All reviews david urquhart coach trip fine hotel turkey tinsel national holidays a lovely sea view coach party pier theatre
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed here for 3 nights but won't be back. VERY shabby and outdated. Despite good location I think I would prefer to pay more to upgrade. I did have a good view and I did find the bed comfortable (although I do suspect the bed was quite old) and the bedding was good but that is as far as it goes. Lots of mould in shower, pressure poor, tops missing from basin taps and toilet wouldn't flush properly. Tatty sewage pipe not boxed in. There were also old cobwebs in room. Window draughty and catch broken so wouldn't stay open. Curtain a foot too short and no colour coordination. Shabby pink carpet, green curtains and blue lampshade. Whoever had painted the room had painted over light fittings, window frame etc. I tried the breakfast the first morning but never again. Nothing was freshly cooked. It was obviously being kept warm in the kitchen. I don't eat baked beans but there was no alternative such as tomato or mushrooms. The coffee was reheated instant coffee which I just couldn't drink. I went to a local coffee shop instead. I didn't risk trying the evening meal. I guess you could say you get what you pay for but think they really need to have a revamp and then they could charge more.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank gaga100
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed there this weekend, food really good, room although basic, was comfortable, staff very helpful, and location was excellent. Was on a David Urquahart coach trip.
Dining room cosy, bar and lounge area comfortable with large flat screen tv to watch, outside glass sitting area, overlooking the sea, we were more than happy with our stay for what we paid.

Room tip: Sea view with balcony, we were in 211, there are much larger rooms on 1st floor, has a lift, although antiquated, was useful.
Date of stay: September 2019
Reviewed August 26, 2019

It really isn't often I give a place a two star review and as mentioned above the only reason I gave this place two was because the management were very appreciative of comments I made and listened when I complained. They also understood my frustrations, which as an autistic person, can come across a little stronger than intended. I originally booked the room as I am a bit of a Scrooge and will try getting the best deal and save as much as I can. The reviews I saw on here were really good as were the reviews on Hotels.com. When I arrived, I was given my key and pointed down a corridor with no directions given to me, which is strange given there was no check-in procedure or instructions, just "name?" given my key and sent away. Found my room (Room 6), walked in, well... the place stank. Just stale cigarette smoke and stale body odour. I was already late to meet my relatives so went to meet them but before I left I used a whole can of deodorant and room spray to make the room smell better before my return. Went out, got back 9.30pm, and the room smelt worse than ever. Walked round the room a bit and found stuff that frankly should NEVER be in a hotel room. Cigarette butts in the window frame, ash on the windowsill of the room, red splattering up the curtains, caked dust on the TV remote, cracked tiles everywhere in the bathroom... To be honest I was tired so I will admit I burst into tears, took a few photos to take to the front desk and show the manager. This I did and I requested a change of room, and refused to sleep in there (did say, which was probably unfair of me, either they moved my room or they refunded me and I slept on seafront). Manager asked if I was sure to which I said I was, so he agreed to move me to a room on the top floor but did warn me it was pre-booked so there may be a problem with other guests. He got the concierge to take me to the room, this gentleman was polite but insisted on entering the new room with me (Room 321) to show me how to lock the door and kindly informed me that Room 6 "didn't really get cleaned that often" and asked if I was happy with this room (I was). After he left I locked the door and put my suitcase in front of it, just for my own personal safety worries. The room I was put in was clean, bathroom could use a redecoration though but was serviceable. Lights above the bed worked, as did all lights in this room (all the lights bar one very dim lightbulb in Room Six did not worked and the one above the bed actually started sparking when I tried to turn it on, something else I stated to management when complaining). TV would blink on and off intermittently in the night so ended up unplugging it. Cleaner came in while I was out and tidied everything but the wet towels hanging on the bathroom door. On my second morning (departure day) I went to give my key in and no questions were asked, just a blunt monotonous "Bye". I did have a good sleep, but the first room and experience with it had tarnished all else for me.

Room tip: Choose another hotel.
Date of stay: July 2019
Reviewed August 15, 2019 via mobile

Fabulous location right on the sea front, with very friendly and nice staff. Rooms basic but perfectly adequate and breakfasts are great! Fabulous old lift, and easy to walk to town centre. Couple of great pubs close by, crown and anchor and the Victoria both of which are lovely. Air show on a present and spectacular views from my balcony in the hotel, and would certainly stay here again should we ever be in the area again.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank AlcalaGirl2013
Reviewed August 15, 2019

If you like faulty tower then this is for you, my room was a single room the curtain was hanging of the rail the shower was dirty bolts camping out of the bed o & light over bed didn't work so don't stay in room 6.

Date of stay: August 2019