Tripadvisor
Eastbourne
Post
Inbox
Search
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed November 24, 2019

Hotel is situated at the far end of Eastbourne (west of the Pier) so a walk into town is around 15 minutes and to the pier around 7-10 minutes. Pleasant, welcoming and helpful Receptionist and Manager. On arrival no problem assigning a room so not next to my daughter and boyfriend.

The ground floor reception and bar pleasant and has a snooker table and seating area in the Reception and lobby areas. Bar area is ample and good selection of drinks. .

Room standards so so, clean bedding, new beds which were very comfy and plenty of hot water. Loo and shower were in two separate rooms in the room (odd!) and a bit 'tired'. Clean bedding and warm in the room. Tea making facilities but no biscuits or fridge (not a deal breaker). So before you go to your room take some bottled water and snacks. Curtains/rail needed maintenance (I raised this issue with the hotel direct) were thermal and kept the cold out and nose of the road - although this time of year waves crashing on the beach are very loud!

My daughters room (226) was large with a very large bed (8 ft bed!!) and nicer than mine (224) - so I can only suppose that the hotel rooms are of mixed standards. We both had a sea view rooms.

For the price we paid it was sufficient and met our requirements for our visit to Eastbourne. If longer I would stay at a different hotel to meet those creature comforts.

For room only guests for breakfast- I suggest go into town centre - recommend Soup & Tap or at the back roads (left out of hotel, then left and walk all the way to the end to 'Seaside' ) and Bills café to your left for a cheap breakfast. There is also a Sainsburys local just up from the café. For lunch/supper - local pub The Queen Vic also does really good bar food lunch and dinner. very good atmosphere and welcoming and where all the 'locals' go. (left from hotel, first left, walk down and to your right on Latimer Road).

Would probably book here again but only for a short budget stay to use as a base.

Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed November 20, 2019

If I can offer you one piece of advise it would be to never stay at this hotel. We checked in and went to our room to find a broken wardrobe that was tilting forward where the bottom was completely missing, we had and electric light hanging off of the wall above the bed, only cold water in the shower, rubbish on the floor and the room had not been hoovered. We complained and the manager said that the room was not habitable and we should leave as the hotel was full. She did not offer to find us another room anywhere else and we should just leave if we were not happy. This was never going to happen as it was pouring with rain and we had a restaurant reservation with friends. The front of house receptionist then became agressive towards me and another guest as he wanted copies of our ID incase the police had to be called. This was completely outrageous as it was him and the female manager that were raising their voices towards me. We ended up staying but we were never offered a refund. Fortunately i received a refund through Booking.com. Please NEVER NEVER NEVER book this hotel. A night on the street in the rain would have been more pleasurable.

Room tip: not sure if there are any good rooms
Reviewed November 10, 2019

An interesting stay - very cheap in many respects!! The evening member of staff was very helpful but I honestly cannot recommend this hotel for a comfortable stay. Good location though.The view from my room says it all. Avoid room 8 at all costs! For 2 pounds extra I could have had a sea view. Lol.

Date of stay: November 2019
1  Thank Kim L
Reviewed November 6, 2019 via mobile

Visited end October.4 night stay.Room clean,bedding clean.No opening windows, very stuffy, shower very slow, water not hot.Lots of shouting and door slamming at night,not much choice of drinks at bar,lounge was empty apart from some street living people that were staying for a few nights,The TV never worked in any rooms.Was asked for bank details in case of damage, I had paid with booking com,I photographed damage already in room, manager looked and said he had not checked our room. There was no evening meal, breakfast was limited, but we found a lovely pub which we went to,for breakfast and dinner.I know this was a budget break, but never again The whole place needs a makeover, and too many staff not able to answer your questions.

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Marian W
Reviewed November 5, 2019

I reviewed the strand a few years ago and gave it a good review for a good standard budget hotel. visited again with my daughter and son 3 single rooms, as somewhere to sleep they were fine I woke up afer a good nights sleep bed comfortable,then it all started to go wrong tried to have a bath no hot water tried to have a shower no hot water,went downstairs to speak to reception staff explained No Hot water!! his reply oh there is no hot water on that side of hotel but it will be ok by 12:00 great I said what time is checkout 11:00.after explaining I want some way of having a wash and asking to use a room on the other side of the hotel he did resolve my issue.
I have to say from check in to leaving not a good experience.check in issue we had no id.we had all our credit cards etc including the one booking made with why do we need id ?? while waiting more people had no id but we all got to check in so why make it an issue if its not that important.also why let rooms on one side of hotel if you know there is no hot water.Positives hotel clean and tidy Bar prices very good
would never stay again

Room tip: if you have to stay here ask about the hot water issue you do not want to run around the hotel for a bath or shower
1  Thank Mark T