“Booking a table only qualifies you for a seat but not lunch on time.”

The Cricketers Arms
Ranked #61 of 438 Restaurants in Eastbourne
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2018

This Pub runs a very unusual system. We booked a table, but when we arrived we had to then queue for 20 minutes to order drinks and food. We were then told we would have to wait for an hour before food would be served. Admittedly it was a Sunday before Bank Holiday but I have never experienced this before as customers walking in off the street seemed to be served on the same basis as people who booked in advance.
Apart from this my main course was bland and although it was presented well the salad was thick with oil and the meat was dry and tasteless. My guests were also unimpressed. with there food. Having said this, the staff were obviously under a lot of pressure as it was a hot day and they were very busy. The gentleman that served us was however was polite and seemed unflustered by the situation, but was running an unusual system where people who booked tables seemed confused to put it mildly. I have to say that I would not go back to eat at this pub under despite not being charged the full bill.

1  Thank peterpage
brown5, Owner at The Cricketers Arms, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2018

Thank you for your comments.
We have never run table service or given preferential treatment to tables booked in advance. Booking a table is simply securing one and we are still only a pub and not a restaurant.
Our problem is that we are so popular during the summer months, especially sunny bank holidays, that it’s inevitable that there will be a wait for food and the vast majority of our returning customers understand this.
Nothing was mentioned about the quality of the food to me, but you were given complementary starter tapas and given free desserts plus a substantial reduction on your bill.
Although the whole affair isn’t ideal, I felt we did the best we could in the circumstances.

Reviewed May 4, 2018

Great to see a new Chef in the Kitchen and even better that both Chefs seem to be working with each other. It's easy to tell because the food leaving the kitchen has vastly improved during the past few weeks.

I'm a fairly regular visitor at The Cricketers and had actually not been ordering much food of late simply because it wasn't very well cooked. As a regular customer you soon build up a picture of why things might not be right but feel awkward about saying too much.

The past few weeks have seen a tremendous improvement from the kitchen and this in turn has had a very positive effect on the front of house staff. No longer do I see many plates of food being returned during a service and I can honestly say that everything I've had over the past few weeks has been spot on. Steaks cooked exactly as ordered and whoever is making the Lemon Posset should receive a well deserved pat on the back. Smooth as silk and just amazing.

Service at the Cricketers has never been a problem in all the time I've been visiting but it's true to say that with the kitchen now sending out food to a much higher standard, the whole thing seems to work much better and there is more of a feeling of passion about the place. Happy staff, great food and I for one, am a very happy customer.

What would make it better?

Only my suggestion but some nicer chips. Perhaps a touch of the Gordon Ramsey and go chunky on the chips and do something with the peas. Maybe just a little butter or something to make them a little more interesting.

The Gin Shelf seems to have expanded which is really good to see. Perhaps a little more in the way of good quality Malts would go down well. Certainly all of the Classics and maybe one or two that might be just a little bit more special.

Looking forward to more of this over the Summer in that beautiful garden.

Fantastic job guys. Thank you.

Kind regards

Iain

Reviewed April 22, 2018 via mobile

Lovely garden and pub in a beautiful setting, but for me the food was very bland
Ordered the vegetarian platter - homous was very tasteless, the whole meal was very poor it was supposed to include feta cheese but there wasn’t any on the plate when I queried this I was told the feta was in the little red peppers but it wasn’t in there.
My friend had a Caesar salad which was also quite bland.
It was extremely busy so this may have been a reason.

2  Thank Taryn M
Reviewed April 21, 2018

This is surely the archetypal country pub – cosy bars and a garden with plenty of outside seating – and updated to suit a twenty-first-century clientele. That means, in practice, providing an enticing menu with personable and efficient service – which is just what we enjoyed. We shared a baked camembert to start, and followed with a mixed seafood platter (again to share) – which all proved excellent, with generous portions, well-presented, and pleasantly served. Our lunch was especially memorable, sitting in the garden on a sunny April day; and from the pub it was a very short walk to the local church, famously decorated by Duncan Grant and his Bloomsbury friends. Surrounded by the Sussex Downs, this place is surely a part of England at its best!

brown5, Owner at The Cricketers Arms, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2018

Thank you so much for your review, we are very pleased you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 1, 2018

Expensive and poor quality food, cold and draughty room.
I had the sirloin steak which was so tough I couldn't eat it. The peppercorn sauce wasn't great as too many peppercorns which dominated the steak.
The chips were tasteless.
A very lack lustre menu.
The service was good.
We're local but we won't be coming back.

3  Thank ArtemisHunter
brown5, Owner at The Cricketers Arms, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2018

Sorry you were disappointed with your meal, if you had brought the matter to our attention we would have replaced the steak without question. Regarding the menu, we are always introducing new dishes as we move towards the summer season.