“Nice hotel let down by restaurant maitre'd”

The Terrace at St George's
Ranked #78 of 205 Restaurants in Llandudno
Cuisines: British, Welsh
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Liverpool
“Nice hotel let down by restaurant maitre'd”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is lovely but restaurant personnel could do with lessons in customer service.
When enquiring about booking a table for two maitre'd was so rude and dismissive told me they where fully booked (despite only five people in restaurant) and if we wanted food we could get a snack in bar.
Obvious he could not cope with vast number in restaurant and gave the impression that life would be easier if people ate in bar. This was also the impression of people I spoke to in the bar.
Left hotel and went to The Grovenor in Chester and spent our £200 on a fantastic meal there.

georgesLlandudno, Manager at The Terrace at St George's, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Having investigated the circumstances, though there may have been only 5 diners in the restaurant we were full with tables having to be re-used as well.
So Robert was right, and it is difficult to say no to guests, but he offered an alternative, clearly though your impression and opinion in how he expressed himself was the damaging factor.
We have to say Robert is not known to be like this, even winning employee of the year 2012, based on guest feedback.
If ever in Llandudno again, please contact me directly, so I may arrange one of our best tables and my assurance of a warm welcome and enjoyable meal and show you the best of St George's.

Stafford, United Kingdom
“Great lunch on a return visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Very good service as it was on my last visit. Great lunch quality food and very good value. Peaceful place to relax.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank jane134
georgesLlandudno, Manager at The Terrace at St George's, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
A lovely and succinct review which sums up what we try to achieve.
Thank you.
Langport, United Kingdom
“Not exactly a cream tea!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Having enjoyed coffee & drinks in the lounge area & at a table in the balcony area we requested a table booking for afternoon tea. We were assured that the table would be available for us, so we were disappointed to discover that was not the case & the four of us had to sit at a small table.
Nevertheless we looked forward to our sandwiches & cream tea. Our teapots & cups arrived swiftly however after 3/4 an hour we became concerned about our lack of food! After further time, the waitress arrived to advise that a problem in the kitchen meant that our order hadn't been processed & she therefore needed to clarify our requests. When the food arrived, the beef & horseradish sandwiches contained no horseradish & when queried, the waitress advised that the Chef's policy now was to have it on the side rather than in the sandwich - it would have been fine if it had been on the side! It eventually arrived, however the cream to go with the scone never did! Not exactly a cream tea!

I did wish to respond to quite clearly acknowledge your disappointment after visiting us previously in the past and enjoying the service and refreshments.
There is no excuse for poor service so I hope you will contact me directly when next visiting so I can personally ensure you receive a window table and the service you had come to expect. St George's is one of the most successful hotels, success based on good food and good service I hope you will contact me and allow me to restore your confidence.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“...but its not a terrace!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

There are windows but even on a hot day there is a surprising reluctance to open them.
Personally I found the menu a little limited and not very adventurous the staff were friendly but a tad defensive.
There was none of my started choice left and the waiter said "well you did book late". Don't want to give the wrong impression here - he was actually quite accomotaing and produced a half prortion of a main to compensate. They did my wife a starter that wasn't on the menu.
The food was good and I tghroughly enjoyed the experience (including the serivice). Would definately eat there again

Visited July 2013
Well thank you for reviewing and your balanced comments. Overall we are very pleased that you have enjoyed your meal, but note some of the points you have raised.
As for a terrace or not a terrace, I would ask when you next hopefully return to St George's do look at our photos and prints of the hotel and you will see there was an open verandah / terrace which is yes now glazed or covered for comfort, however history has kept the name and we are so proud of our beautiful St George's.
wisconsin, usa
“Great view and good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

On a recent trip to Llandudno, we stayed at the St. George's. We enjoyed both a dinner and a lunch in The Terrace restaurant. For both meals, we were able to get a window table, with a view out over the Promenade to the sea that was simply stunning. The food for each meal was also outstanding. The sandwich I had for lunch was so fresh and wholesome! My only reservation is that the service is VERY slow. The menu does warn you that each meal is prepared carefully, so I expected to wait for the food. It was the glacial pace of the waiter service that surprised me a bit. For the price and overall reputation of St. George's, I expected a more service-orientation from the waiters and this was not our experience. No one was rude exactly -- but certainly diffident and slow to take orders, come back to check on us, etc. Overall, the quality of the food and lovely view made each meal a good experience, but it would be nice if the waiters could be a bit more engaged and attentive.

• Visited July 2013
Well thank you for your review and your kind words and balanced comments, but we do take the points you raised seriously and will use them in the next team meeting. It is only by such feedback we can really look to improve, however the impression I am sure, when I hope you do return is to see an enthusiastic and friendly team .