“Turkey and Tinsel”

Congress Apartments
Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Eastbourne
“Turkey and Tinsel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Yet another great time at the family run Congress Hotel nothing to much trouble and staff very helpful.
My daughter is disabled and staff all very good and helpful and her room was very nice lots of space will be going back very soon. Merry Christmas to all staff at the Congress and a very Happy New Year.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ang1657

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Maidenhead
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed here from 6-9 December for a very reasonable price per head. The hotel is a bit tired looking and the outside ramp down to the main door did not seem very welcoming but come inside and its a very warm welcome. Although I have been in better hotels (and paid the price accordingly!) I have also definitely been in worse. What I really liked was that the staff were all very nice, especially receptionists, the rooms were lovely and warm and the beds were comfortable. Everywhere was very clean. The furnishings weren't too bad and having chairs in a room certainly makes it more welcoming than just having a bed. The meals were very good value and a varied choice was served each night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lovecreamteas
Slough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

I recently took 47 people back to stay at The Congress Hotel Eastbourne. we had a wonderful time Carol and her team could not have been more helpful and friendly, the service was first class, food and entertainment excellent, well done everyone look forward to seeing you again in the future xx

Room Tip: all rooms cater for your needs, very clean and roomy, lift to all floors
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank sylviabullion238
Dudley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

Just spent five days at this hotel with our coach group of 49 on Coach Travel 4U. Very convieniently situated a comfortable and friendly hotel with lovely helpful staff. We had a mix of
singles and couples and we all had lovely comfortable rooms very spacious with nice size
bathrooms. The food was nice with lovely breakfasts and good evening meals, entertainment
first class and reasonably priced drinks. Everyone really enjoyed it and we will be returning
next year.

Room Tip: Down stairs rooms good for those who can't climb or don't like lifts
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank DudleyKate
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed as part of a coach party from 21 to 26 October and enjoyed the excellent food (half board) the staff could not do enough for you including making sure my wife who is coeliac (gluten free diet) had the correct meals and did not eat anything containing flour etc.The rooms which were large Victorian type bedrooms were clean and tidy with a shower and bath and included tea making facilities,our luggage was taken up to our rooms on arrival and we were provided with tea or coffee whilst this was being done..a nice touch...The Hotel is about 5 mins walk to the beach front and 10 mins walk into The Town with some shops and cafes plus The Bucaneer PH close by...I agree with other comments that The Hotel is not 5 star but it is very good value and I would have no hesitation in recommending it

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank roger t
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

This hotel is typical of many two star Eastbourne Hotels. Yes - its facilities are dated - reflecting the average age of its patrons and it would probably neither suit the under 30's nor those who prefer a sterile Travelodge nor guests expecting the 5* service offered by the nearby Grand Hotel.

It is however good value for money and the staff are friendly and welcoming. I used this hotel for a business visit but did have a problem early in my stay when I could not raise anyone to let me in after I finished work at 12:30am one night.

After more than 35 minutes of ringing the night bell, the night porter did finally let me in and was defensive - saying I should have read the information in the room regarding late night access (apparently I should have asked for a door code) and "I could not have been waiting half an hour". I did explain that I had telephoned the hotel to check this knowing that I would not be returning until late and was assured that this would not be a problem and someone would be around all-night to let me in. There was no mention of a door code.

There is a old saying "it is not the mistakes but how you correct them" and the next morning, the hotel manageress could not have more reassuring. SHE approached ME after breakfast and apologised unreservedly for the issue and took full responsibility saying that she would speak to the staff concerned.

For this reason alone, I shall use this hotel again. As the MD of a customer focussed business, I
do not believe in backing staff when they have made a mistake although many organisations will do this because it is the easy option.

I did not dine here although the inclusive breakfast was perfectly adequate and served promptly. On returning to the hotel in the evenings I asked whether there was a quiet place where I could catch up on work and was immediately offered the use of the library which was really helpful.

The late evening entertainment in the bar was most enjoyable as was the VERY reasonably priced drinks.

I feel that this hotel tries hard to please and the critical reviews are often from patrons whose expectations are simply not reasonable for a hotel in this class. I look forward to staying here in the future,

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank David F
Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed here for just one night .first impression ,old hotel in need of tlc . Reception very friendly but no help with bags and just "your rooms that way " which in the rabbit warren of this hotel is a bit off putting . We stayed with my parents and they had put us in rooms at each end of the hotel on different floors even though we booked together and we were told no other rooms available . The rooms are large and airy but a bit shabby . The bathroom again was large but with chips in the enamel etc ,plenty of hot water,but hardly any toiletries ( one tiny bar of soap each ) so be sure to take your own We had a small double and a single bedded room and both beds were just Ok .a bit on the lumpy side .Rooms were clean ,infact when we returned from breakfast at 9am the maid was already in the room stripping the beds for next guest even though are luggage was still there !Very good location for seafront and perfect for congress theatre and winter gardens ,bit further to hipper drone

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends