“Food well exceeded expectation.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Merrion Hotel

Merrion Hotel
Ranked #25 of 59 Hotels in Llandudno
Peak District
“Food well exceeded expectation.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just stayed one night at the Merrion having turned up in Llandudno at around 6.30pm with no idea of what the town had to offer. The lady on reception was really helpful, letting my wife and one year old see the three available rooms while I showed our four year old the sea anemones on the beach. We stayed in the ground floor room which had sea views and room for a 'z-bed' and a travel cot which were brought down on request and without fuss - thank you very much. All the staff were helpful, friendly and lovely with our kids.

The food was very good indeed; nicely flavoured duck salad followed by perfectly cooked medallions of steak. Generally prefer to see the wine list rather than be asked what sort of wine we like... but hey the sav' blanc was good value. Pudding was also very good. All in all far, far better than we expected.

OK, so the average age of the clientele was higher than we would normally choose but this is Llandudno and from what I can tell the average age of visitor is pretty high!
I think it's a bit out of order to complain about mobility aids and lack of parking - there is a car park and plenty of other options, so can't believe somebody had to park a mile away... Maybe the users of the scooter should complain about a lack of empathy from some of the 'younger' guests?

1 Thank PeteShim
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for you review of your recent stay, I am pleased you all enjoyed yourselves and that you found the staff helpful, we are particularly delighted to have children staying with us and we will always to go the extra mile to make the stay enjoyable for both the parents and children alike.
Your comments about the wine service are most helpful, thank you.
Kind regards
Paul Bream

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

We took our Mum and Aunt for a two night stay to this excellent hotel.As always a most enjoyable experience.The management has to be complimented on the first class cuisine served very efficiently by their pleasant staff and a menu to suit every taste.Our rooms were warm and cosy and we all slept soundly.The Merrion has a wonderful position on the sea front and is convenient for the pier and various seaside trips,boat rides,bus sightseeing rides and a daily Punch and Judy show!We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We had a sea facing room which is always a plus but our Mum's room which needed to be ground flo...
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thanks for posting a great review of your recent stay, I am pleased you enjoyed your recent stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I was sorry to read the comments recently about the numbers of mobility scooters etc in
Reception. My sister and I came with a coach party on the 6th May for 4 nights and I also
have to use a manual wheelchair which I absolutely rely on. Yes, there were quite a lot of
these while we were waiting for our coach to be loaded for our daily excursions but people
should be more tolerant and think themselves lucky that they are mobile and do not have
to depend on such things. I just wish I had known about hiring these scooters - it would
have saved a lot of pushing and wheel turning by my sister and myself - we are 81 and 79
respectively and it,s hard work. Having got that off my chest I must say that our stay at the
Merrion was superb in every way - accommodation, food - oh the food!!!, and the ever
helpful and friendly staff. Never once did I feel that they were doing me a favour when they
had to come and help us to a table or open a door. Bravo Merrion - we hope to see you
again - we would never want to stay anywhere else in Llandudno which we have loved for
many years

Audrey Edries and Gwen Kent.

merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Audrey and Gwen.
Thank you so much for your comments regarding wheelchairs and mobility scooters, I am sure many readers will share your sentiments. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that the service and food in the restaurant were enjoyable. It would be great to see you again soon.
Many thanks
Merseyside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Booked-in my mother for a 3 night stay. Failed to spot a single guest using a mobility scooter/walking frame! Room, with balcony, had stunning views of the seafront.
It was immaculately decorated with large flat-screen t.v. attached to the wall. En-suite was a decent size; shower was excellent. I joined my mum for a couple of evening meals. The quality of the food was fine, with plenty of choice; the service was extremely quick and effecient. Finally, the evening entertainment, was again, excellent. Overall, the Merrion sets the standard other Llandudno hotels should strive to meet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Simon S
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Simon S.
Thank you for a great review, I am delighted you had a good experience at the Merrion and your positive comments will be passed on to all departments. I am pleased to read you comments regarding the scooters, and the evening entertainment, thank you.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Merrion again in the near future.
Huddersfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Very nice on the outside, but when entering you have to fight your way through the mobility scooters and walking frames. First impression is of an OAP home, in reality that is not far off. It was a busy bank holiday in May 2013 and we were the youngest at 65. No where to park the car so it was a mile walk, the lift only has room for 4, we had a room on the top floor and had to give up with the lift. By the time it got to the 3rd floor guests from the floors below were already in it. Plan to go 10 mins before and walk down. The food was very good always hot with the staff unable to do too much for you.
After dinner entertainment is laid on every evening, good if you can get a seat, when we had the time we never managed it as too many guest for the seating, therefor can't pass comment on the entertainment. Room was adequate but get one on either 1st or 2nd floor, some have balconies which looked nice. I can understand why the elder generation come back to the hotel as they are well looked after and it's in a great position.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter M
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your comments, the mobility scooters are very popular and rented by our guests from one of two companies in Llandudno, we remove them all in the evening to a garage where we charge them overnight, however there can be a number around reception during the day as people come and go, a sign of the times I'm affraid.
The average age of our guests is fairly high admittedly, but the same can be said for the whole of Llandudno, many of these guests have been coming to Llandudno and our hotel for thirty or forty years and quite rightly feel a strong bond with the town and the Merrion.
I am pleased you enjoyed the food and service in the hotel and assure you that we take notice of all our customer feedback.
Many thanks
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

My aunt and uncle have been coming here for years which, knowing my aunt, meant it had to be good. She has very high standards and wont even stay at my house! Although Llandudno is not my idea of a great holiday we agreed to stay one night with them on the way to see otehr friends in Wales. It was so lovely we booked in for evening meal, and then booked in for another 2 nights! The food is fantastic; we ate there every night which is normally a pet hate of mine (if you are staying somewhere new you should explore right!?). Our room overlooked the sea and although a little small was well decorated and SPOTLESS. The staff are very helpful and it is in a fab location. Although it is a rather pricey we would stay there again as a treat. If you want loud nightlife this is NOT the place for you as most of the guests are elderly (my partner commented that he had never felt so close to death!) but are all so friendly. Everyone speaks and many people know each other so it has a really nice atmosphere. Definately worth a stay for a relaxing treat style holiday. It has even made me a fan of Llandudno... :-)

Room Tip: Great views at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
I am please you enjoyed your stay with us during the Easter Holidays, I will pass on your compliments to the restaurant ad kitchen and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Following a recommendation from a friend we tried several times to book this hotel but found it full. Given a choice of dates we eventually managed to fit in two nights. At first we felt disappointed as the twin room 112 was very narrow and cluttered with too much furniture for the space available. We kept falling over chairs! The large flatscreen television was mounted high on the wall and really the only place to view it was from the beds. It felt dismal, as from the beds one could only see a rather dreary coloured wallpaper, which was ripped in one part.
However this was the only downside and after organising ourselves better and moving the chairs to behind the door we made ourselves more room.. The balcony was pleasant and looked out over the the front of the hotel to the sea.
We found two problems, a lavatory seat that kept falling down and a non-working lamp. Both were dealt with quickly.The beds were very comfortable and the room warm. The shower room was nicely fitted with an excellent shower unit and good toiletries. A towel rail over the radiator would be a good idea and I did not like the towel rack placed over the lavatory for hygiene reasons.
All the members of staff were friendly and helpful. We found there was an excellent choice on the menu; my meal 'char grilled medallions of steak with pepper sauce' was particularly delicious. This hotel couldn't be better positioned for exploring Llandudno and we found a parking space on each evening.
We shall certainly hope to revisit, but would try and book a better room.

Room Tip: Our room with a small balcony was narrow and a bit claustraphobic. I should imagine the rooms with b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us, I have noted your comments about room 112 and I will see if we can make any changes, as we are an old building, all the rooms are different is size, please give us as much notice when booking as possible and we will make every effort to find the most suitable room.
I am pleased you enjoyed you Steak Medalions in the restaurant, I will pass your comments on to Gareth in the Kitchen.