“Quaint”

Congress Apartments
Ranked #26 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Good breakfast table service.

Over sixties it seems. It was OK. I'd do it again. I like big old houses, this was a rabbit warren of stairs and doors. Can imagine giving up and sleeping on landing if anebriated which I wasn't! Run a ball of string from your door handle. LOL!

Room Tip: Seems bang in centre of sea front and train station.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Dean B

Reviewed July 10, 2014

I arrived in Eastbourne by train, on business, and carrying four different pieces of luggage. My taxi driver from the railway station was very helpful, not so the hotel on arrival...

The front door of the hotel was locked and I spent several minutes ringing every bell and knocking on the door trying to get attention. In the end, a disabled guest in a wheelchair struggled through the first interior door to get to the front door and with difficulty opening the front door to let me in. This was a disastrous first impression.

Once I was checked in I made my way upstairs, without assistance, now struggling myself with four pieces of luggage through the narrow corridors. This wasn't appreciated either, but I began to learn that the hotel seemed to have just one lonely member of staff on duty and this was before 10pm.

The route to my room was odd, going up some stairs and back down again in order to get to it. Thankfully though, things got better once inside my room - it was large, airy, with a high ceiling and a very comfortable bed. Sure, it looked dated but provided a comfortable base for my three night stay.

The full English breakfast is cooked to order which is a good thing, but there are signs that costs are being watched carefully. The breakfast lacks mushrooms, black pudding and hash browns and there didn't appear to be any option to add these. There are Heinz holders for plastic sachets, but only generic own brand sauces therein and crusts were used for my fried bread.

Despite me staying on business my wife, aunt and uncle joined me towards the end of my stay. On our final morning we thought we'd have breakfast together. My wife and I joined my aunt and uncle after they had begun their breakfast.
We asked the waitress, who I think was Spanish or Portuguese, if we could sit together and she refused saying that our table was on the other side of the dining room - out of sight and earshot of my aunt and uncle. I insisted that we'd move to the table for four adjacent to my aunt and uncle and the waitress beckoned me to the other table like a naughty schoolchild.
This I was not tolerating. So the four of us started moving all the crockery and cutlery onto the table for four so we could sit together as a family.
This incident left much to be desired and I suspect if a manager had been present the response to us wanting to sit together as a family would have been "of course" - I hope!

Checking out of the hotel it was a pleasure to find out they use the disused games room as a luggage storage area so you can enjoy a day on the coast even if your stay at The Congress has come to an end.

Throughout my stay it seemed that this hotel targets coach holidays to provide its main source of revenue. Guests like my family and I top this up and sadly I can't recommend or will return to The Congress Hotel.

The reception and bar staff are friendly enough with one receptionist bringing her cute dog into work - as a dog lover this was a bonus! The nationality of the breakfast waitress is included in this review in the hope that this identifies this particular member of staff so that hotel management read this review and offer developmental feedback.

The Congress Hotel has lost two TripAdvisor 'blobs' for:
- Inability to gain access to the hotel on arrival with the disgrace of a disabled guest having to help me get in.
- Seemingly only one member of staff on duty in the evenings
- ...thus no assistance to the room when carrying four pieces of luggage on my own
- Visible cost-cutting on breakfast
- Inflexibility to cope with demands of customers who aren't on a coach holiday at breakfast

This is a great shame as The Congress Hotel has great potential and apart from the breakfast waitress, all staff I encountered were friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
8  Thank ConsumerBloke
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Although this hotel is a little dated inside and could do with better lighting in places the staff are eager to please and nice with it. WiFi was available in most rooms and the comfort of the bed was to die for, just didn't want to get out of it

Room Tip: I was in a room over the entertain room, but it did end at 11p.m. So that was not to bad.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank brendastks10
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This is our second visit to this hotel with our coach. Coach Travel 4u and it was brilliant. There were 38 of us and we all had lovely spacious rooms with nice bathrooms (no shower cupboards here) they were cleaned everyday and the beds were really were clean and comfortable.
The standard and variety of food was very good even for people with special diets.
The staff were friendly, helpful and always pleasant and the entertainment excellent.
We have already booked again for next year and will look forward to it.

Room Tip: I don't think there is much to choose, all rooms were lovely
6  Thank DudleyKate
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Stayed here for one night.

Had a single room which was a very good size and the bathroom which went with it was also very big. No having to step over the toilet to get into the shower here!! However the room had a real mish mash of furniture with no two items of furnishing the same. the rooms were a bit dated and in need of some TLC but it was very clean.

Breakfast was good. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

The one thing that really surprised me that no toiletries were provided. Also the loo paper was very cheap and nasty.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank farmerswife09
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We have just had another great holiday at the Congress Hotel - 31 of us in total ( 2 are 92 yrs young ) and 5 had walking aids.- this is our 3rd visit to the hotel over the last 5yrs and we were made so welcome . Lovely rooms suitable for the age group and a varied choice of food at breakfast and dinner. Evening entertainment most nights which we all joined in
The hotel is within easy access of the seafront , theatres and bus stop into towm .

One elderly lady was taken ill at 4 in the morning and the night porter was quick on the mark with getting the paramedics - luckily this was a false alarm but Linda , the manager on duty in the morning , bent over backwards to ensure our lady was given breakfast in her room and a jug of iced water .

We will certainly be returning to the Congress Hotel in 2-3years time as this hotel ticks all the right boxes

Room Tip: Had no complaints of on any of the rooms we used
3  Thank diane503738
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I took a group of old lady's for a four day brake one of the lady's who is age 93 was unwell she had a bit of a accident on the carpet and was charged £45. I changed the bed when I went down stairs the night porter was a sleep on sofa he woke up could not find any disaffectint no air freshener so all he could give me was a bit of washing up liquid the lady did not really eat all week but did try some rice pudding but may I say I could have put wallpaper up with it did not find food very good it was just basic staff was not very helpful at all rooms were not cleaned every day and dinning room staff not very helpful at all

Room Tip: All rooms a like
3  Thank Gremlin219
CKoussa, Owner at Congress Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

It saddens me greatly to read your review. To state that we are "not very good for disabled" because we charged your friend for her 'accident' on the carpet is, I feel, offensive to guests with disabilities because this was by no means a disability issue. It was, as you told us, due to a change in her medication.

We made a minimal charge, not to mention our loss of income for the 3 days the room needed to stay vacant while it had to be professionally cleaned and disinfected.

This was the only issue you brought up during your stay and I am sorry you now feel so upset about it, particularly as you seemed very understanding when the reason was explained to you. In fact, you specifically said to me that the night porter had been very good and offered to help you, but that you had declined.

It is also disappointing you chose to add further criticism about our family hotel on such a public website. Nothing else whatsoever was mentioned by you or by your group of ladies at the time, and there were no complaints about food, staff or servicing of rooms, all of which have been highly praised by the many, many other guests who have stayed with us in the past.