“Dont use lift.”
Review of Merrion Hotel

Merrion Hotel
Ranked #24 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We have been to merrion lots of times.
Always ask for lower floor I don't use a lift. again got third floor, we have a dog which means im
up and down all day he needs the toilet. I am sixty two years old, we went last march when I took my mom and three sisters. we were given ground floor because mom was disabled I am dreading my stay this year again they promise to help and still heard nothing. sorry merrion this will be our last visit, cant walk those stairs no longer, shame.

Room Tip: Tried to get floor on lower fall, never any luck even though stressing I do not use lifts.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank patricia f
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Patricia f
I am sorry to hear about the problems you experience using lifts, unfortunately some people do suffer from Claustrophobia, please email reception with details of your upcoming booking and I will try and move you to a lower floor if possible.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Just back from a 6 night stay at The Merrion...my first...it's a wonderful hotel & ticks so many boxes for us.
On our first night we found our room was far too hot & unable to turn the radiator off, rang reception & Sue, bless her, ran up the stairs to the third floor & immediately moved us to another room where the radiator was off & there were 2 opening windows...at no extra cost too ...as it was a bigger room...so we lost our sea view but gained a cooler room.
Free wifi in the public rooms...ok but would be nice if it was available in the bedrooms too...
But for me the biggest plus was the seating arrangements in the dining room...only on your first night do you wait to be seated...all the tables are numbered & that's your table throughout your stay...so for breakfast & dinner you can seat yourselves ....unlike lots of other hotels where tables are limited & you have to book or queue.....this hotel has enough tables to seat everyone...the staff are amazing too. So helpful & friendly...definitely a credit to the owners of this hotel. Then the food...excellent & plentiful ....the menu is varied throughout the week & there are16 or so sweets to choose from each night....
My dad who is 91 enjoyed every minute of his stay...he especially loved his melon each evening too.
The people staying here ranged in age from young families to very courageous older people who are still able to enjoy life so please don't knock this hotel as it's a wonderful place catering for all ages.
Have booked the Turkey & Tinsel weekend in November...our first but am sure it'll be great fun & company for my dad too.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SheilaStokeontrent
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2014

Hi Sheila.
Thank you very much for you great review, we are delighted to welcome new guests to the Merrion and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.
I am sorry about your room being too warm, we have installed ECO valves on our radiators which deliver more efficient and energy saving heat to the bedrooms, the process has had a few teething troubles but we think we are on top of them now, however great news that Sue was able to move you to a room you were happy with.
I am delighted you have re-booked for Tinsel and Turkey and we look forward to seeing you all again.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

This hotel from the time you step through the front door and book in at reception is so friendly,clean, and welcoming that I have lost count of how many times years I have been returning to it.
Manwella and Jamie on reception the day I arrived where so welcoming and made me feel at home again straight away and even asked me how I was due to me experiencing the unexpected loss of my dear mum. Even the owners of the hotel will speak to you when they see you. Entertainment is excellent especially Ian with his quiz, bingo and dancing. All the hotel rooms that I have stayed in over the years have always been clean and all members of staff appear to be happy working here. Food is excellent and all the menus have an excellent choice whether it's breakfast or dinner. Bar meals are excellent also and the choice again is excellent.
I would just like to say thank you to all the staff for their hard work and also to Paul and Gareth for making my stay so enjoyable. If you have not tried this hotel then do but be quick and book your stay otherwise you may be disappointed as people book for their next stay before they leave so they are sure to get a break when they want it. Parking is good to as they have a garage for parking and their is some parking at the side of the hotel. Personally I have never found parking a problem when I have been staying here. Thank you again and looking forward to my next stay in October with you.

Room Tip: They do not have a pool or fitness centre but their is a very nice indoor pool not far away if you w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank chesterbuddy
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Hi Chesterbuddy.
Thank you for your recent review, I am delighted we continue to provide the standards you have come to expect from us. We are very proud of the whole team in the hotel many of whom you will not see during your stay.
We would love to have a swimming but sadly our hotel would probably fall down if we dug that deep in the basement, we do have an enormous pool across the road (the irish Sea) we can provide towels and a very enthusiastic audience if you fancy a morning dip.
But seriously many thanks for your glowing recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again in October.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

The hotel is exactly what you would want, excellent service, the cleanliness of the rooms was the best I have seen.Location was fantastic, so why do I feel disappointed. It was should we say a little dated.in the decor,especially the public rooms, still can,t understand the large chest display fridge in the dining room.it boasted Wi Fi but only in the public rooms and like the rest of Llandudno only
Seems to cater for the elderly.For the price we paid I would expect a little more,especially the size of it. Breakfast was freshly prepared on mass, so the eggs seemed to be hit and miss depending how early you were..I would probably go back but would leave it at least another twenty years until I am in my eighties

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, because the rooms at the back I think are a lot smaller
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jean L
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Dear Jean L.
I note your comments and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay, the age group in the hotel varies week to week however Llandudno as a whole does attract the retired age group. The popularity of sites like Laterooms etc is attracting a younger age group and we have noticed a change in customers particularly at the weekends, I am sure this trend will continue in the future.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Merrion again in the future.

Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the merrion hotel for 3 nights bed and breakfast, checkin no problems car parking a bonus, room clean and fresh. Didnt eat in restaurant so cant comment but breakfast superb and plentifull. Staff very attentive and nothing too much trouble, wouldnt hesitate to stay there again or recommend to others.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 485,729

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

First time at hotel and last, arrived on Monday 4th march for two night chill out receptionist lovely and manager more than welcoming they gave us a disabled room which was lovely of them we where early so parked car and went for wander and had planned to gone back check in at two and have lunch and a drink in the hotel bar, when we came back we found there was a large funeral party and couldn't get near the bar or seat to order lunch, feel for the peoples loss but we weren't happy that we hadn't been told of this when checking, so we got room sorted and went out booked outside restaurant for that night came back about ten funeral party still there empty bottles glasses strewn out side and very loud drunk people managed to get served gad run out of Stella larger husband only drinks lager so settled for Wrexham local lager sat for a while at the back of the lounge but felt uncomfortable and that we intruding on some one else's grief, next day had breakfast and again staff lovely hard working, decided to book the hotel for dinner, went sat in the lounge for coffee and read papers, was subjected to two reps on phones toting for business, not happy we are on holiday we went out for day went to lounge for pre dinner drinks to be told because of funeral no lagers, no lemonade, shortage of red wine had meal which again reps sat at side of discussing business which we didn't need to be subjected to over dinner, went to bar was offered lager from cans again asked for other drinks reply was run out because of funeral previous day, surely large hotel should of been able to restock all I can say very disappointed

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sussiemac

Hi Sussiemac.
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us, I am sorry you were inconvenienced by the Funeral party at the hotel on the day of your arrival, it is not usual for funeral parties to continue into the evening however the family were celebrating the life of a very popular man and many chose to remain in the hotel into the evening. I am sorry that we ran out of Lager but the volume of sales that day were unprecedented and we were unable to obtain more supplies until the next day. You are correct in that we should have informed you on checkin that there was a large funeral tea on that day, however in our defence we were unaware that so many mourners would return to the hotel, but as I have said they were well behaved and simply wished to celebrate the life of a loved one.
paul Bream

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Fantastic food, clean comfortable well equipped rooms, secure parking, excellent location for beach shops, a very big plus for the hotel is that all the staff are lovely, nothing is too much trouble for them. We have stayed here before and have always enjoyed our stay. Well stocked bar reasonable prices, bar snacks very tasty and reasonably priced. Love the relaxed friendly atmosphere at the hotel, you need to book early to secure the room you want.

Room Tip: Book early for sea view
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Thank you for your recent review, great to see you again during our Food Glorious Food themed break this February, I am please you enjoyed the menus each evening, I hope you managed to see one or two of the cooking demonstrations each evening as well as the wine tasting.
These are going to be a feature each February for the whole month.
Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Many thanks]