“Booking a table only qualifies you for a seat but not lunch on time.”

The Cricketers Arms
Ranked #58 of 465 Restaurants in Eastbourne
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2018

This Pub runs a very unusual system. We booked a table, but when we arrived we had to then queue for 20 minutes to order drinks and food. We were then told we would have to wait for an hour before food would be served. Admittedly it was a Sunday before Bank Holiday but I have never experienced this before as customers walking in off the street seemed to be served on the same basis as people who booked in advance.
Apart from this my main course was bland and although it was presented well the salad was thick with oil and the meat was dry and tasteless. My guests were also unimpressed. with there food. Having said this, the staff were obviously under a lot of pressure as it was a hot day and they were very busy. The gentleman that served us was however was polite and seemed unflustered by the situation, but was running an unusual system where people who booked tables seemed confused to put it mildly. I have to say that I would not go back to eat at this pub under despite not being charged the full bill.

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank peterpage
brown5, Owner at The Cricketers Arms, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2018

Thank you for your comments.
We have never run table service or given preferential treatment to tables booked in advance. Booking a table is simply securing one and we are still only a pub and not a restaurant.
Our problem is that we are so popular during the summer months, especially sunny bank holidays, that it’s inevitable that there will be a wait for food and the vast majority of our returning customers understand this.
Nothing was mentioned about the quality of the food to me, but you were given complementary starter tapas and given free desserts plus a substantial reduction on your bill.
Although the whole affair isn’t ideal, I felt we did the best we could in the circumstances.

Reviewed April 22, 2018 via mobile

Lovely garden and pub in a beautiful setting, but for me the food was very bland
Ordered the vegetarian platter - homous was very tasteless, the whole meal was very poor it was supposed to include feta cheese but there wasn’t any on the plate when I queried this I was told the feta was in the little red peppers but it wasn’t in there.
My friend had a Caesar salad which was also quite bland.
It was extremely busy so this may have been a reason.

Date of visit: April 2018
2  Thank Taryn M
Reviewed April 21, 2018

This is surely the archetypal country pub – cosy bars and a garden with plenty of outside seating – and updated to suit a twenty-first-century clientele. That means, in practice, providing an enticing menu with personable and efficient service – which is just what we enjoyed. We shared a baked camembert to start, and followed with a mixed seafood platter (again to share) – which all proved excellent, with generous portions, well-presented, and pleasantly served. Our lunch was especially memorable, sitting in the garden on a sunny April day; and from the pub it was a very short walk to the local church, famously decorated by Duncan Grant and his Bloomsbury friends. Surrounded by the Sussex Downs, this place is surely a part of England at its best!

Date of visit: April 2018
brown5, Owner at The Cricketers Arms, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2018

Thank you so much for your review, we are very pleased you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 1, 2018

Expensive and poor quality food, cold and draughty room.
I had the sirloin steak which was so tough I couldn't eat it. The peppercorn sauce wasn't great as too many peppercorns which dominated the steak.
The chips were tasteless.
A very lack lustre menu.
The service was good.
We're local but we won't be coming back.

Date of visit: March 2018
3  Thank ArtemisHunter
brown5, Owner at The Cricketers Arms, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2018

Sorry you were disappointed with your meal, if you had brought the matter to our attention we would have replaced the steak without question. Regarding the menu, we are always introducing new dishes as we move towards the summer season.

Reviewed March 17, 2018

Have been several times previously and food has been lovely.
Mother's Day food for 4 people arrived 5 mins after ordering. Veg and chips undercooked. Butterfly chicken shnitzel sounded nice but was like eating cardboard. (Took it home for my dog). I think the food had been precooked as they were squeezing 3 sittings for lunch that day.
Dont be greedy....we shall be trying Rose Cottage just down the road next time.

Date of visit: March 2018
3  Thank mofleckney
brown5, Owner at The Cricketers Arms, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We always do three sittings on Mothers Day and up to this point have not received any negative feedback. If there’s a problem we like to rectify immediately and make sure our customers are happy.
Obviously on this occasion you were dissatisfied but if our staff had been informed there would have been a different outcome. We only cook to order.