUT… the mushy peas were the finest I’ve ever had, very smooth and served with sour cream and chives, while the twice-fried chips were a breath of fresh air to what I’m normally used to. The plaice was good too! This would have passed off in a Michelin starred restaurant. My girlfriend chose the seafood pasta which she loved (and I tried a bit too) – it was cooked to perfection and didn’t taste too fishy as to other seafood she’s had.

Unfortunately, we were too full for dessert (and the chocolate platter truly looked delicious!) but instead we had been given a chocolate orange truffle each, which were so good we saw other customers asking for more, and followed by shortbread hearts dusted in chocolate (both not on the menu and were given to us out of kindness.)
The service was excellent, and felt very natural as it was a family-run bistro. Neil ensured we were comfortable, happy and enjoying ourselves. I especially enjoyed the banter we had about the bistro and the area, which I never have with waiters usually.

We really enjoyed the food and the service of this bistro, the only downside I can think of is that we were too full for desserts!! Really enjoyed the experience, Thanks Neil and Gill, for making our Valentine’s night special!! :)

3  Thank AndrewCymraeg

Dear AndrewCymraeg

Well were to start? Firstly let me thank you so much for all your lovely comments.

Gill & I make every effort to make our guests feel comfortable and more of a person than a reservation or table number, as thats the way we like to be treated when dining out.

Thank you for your remarks about the decour, we work hard to create an atmoshere thats puts guests at ease and allows them to enjoy their evening, whilst still giving them a sense of occasion, and although we're not quite sure about the Michelin star just yet, we are delighted that you enjoyed the food and the little touckes that the evening warrented.

As for the desserts, well theres always next time.

Again so glad that you enjoyed your evening with us.

Many thanks

Neil & Gill.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Our second visit to the Carmel. Again Neil is very welcoming and a great host.
His wife is the chef and I am yet to meet her. The dining room and decor is all to my taste. I love it. Food is spot on as expected.
Bit of a mishap as my meal came with mushrooms in it( bad allergy to them). Neil tried to have them removed, but missed a few. Leaving me a bit paranoid, as they make me vomit.
He went the extra mile with little extras,ie.home made chocolate orange,love hearts in wine glass and hellium balloons.
Well done to the both of you and I hope you get the recognition you deserve.
Julie and David .Glan Conwy

1  Thank juliemm17

Hi JulieMM

Many thanks for your kind review.
It was great to see you both again, and both Gill & I are so glad that once again you enjoyed your evening with us. Apologies about the mushrooms, we'll remember next time.
We are pleased that you noticed and appreciated the effort and extra touches that we like make to make your time with us as memorable as possible.
As for meeting Gill, well, she likes to concentrate on producing wonderful food for you all to enjoy, you never know, one day !
Look out for our new Menu coming soon!!

Many Thanks
Take Care

Reviewed February 14, 2012

Took the other half for a meal for valentines as a last min decision, and was very impressed with everything.
excellent service, great food and very pleasant atmosphere will defo be returning

Neilpond, Owner at The Carmel Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Dear Dan2K

Thank you so much for your kind words, we are so glad that you both enjoyed your evening her at The Carmel Bistro, and we look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Many thanks

Reviewed February 9, 2012

Took my wife to Llandudno for her birthday.
I book the Carmel because of the great reviews.
The food and service was very very good, they couldn't do enough for you.
Excellent value.
The next time we go to llandundo we will not only be eating here , we will also be staying here.

Neilpond, Manager at The Carmel Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2012

Hi Andy

It was our pleasure to turn your special birthday celebration into a wonderful memory for you both. People often forget how lovely it is for me to be able to share in these occasions and to have the opportunity to meet and connect with our customers. Thats a massive part of my job that I truly enjoy. Its wonderful to know that we may see you again and that you have choosen to stay us so that I can spoil you further.

Many Thanks