“Almost perfect”
Review of The View Hotel

The View Hotel
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have stayed here on many occasions. Here recently for the air show. The large proportion of the hotel was spotlessly clean as usual. What let it down badly this time was the groundfloor toilets. Quite frankly they were disgusting. They had overflowed and were a complete mess. We could have used the ones in our room but we had several guests including 4 children. This is a real shame as it can form a false impression of the hotel for visitors. And given it is outside a food area quite worrying. The only other downside on the Sunday was the quality of the food. I purchased meals for 12 people and the standard of the food delivered was very poor. Two of my visitors had to wait 15 minutes after everyone else to be served, we had not ordered anything exotic that should have taken that long. I expected better having paid over £100 for food. I must say though that we will be back and have already booked our next visit

• Stayed: August 2013
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Steve S

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

Whilst it is a shame we didn’t quite reach perfection levels I was assured to read that you found most of the hotel to be ‘spotlessly clean’ and I offer you my sincere apologies if the public rest rooms were not kept at our usual quality level.

I was also disappointed to read that you experienced some frustrations with the speed of service in the bar and that your order arrived incomplete.

It is however great that you are planning to come back and I would ask that you contact me directly at the Hotel so I may make personally arrangements for you during your next stay.

Thank you once again.

Kind regards

Matthew

There are newer reviews for The View Hotel

Reviewed August 25, 2013

After many delightful years of staying in the Eastbourne Centre, this year was a huge disappointment, we were expecting the usual friendly staff,lovely rooms and fabulous food, Some staff treat paying guest as 2nd class guests whilst people on conferences are pandered to. one evening a delegate came to dinner in shorts (dress code is stipulated in rooms and out side the dinning room) previous years they would have been sent away to change, no so this year, Delgates seem to be able to smoke where they like, ignoring discomfort to other guests when brought to the attention of staff complaint is ignored, Food has fallen well below its usual standard, over the years we have enjoyed the option of the "Cold Table" should we on the rare occasion not like anything on the main menu, this year we are even finding problems with the starter menu ( mostly "heavy" starters, Melon only available once in a week) The Cold Table has become what can only be described as a joke. very little variety of "meats" and poor selection of salad, one night there wasn't even any lettuce. the main course's lack imagination same ingredients but served in a different way. i.e chicken breast with cheese served two out three nights but given different added ingredient and renamed. steak was inedible on one of the 2 nights on the menu. Fish only appeared once in a week, previously a fish option was on the menu every night. Fruit juice at breakfast quiet often diluted. After this years experience it is very unlikely we shall return to the Eastbourne Centre or to Eastbourne itself as the hotel and its food/Staff where a big part of our holiday

Dear Carole S

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay in August 2013.

I was sorry to read that your visit wasn’t as enjoyable as your previous experiences.

As other readers will note from more recent reviews, we continue to strive and deliver our usual high level of quality and service and I can only apologise if you experienced disappointments during your stay. It is also regretful that we were not able to identify this whilst you were still with us and do more for you.

Our strict smoking policy is usually monitored for the comfort and convenience of all guests and I am further sorry if we were not able to control this to your satisfaction.

We receive many positive comments regarding the food provided and once again I remain sorry if the quality did not meet your expectations.

I do acknowledge that you have stayed many times previously, and if you are thinking of returning I would ask that you contact me personally at the Hotel so that I may make personal arrangements for your next stay.

Kind regards

Matthew

Reviewed August 23, 2013

From the outside this hotel looks to be the worst on the Eastbourne seafront, but once inside, everything changes.
The reception and bar areas have clearly been re-vamped, recently, but the original 70's theme has been kept. The bar, in particular, is very 70's style, but is new, comfortable and inviting.
My room also had a 70's feel but, again, was clearly quite new. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, with a large comfortable bed. The bathroom was a little small, but well appointed and very clean.
Breakfast was excellent and my only criticism would be, that for business travellers breakfast needs to be served a little earlier, as it currently starts at 7:30.
I would definitely return to this hotel.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael C
robin_hodson, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Michael C,

Thank you for your review, and your kind comments. I tend to agree that the building does not look inviting from the outside, but inside we have nearly completed a £10m refit of all bedrooms and public areas, only the restaurant left to complete. I do take your comment regarding breakfast in the restaurant starting at 7.30 being too late for business travellers, but we do provide continental and room service breakfast from very early morning for those needing to be away early. I do nope you will stay with us again whn you next visit the UK.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We booked a 3 night stay for the Airbourne airshow staying in a room with balcony at the side of hotel overlooking a view of the pier and beach.
The bedroom/bathroom are very well appointed with good furnishings and spotlessly clean. Breakfast buffet was good and the waiting staff deserve a special mention as they were friendly efficient and very pleasant. We didn't eat any evening meals in the hotel as we couldn't get a table for an early dinner before going to the theatre, but we did eat a light lunch one day in the bar which was very reasonably priced. Speaking of the bar-very friendly staff again but the loud disco music on the Saturday night with customers shouting conversation over the top of it drove us to take our drinks to our room ! The singer on the Fri night was lovely but with people still talking over the top of her singing my ears became confused so again we went elsewhere. Shame for her when she takes such trouble to perform well that the audience aren't listening properly....
The best thing for me as an avid photographer was access to the roof terrace to photograph many parts of the airshow, including the last night fireworks, that made a wonderful end to our holiday.
We have stayed in a whole variety of Eastbourne accommodation from the Travelodge to the Grand Hotel and for position/location and balcony seaviews I don't think the Eastbourne Centre can be beaten...so much so that we booked a return stay in a balcony room for next years Airbourne before we even checked out this time !
Many thanks to everyone who made our trip so good.

Dear Jessica-R-53,

Many thanks for your kind review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us,and especially that you were satisfied enough to join us for Airbourne next year. I pass on your comments to restaurant staff, it always good to be appreciated. with regard to the entertainment, we do endeavour to provide a mixture of acts and disco, and for those not wishing to partake, we do have extensive lounges on the ground, mezzanine and first floors, but do appreciate it can sometimes seem a little intrusive. Again thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back next year, if not before.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Me and my girlfriend have come to Eastbourne to watch the annual air show. We are both visually impaired and the staff have been first class, with offering any assistance we both might need. The rooms are immaculate and the customer service is wonderful. I fully recommend the Eastbourne Centre

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank James D

Dear JamesD, Thank you for your review of your stay at the Eastbourne Centre. I am pleased you found your saty comfortabel, and especially that the staff met with your satisfaction. We pride ourselves in customer care and it is nice to have the recognition, thank you. I hope we will be able to welcome you back soon, if not for Airbourne next year.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel for just one night while in Eastbourne to see a show and picked this Hotel because many of the rooms have a balcony that overlooks the sea.
The room we booked was a standard double and was excellent with a first class bathroom could not fault it the only thin missing to have made it perfect would have been a fridge in the room.
The breakfast was first class and all staff we found very good and most helpful and we would have no hesitation in recommending the Eastbourne Centre as one of the best places to stay and right on the front in the best possible position.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are excellent if you want to push the boat out pay for an ungrade but the standard we...

Dear John N,
Many thanks for your kind review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, especially so because you are local to the Centre, and know of its ideal position near to the theatres. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I did stay actually stay here in 2012, but been meaning to do this review for ages. I love this hotel! The location is great for the beach & restaurants. Such friendly staff, great modern, clean rooms and the best balconies in Eastbourne!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a balcony room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jools3

Dear Jools3,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Eastbourne Centre, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Please do visit us again soon.