“Good for mobility issues and lovely hotel”
Review of The View Hotel

The View Hotel
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed July 17, 2014

The accessible room was fantastic and the staff were all very helpful and friendly. The bathroom was one of the best I've seen for wheelchair access with a huge shower and lever operated taps etc. Our room (second floor) had a wonderful sea view and we were very comfortable during our visit.

The hotel food is very nice, although fairly basic and well cooked with a fish or vegetarian choice always available for dinner. The lunchtime bar food was also nicely presented and tasty.

All in all, I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Harriswife
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Dear Harriswife,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.

I am very happy that you found our accessible rooms fantastic, we really our proud if these rooms as they are a great facility, secondly thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff I will be sure to pass it on at our next customer focus meeting.
It is such a pleasure receiving positive feedback as it makes all the hard work worthwhile.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Matthew

Write a ReviewReviews (3,533)

Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights with an Amazon local deal and we were thoroughly impressed. The exterior of the hotel may look like an old office block but inside is a pure delight. Our room was spacious, clean and with tasteful modern decor. We paid extra for a room with a balcony and a sea view and it was wonderful to lay in bed with an early morning drink and watch the sea lap onto the shore.
Breakfast was delicious, plentiful with a fabulous choice. The scrambled eggs were some of the best I have ever tasted.
All of the staff we encountered were friendly and welcoming. We hope to stay here again in the future as in just two nights we felt as though we had been away for a week. Thank you , keep up the good work!!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Toni110873

Dear Toni 110879,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.

I acknowledge your comments regarding the exterior of the building and am very happy to confirm that we do have some plans in place to refresh the outside of the building in the near future, so keep your eyes out.
I also would like to thank you for your comments regarding our breakfast offering, we really do strive to make breakfast the best it can possibly be as it is a great way to start the day.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

This was our first ever trip to Eastbourne & we were pleasantly surprised!
We stayed for three nights over a weekend. The hotel was beautifully modern, clean & spacious. The staff were very helpful, cheerful & catered to all our requests. There was a bit of refurbishment going on whilst we were there which had to be walked through on route to the breakfast/dining room but this didn't disturb us at all.
Our room (408) was on the 4th floor which wasn't a problem as there were lifts. The room itself was large with a super king size bed! Large desk/dressing table area, tea/coffee making facilities, TV, Air conditioning, hairdryer (however one of those that you had to hold in the button constantly for it to work) plentiful storage space & best of all...Wonderful sea views & a balcony! A little table would have been nice on the balcony & the sliding doors/windows could do with being cleaned a little more often perhaps! The en suite was very clean & modern with toiletries supplied.
Breakfast was held in the dining room & could not be faulted! With a wide choice of foods served (mostly buffet style) to suit every taste. However dinner was a different matter! Not much choice on the menu, not the best of food, a strange atmosphere (that of a canteen) & miserable looking staff! We then decided to try the bar for dinner after that. Again not much to choose on the menu, the food & staff were a little better but the large screen TV was almost unbearable with the sound coming & going & channels changing at random & with only one person watching! Also the air conditioning could have done with being turned down a little especially for the tables around the edge of the room underneath the vents! After a hot day... Brrrr..
It is £1 a day for a parking permit (purchased from the hotel) valid for the local area & beach front (zone H) The road outside the hotel is quite busy with parking all along it. You can pay at the machines if you have no permits but obviously it is more expensive.
Eastbourne itself was lovely. Everywhere was clean & bright. The garden areas were beautiful with plenty of seats. Lots going on. The only downfall was the pier! It badly needs updating!! Such a shame. They could do so much with it!
Overall we had a wonderful weekend & would recommend it to anyone of any age.

Room Tip: Choose a front sea view room with a balcony. Lovely to hear the sea in the quietness of the morning.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Lovey50_11
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.
I am grateful for your constructive feedback, it is always a pleasure to receive this at it really helps identify and develop our services.
I was very pleased that you found our staff and bedrooms to your satisfaction and will be sure to pass your comments on.
I was however saddened to read that you were not totally satisfied with you dinning experience in our restaurant, we are in the process of planning an full refurbishment of our restaurant and also developing our food offering to a more modern concept which I am confident will be far more to your satisfaction.
I apologise that you found the staff to be miserable in the evening as this is unusual as we normally get such great feedback regarding their service.
This all said I thank you very much for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel many times in the past but this was the first time under the new ownership. The refurbishment of the bedrooms has been done to a high standard and it was very clean. Paying £189.00 per night we did have a few issues. In a double room, I would expect 2 armchairs and in the bathroom I would expect shampoo and conditioner not just a combined hair and body wash. There should be a small table on the balcony for drinks, papers, books and there is no fridge. Drinks in the bar are very expensive although there is a discount if you are a union member. This is not advertised and we only found out on the second day. A price list for drinks should be prominent, as I heard other guests making complaints regarding the cost after ordering their drinks. The dinners, although delicious, were a disppointment with very limited choice and small portions, but the breakfasts were good and plentiful. The staff were very professional, helpful and friendly. If staying in Eastbourne again we would look around for a better deal. There is not any entertainment now in the bar in the evening only a huge TV screen that is on constantly without any sound. The only time the sound was on was during the World Cup games.

Room Tip: Good views from rooms at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear briarleas
Thank you for your feedback as your opinion is very important to us
Firstly I would like to confirm that the ownership of the Hotel has not changed however we have and continue to review the business and make changes where necessary.
With regards to the beverage prices we have recently carried out a comparison of all the hotels in Eastbourne and can confirm that we are a competitively priced within our style of property, I can only apologise that you felt we were overpriced and that you were not aware of the concessions we have in place. I can also confirm that there is a price list on display at the end of the bar however I will look at relocating it to a more prominent position and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the professional, helpful and friendly staff. With regards to offers please keep your eye out on our website for the latest deals or alternatively if you would like to be added to our mailing list for our latest offers and promotion please feel free to contact the Hotel.
Once again I would like to thank you for taking the time out to tell us about your experience as it really does help us manage the Hotel more effectively.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Following my last stay in Eastbourne in June 2013, we returned for the annual tennis once again.As the Cavendish Hotel was fully booked, we used the Eastbourne Centre instead. Situated on the Promenade, it was clean & comfortable. We had a larger double room than at the Cavendish, which suited my wife & I more.Staff were pleasant, breakfast was good & it was CHEAPER than the Cavendish. Think we will stay here next year. WARNING : This hotel does not have a car park. They issue vouchers at £1.00 a time for one days' off-street parking. However, if you have to park on the Promenade itself (quite safe) the vouchers only cover specific hours. Therefore, if staying for several days, the cost of car parking will mount up !

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a sea-view. Ask for a side room as you can still see the sea.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear BigBrian,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.
I was very happy to read that you found our hotel to your satisfaction and that it was clean and comfortable for you. It was also highly encouraging to read that felt the hotel offered great value!
I would also like to thank you for your kind words regarding the staff I know they will be thrilled to here this. I was also pleased to see that you enjoyed our fantastic breakfast offering.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We spent a night in this hotel as part of my wife's 50th birthday present from the kids we had a double room with balcony costing £180 a night half board.
The room was great nice and clean good size with a nice balcony facing the sea.
Nice big bed loads of room in there.
Parking was easy just outside you can get a ticket from the desk at £1.00 a day.
Now the bad ... Dinner in the restaurant was not good it was a Saturday night and sure not a lot to choose from ..main course was Cod or Chicken or braised beef or Tempura veg.
That's it 4 things to choose from in a £180 a night hotel ?
I place an order for drinks then we both went for the fish as there was little else to choose from.
The lady serving us must of been new she had trouble understanding our order and her English seem to be limited to sorry. so we had soup then we had fish just about finish eating that then she said she was sorry she would get the drinks soon told her it was to late now forget it.
Fish was full of bones o yes and it come with ok ready for this 9 chips and some green pea puree not the most filling of meals for sure.
Home now and after reading everyone else review I can see the food is the biggest complaint in this Hotel what a pity it spoils a great place to stay if the management read this and see the common theme about the food and the very limited menu they should take action as its letting the Hotel down sorry to say would not stay again unless we was to eat out.

Room Tip: ask for room with a balcony
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Dear 327mick
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.
I was however sorry to read that your dining experience did not meet your expectations. As I have responded previously the Hotel currently offers a Table D’Hote menu which changes on a daily basis and we do aim to cater for all tastes.

This said we will soon be introducing a further menu for individual customers which we do hope will satisfy those looking for more choice before our big plans come into place in the New Year.
It was great to read that you appreciated the great parking arrangements here and otherwise had a comfortable stay.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed here for 2nights on an Amazon local deal. The booking was done and confirmed promptly and our paid voucher accepted and processed immediately.
We were told where best to park and offered a £1 voucher which as we had checked in on Sunday means we parked in the side street along side the hotel for the 2 days from Sunday 4pm and the Monday voucher covered us until our departure at 11am Tuesday.
Our room was spacious clean quiet and comfortable. We had a superior room included in the Amazon deal. We were situated on the 4th floor at the side of the hotel which gave us views of the sea and the pier.
We only had breakfast at the hotel and it was of good quality and excellent and varied choice.
There were some renovations going on and we had been emailed to warn us about this. We did not experience any inconvenience from this or noise.
I mention in the title don't be put off by the exterior there is a lot of grey slate cladding and the overall appearance is a bit forbidding. Inside it is fine the staff were helpful at all times.
I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Although we were on the side I think most rooms would have a sea view. Rooms on the front obviously...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear ceredigionbear
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us.
The great news is that whilst we can’t change the 1970’s look of the building (which some want celebrated!) we do plan to smarten up the outside over the summer months. This hopefully will add to the character of the Hotel and move toward the same high level of quality enjoyed inside.
I was pleased that you were both aware of the improvements we are making internally and that you didn’t notice any intrusions from this. This phase to create a stunning new event space will be complete soon and available for all book or just be nosey!
We have been making subtle changes to the breakfast offering over the past months and I was delighted to note that you rated the food of good quality and that there was a great variety.
Thanks for saying you’d stay again and I hope it won’t be too long before you’re back.
Kind regards