“Basil Faulty was trained here . . . worst hotel I ever been too ...”
Review of The Strand Hotel

The Strand Hotel
Ranked #39 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Atherstone, England, United Kingdom
“Basil Faulty was trained here . . . worst hotel I ever been too ...”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We booked this trip through Travelstyle Coach company in Sept 2012 I would strongly advised anyone DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL or book with Travelstyle.
The hotel is filthy there are cobswebs everywhere and there is very few staff to run this hotel.
It is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and even when you the holiday you book is a cheapish one and the hotel room basic at the very least you expect the room to be cleaned to a reasonable standard. But the first hotel room we were given had NOT been cleaned in several weeks.
The room was tiny and I suspect it was really a single rather than a twin room, the dust on the chest of draws where the tv was had about 2 inches of dust thick on it and hadnt been wipped or cleaned in I think a good few months. The raditor wasnt working and the room was freezing and the wind howled through it and the room had a very damp awful smell it in it make us feel sick.Although the beds were ok and we did have at least clean sheets, However when we went into the bathroom, there the shower had green mould all over the tiles, several were missing and cracked, the sink was filthy and had hairs and had stains all around it and havent been cleaned in weeks and the loo well it was dirty, you could only flush it every hour or so and it was wobbly and leant at about a 90 degree angle and it was modelled on the leaning tower of Pisa.
It is the only hotel I been too that after 30 minutes of checking in I was at reception complaining and I wasnt the only one from the coach doing that. I complaint to the receptionist about the state of the room and poor condition and insisted on being moved and she told the hotel was full up and couldnt move us until the next morning. I had no choice but to accept this and to be fair the nice receptionist did bring a portable healer and extra blankets to our room quite swiftly.
I was prepared to leave the hotel and go home by train if they couldnt move us to another room that how desperate we were. After breakfast we went to reception and we were showed another room that although had not been cleaned as the pervious guest had only just checked out. Never the less this room was 100 per cent better than our first one although we were told this room has been done out It wasnt to a very high standard but as we were only staying for another 2 nights we just moved in and got on with it. Our second room had live wires hanging down from the ceiling in a place in which a light should be. The food was alright basic very little
choice but some of the waitresses were very friendly. During our stay when we asked and several others asked to speak to the manager that person was never available.Everyone on our trip said they would complain about the hotel. Although I would visit Eastbourne again I would never visit this hotel or go with Travelstyle again. Interesting enough when I returned and telephone Travelstyle to complain they told me they had never ever recieved one single complaint about this hotel and told me I was the one at fault, something I know is not true and even when you called their customer services they got very aggressive and rude because you dared to complain, they offered me £40 off my next holiday with them NO THANKS.
So folks avoid these two like the plague, dont waste your money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Crystal H
HRP_Management, Manager at The Strand Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Sir,

I appreciate your comments all which we investigated. You must understand that you stayed in September 2012 and only just wrote a review so it has been difficult to pin point the exact issues you have brought up. Since then the hotel has under gone through a full refurbishment. A lot of money was invested into the building and many new staff were hired and trained to a very high standard. We would relish the opportunity for you to join us and for coffee if you are ever in the area and show you these changes.

Kind Regards

Ankur Aggarwal
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Polish first
Lincolnshire
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We had a fantastic week here, location was brilliant seafront right across the road, we were welcome by very friendly staff who offered us refreshments on our arrival, hotel was absolutely spotless every where, food was really lovely and a wide range of choice, had a really lovely room which was spotlessly clean, had clean towels everyday and room was kept clean during our stay. We would most certainly be returning to this hotel, all the staff made our holiday really enjoyable. A big thank you to everyone who works there.

Room Tip: They look like they have all been refurbished so I'm sure they all should be as nice as ours
3 Thank Oliver F
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We arrived at this Hotel on the 22/02/2013. As we arrived into the hotel it was spotlessely clean and the staff were amazing, we had tea and coffee on arrival in the lounge and luggage taken to our rooms. We went up to our rooms to find white towels in the shape of swans on our beds, again the bedrooms and the bathroom were spotless the furniture was lovely we were really pleased with everything, the food was amazing we really couldnt fault a thing about the holiday, also the entertainment was really great for the three nights we were there. Will deffinately go back. Thankyou all at the Hilton Royal for making our stay so enjoyable. A well deserved 5 star rating on our behalf. L & P Bryant

Room Tip: Don't take any notice of the bad feedback this is a beautiful hotel and well worth the visit.
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

When I first read the reviews on this hotel ,I thought what have I let myself in for and was thinking
of cancelling my trip that was with leisure-time.I was so pleased with this hotel that I must write my first ever review.On arrival we were greeted by a member of staff that came on the bus and welcomed us to the Royal Hilton hotel and expalined that while they got our suit cases sorted please go and have a tea or coffee,The staff was absolutely brillant and there was nothing to much trouble for them,I was pleased to have a room with a sea view,it was clean and tidy and all that you needed a comfortable double bed there was tea coffee television ,The shower was good plenty of water pressure and again the bathrom was very clean maybe for a very big person it may have been a bit on the small side,I had also read of how people was gonig out to eat because the food,well they must have changed the chef because the food was excellant breakfast full English all the toast you can eat and that started with a cereal the evening meal again excellant with three courses and again the staff was so helpful,we was only there for three nights the entertainment was again excellant and each night it was different with a range of music going back to the 50s to todays music,all this with leisure time and it only cost £89 ,The Royal Hilton Hotel Eastbourne is gonig through some restortion work I hope that this hotel will have a far higher rating than 2 stars that it truly deserves

Room Tip: go for a room with a sea view because of the bay windows they are bigger
2 Thank zalander
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

As for the location we could not have asked for more. Parking was outside the hotel on meters but this did not represent a problem for us.
Where do we start with the hotel, we were staying at the Hilton over Valentines weekend 2013.
The food was very poor, limited selection. Our room was overlooking the sea, the room service was poor we had to ask for our bed to be made and our towels to be changed, one occasion our bed had been made but the towels not changed.
We found cob webs in part of the room, we could not open our windows to allow fresh air into the room. The furniture was very shabby and tired.
A hotel I would not recommend.
Albert

7 Thank albert_ann

Travelers are raving about these Eastbourne hotels

Bristol
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Hotel staff had no idea. Waited four hours to book in. Complaints include bare wires in room. No test done on electrical equipment. Paint on carpets. Cold. Shower and toilet absolutely tiny. Food was disgusting with tinned vegetables! I wonder what the kitchens were like. We checked out and went to the Langham Hotel next door.

Room Tip: Don't even go there
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Barry S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have been to a lot of hotels & B&Bs but this was the most awful experience we have had. there was no staff we was put in a room which was so small.The wardrobe was nearly falling to bits, nothing matched. When we actually got in the room after waiting over 1 hour tnwas nt very clean the toilet had not been cleaned we had a present waiting for us in the pan. We could not find the manager to complain. II thiink all the guest who visited this hotel should have a refund of there money. DO NOT GO THERE SHOULD BE STRUCK OFF

Room Tip: ask for aroom at the front
3 Thank JOHNNY38GRE