“got to be one of the best”

Ranked #37 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We went on a coach holiday for a long weekend break the hotel is near the pier and close to the main shopping area
It a real gem this place
the entertainment was terrific as was the food all the staff were kind & helpful
We were on the top floor the lift was very old fashioned but it was more efficient than a lot of modern ones our bedroom was clean and functional with a sea view it was in need of redecorating and some new furniture but it was usable
A nice bright dining room yet the opposite was the entertainment room it needs a revamp and with only one toilet serving the ground floor it needs another
it seems the hotel does a good coach trade so it would be worth spending some money
we look forward to returning

Room Tip: If there something that’s not on the menu ask as they are very flexible and will help you find som...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dragfoot
manager4185, Front Office Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate all your comments and feedback. We hope you will decide to visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Once again thanks for a brilliant Christmas Crackers holiday which everyone thoroughly enjoyed, and they cannot wait until 2013 to return. As usual the staff, the food, the cleanliness, the entertainment is well worth returning for. There is always such a lovely welcome and the feeling of "just like home" as many of them say as they return year after year. Superb location for shops, pier and promenade. An absolute 5 stars all way through from myself and all who travelled with me. Angela M. York

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angela M
manager4185, Front Office Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review of your holiday at The Marlborough Hotel. We are so happy to hear that you and your party enjoyed their stay and we look forward very much to seeing you all again this year!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Just returned from the Marlborough hotel after a very enjoyable Christmas break. We were really 'spoilt' by the staff who looked after us so well. On arrival we were greeted with coffee and hot mince pies and cream, which were served in the bar area. Good choice of menu for our 5 course evening meal followed by entertainment with an excellent singer. On Christmas Eve after a choice of fruit juice, porridge/cereals followed by a full 'welsh' breakfast, we had a brisk walk along the promenade, then back to the Hotel for morning coffee. Another walk then lunch at 1 pm, soup and sandwiches which were ample after our large breakfast. In the afternoon we were entertained by the Llandudno Operatic society singing Christmas carols and everyone joined in.
We had a sherry reception in the evening followed by a 5 course evening meal and then more entertainment in the bar area, a music quiz which was good fun. Christmas Day, after another enjoyable breakfast, we had a relaxing morning and then a visit from Father Christmas and we all received lovely presents. Christmas lunch was served at 1 pm and what a choice! Afternoon tea at 4 pm with coffee/tea and Christmas cake and then a gala buffet at 7 pm which was excellent. Entertainment later in the bar area with a lady singer who had everyone singing and dancing. On Boxing Day after breakfast, we unfortunately had to return home as our 3 day break was over. This was our 6th visit to the Marlborough Hotel so thanks to Jean, John and all the staff for an excellent Christmas. Hopefully we will be back soon.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the front overlooking the Happy Valley and sea.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank janus274

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay at The Marlborough Hotel. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your Christmas break, as we pride ourselves on the packages we offer, especially at Christmas. Thank you so much for your continued custom and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Marlborough Hotel welcoming (not much of a floor if you like to dance but good enough to jig around the tables) Comfy beds, plenty of delicious food, entertaiment great. Near shops. Very clean area. Coach holiday for Turkey and Tinsel.
Lift a bit slow.

Room Tip: sea front is good. We faced Great Orme and pier, lovely. Always remember to close life doors when...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

The service and food at this hotel were excellent. The rooms are looking a little tired with wallpaper peeling. The bar area is a little small for the Hotel but give the bar tender his due he was very quick. The food OMG is all I am going to say. Hats of to the chef and his waiting staff. Spot on. Expect a very warm and friendly welcome if you go to this Hotel, Location is good too.

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your experience at The Marlborough Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed the food and service and we hope very much that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I took my Mum on what is probably our 6th coach holiday. In terms of where we stayed this is probably the best hotel we have stayed in and we have stayed at Woolacombe, Newquay and Torquay in the past.

We booked with Interchoice and I can't really fault this company, the booking was easy, I requested a sea view and a walk in shower and that's what we got. The lady taking the booking was pleasant and helpful on the telephone and face to face.

The company also offer a service where people are picked up by taxi and dropped at the coach station. We didn't take up this service and from what I heard from other people on the trip some of the taxi drivers appeared not to know their way around Wolverhampton and consequently the coach was delayed for around 45 minutes whilst we waited for passengers to arrive, so I think this is something Interchoice should look at.

Once we set off we thought we would probably be there for around 1.30 pm but on leaving Wolverhampton were told we were going to stop at Stafford service station, which is only 30 minutes away. We then had another stop at a service station in Chester which seemed to drag the day out considerably.

However, we finally arrived and from the moment we sat down in the lounge we felt very welcome. The staff are very attentive and helpful. We had a cup of tea whilst our bags were taken to our rooms.

I was pleased with our room, it was quite large with a double bed and two singles. It was clean but a bit 'tired' and could have done with being decorated. This is a small point though because it had everything we wanted, tea and coffee making facilities, a small tv and a 'hotline' to the reception desk if we needed it. Also, my Mum and I prefer duvets but the beds had a coarse blanket and eiderdown but, having said that the beds were comfortable, the temperature in the room was comfortable and we both slept well every night.

I always worry about the food on these types of holidays but the food at the hotel was very very good and the chef ought to be congratulated. The dining room was full but at breakfast and dinner we didn't have to wait long. The choice for breakfast was excellent - if you go have the porridge it was really good. If you wanted more tea and toast you only had to ask. The choice for dinner was even better and there were five courses, everything was hot and very tasty and there wasn't anything that I didn't enjoy at any of the meals. I wish the chef had come out of the kitchen to meet the guests because he/she deserved a huge thank you. He was probably too busy and even now I still don't know how the staff in the kitchen served up so many meals, so quickly which were so tasty - I hope the proprietors read this and give a thank you to the kitchen staff!

The staff who waited on the tables also deserve a big thank you. They were very pleasant and provided an excellent service.

The only thing we were concerned about was that on the first night we were told that we had to share a table with two other people. I could understand why as the dining room just couldn't hold such a large number of tables if every couple wished to dine together. However, I felt the hotel should have asked guests if they had any objection to sharing a table. As it happens we met two ladies who we got on with very well and every meal time became an enjoyable experience. But, it could have been a very different story if the four of us hadn't been as easy going and it could have ruined the holiday. That was my only criticism about the dining experience at the Marlborough but I'm not sure anything could be done about this due to the large numbers that were being catered for.

I was probably the youngest person at the hotel, apart from the staff and I was concerned that I would be bored in the evening. However, once again I was surprised to find that the evenings were very entertaining. The entertainers were very good and played some good music. Some of the guests mentioned that they were have liked to play more bingo as there is one game before the entertainment starts but I felt that one game of bingo, entertainment and then finishing at 10.30 pm was just right.

I haven't got many complaints about the hotel but one bug-bear and I know others found this frustrating, was the lift. Most guests had to use the lift because of mobility problems and because the lift can only take four people there were often long queues. It didn't matter to me because I was agile enough to run up the stairs to the third floor but not everyone could do that. However, I don;t think the hotel can do anything about the lift, it's an old hotel with an old style lift and, apart from the queues, it was quite charming and often a good talking point.

The hotel is also situated in a very good location, close to the prom and close to the shops. I've never been to Llandudno before but from there you can visit Conwy, Chester, Snowdonia and we went on the coach trip to Chester and that was an enjoyable day out.

We were quite sad when we had to leave, the hotel is quite homely, we had made some good friends and I thought it was a nice touch for a member of staff to come on the coach and wish us a safe journey home and when we looked back at the hotel a number of the staff were on the steps of the hotel waving us goodbye.

On the journey back we went the scenic route which was much more enjoyable. We stopped at horseshoe pass and at a small town, (can't remember the name) which was quite interesting.

This holiday was for my Mum really, my main aim was to book a holiday that she would enjoy at a place where she could walk around easily and she really loved it, mainly because of the hotel and particularly the hotel staff. As it happens I had a great time too so big thank you's all around to the proprietors and staff at the Marlborough, and the holiday company Interchoice. We would defnintely book another holiday with Interchoice and I would definitely like to return to the Marlborough.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems request a walk in shower. The rooms at the front of the hotel have a f...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Piglet55
manager4185, Front Office Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We are happy you enjoyed your holiday with us and thank you for all your comments, as feedback from customers is very important to us so that we are able to constantly improve the services and facilities we offer. We hope to welcome you back to the Marlborough again very soon.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I went on a bus trip holiday to this hotel. This was the very first time I have ever tried this ( my wife has been on quite a few but could never get me to go as I was always a bit unsure). I have to say that I enjoyed the whole holiday so much I didn't want to come home and the Marlborough hotel contributed greatly to my enjoyment. I found the rooms spotless, the staff very friendly and helpful and the food was excellent. I really enjoyed the evening entertainment - just a great atmosphere

I would certainly recommend the Marlborough to anyone and Llandudnow is a lovely place to holiday.

My thanks to everyone at the Marlborough for a great stay

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Vikingtrader

Thank you for your kind review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your holiday and took the time to write such a lovely review of our hotel. We hope you will visit us again and we look forward to seeing you.