“lovely little guest house”

Westdale Guest House
Ranked #135 of 146 Llandudno B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and I have just come back from a lovely Easter weekend at The Westdale. The host, Lesley was very friendly and welcoming when we arrived, our room was tidy and the breakfast was huge. Breakfast consisted of the full English plus help yourself to cereals, fruit, toast, fruit juice and coffee – all a great start to the day.

Our room was a small twin room (all that was left for the weekend) and although we had to share a bathroom, this was not a problem because there were plenty of facilities on the same floor plus we had our own sink in the room. It was a freezing cold weekend but the room was warm and cosy even without the heating on.

Each room has a TV plus there is a communal living room downstairs wit a large TV and a plentiful stack of DVDs and a large amount of books to read. The reception area has a good choice of leaflets on Llandudno area attractions. It is true what some people have said about the decor – it is a little tired and could do with a thorough clean but I guess this could be done given time and a bit of peeling wallpaper here and there doesn't harm anyone.

The guest house is situated in a good location, about equal distance from both the north and west beaches, pier, Great Orme tramway/walks and the town centre (within 10 min walk of each) and right under the towering Great Orme. The road is very peaceful, safe and there is ample car parking space.

Overall, The Westdale is a nice place to stay and we would recommend it. Don't expect luxury, you pay more somewhere else for that. We paid a total of £132 for three nights B&B on the Easter bank hol and with the money we saved from not booking at more expensive B&Bs, we managed to eat out well every night.

Gripes – not many but worth considering if Lesley and Simon read this. Our room (No 2) had thin walls adjoining the next room (No 3) and we could hear everything they said and did and they did wake us up in the middle of one night and kept us awake for a while – some insulation in the stud wall would help. Our window did not open so it might be stuffy in summer – worth considering.

Otherwise great, thanks.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank walkleytravellers

Reviewed February 27, 2013

we have just spent 2 nights at the westdale and were very pleased overall with the service, our double room on the first floor was satisfactory, didn't get to speak much to simon, but lesley was very welcoming and helpful, comfy bed and very generous breakfast, [i'm vegetarian, but this was no problem], veggie sausage, hash browns, beans, mushrooms, egg, and b+b, followed by toast, cereal, fruit, and tea, [must be the sea air] we dont stay in llandudno much as we live fairly close by, but decided to stop over after seeing a show in the town, but if the situation arose again, we would be very happy to go back there, thankyou both.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank peter l
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I booked into the Westdale on a spontaneous getaway to Llandudno. At the time I just wanted the cheapest room available. The Westdale topped my search. However, cheapest room doesnt just mean a cheap place to stay. I found the Westdale to be a very clean and tidy place. The owners seem to be very nice people and they were seen to take pride in their work. I booked into a single room which had everything I needed. Bathroom facilities are shared for most rooms. However, as there were only 3 guests staying that night, there were no issues with queuing. I believe the Westdale offers ensuite rooms aswell so in that sense, all budgets are catered for. Breakfast was of a decent quality and the Westdale has a fair amount of street parking available. This is something you cannot guarantee if you stay in hotels closer to the front. Would definately consider staying at the Westdale again if I revisit Llandudno!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank cmweston
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just stayed at the westdale and had a lovely time. Room was very large with very comfy double four poster bed. Also large bathroom. It was very clean and tidy and for a large room nice and warm. Owners are very welcoming and make you feel at home. Breakfast is very good a large variety of cereals and a lovely large freshly cooked full breakfast. All in all a very enjoyable nights stay for a very reasonable price. Must go back again.
Lee and Denise.
Liverpool......

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Macyma
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed for one night ,on New Years Eve.Chose Llandudno as we love coming to the town,a,seaside resort which has retained it's character and charm while others have gone into decline.Situation and surroundings of the town are beautiful,the promenade is clean and spacious,there is so much to see and enjoy.We had originally booked a Double En-suite room,but this had apparently been double-booked,but we were happy to accept a standard room at a much-reduced price;besides,as our stay was one night only,this was not a problem.Our room,on the first floor,was spacious enough and comfortable.Westdale is a large semi which retains much of it's Edwardian character.The lounge is comfortable and well-furnished,the dining room also.We were made very welcome by Lesley and Simon,the guests were made to feel like one of the family,particularly as this was New Years Eve,and a buffet was laid on for the guests.Breakfasts are excellent,plenty of choice with the usual Full English. Private parking is available at the back of the house,but we had no trouble finding a space on the road at the front.A short walk takes you to the town centre ,and a shorter walk to the West Shore.Having been very pleased with our stay,would gladly return to and recommend Westdale.May I also recommend The Sandwich House,which we discovered on the walk into town.It has opened only recently,and offers excellent and very distinctive food.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James G
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed here on many occasions before and always been great so we booked for a weekend in December with some friends. Have since found out that it has changed hands since we last stayed there. Our friends arrived at 2 pm and went to check in (as it said on the booking form) but no one was there so they went away for an hour and came back, still no one there. They tried ringing the number on the booking form with no answer so went away again. We arrived at 4pm by which time the place was in darkness apart from the vacancies sign in the window. Waited a further 2 hours until 6pm and still no one in so we went in and checked into a B&B over the road as we had to be in Conwy for 7pm.

The lady over the road said this wasn't the first time it had happened. We returned about 9pm to discover lights were on so went to explain why we hadn't checked in. My friends had left a message on the answerphone and they had both our mobile numbers but no one had tried to contact us. When we went over the owner didn't seem bothered at all, no apology or anything. All they had to do was leave a mobile number in the window to ring. Glad we didn't stay there now.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank VickyM834
WestdaleLlandudno, Owner at Westdale Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

I have to respond to this review, firstly, I did apologise to these guests, I also asked why they hadn't come into the building as the door was open (we had other guests in) yes I had made a trip to the wholesalers and wasn't there but a sign was on the reception desk with my mobile number to ring in case of arrivals. I am only human and even though the lady across the road has said" this is not the first time this has happened"? I can say I have never had this happen before.
Sorry to have lost your custom.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

A couple of friends and I stayed here overnight. We got our rooms for an incredible price (I've seen hostels cost as much) and weren't expecting anything crazy. But I was impressed by how amazing the accommodation was. I'm used to hostels, and here I had a single room that was quite sizable with a small TV, kettle, some coffee, and a comfy bed. The lounge was large with a nice TV, and right outside of it was a wall full of movies guests were welcome to borrow and watch.

What I most loved though was when we went down for breakfast and the woman who I assume runs the place (and is, by the way, incredibly kind and welcoming) offered to make us all a Full English Breakfast. And this came free with the room!

I don't have huge standards for places I stay in, but I was blown away by the value of this place considering the price of the rooms. If I were ever in the area again or knew people going to Llandudno, I would recommend this place in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alex G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandudno
Swn Y Mor Hotel
#66 of 146 in Llandudno
St Davids Hotel
St Davids Hotel
#92 of 146 in Llandudno

Been to Westdale Guest House? Share your experiences!