“Good room Great views”
Review of The View Hotel

The View Hotel
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed in the hotel for one night over the week end.
The staff on reception were very welcoming and helpful.
The room I stayed in had a sea view with balcony and was very comfortable although there was a funny smell coming from the bath room and that's before we got there!
The buffet breakfast had cerial, fresh fruit and all the fried options and was enough to fill us up till evening.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
robin_hodson, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for your review on your recent stay at the Centre. Im pleased you enjoyed your stay. We traced the smell to a shower waste trap which had dried out due to the room not being in used for a few days. Once the shower was run, the problem was solved, thank you for highlighting the problem, we now have procedures to prevent other guests witnessing the problem.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,623)

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I've visited this hotel a number of times over the past five years and I'm always impressed by the quality of care, food and furnishings. The rooms are beautifully designed and the beds are some of the most comfortable I've slept in! I always ask for a balcony room as there's nothing I enjoy more than the fresh sea air! Robin Hodson and his staff are always so helpful and, it seems, nothing is too much trouble for them. They are both friendly and efficient and manage to strike the right balance between being approachable yet maintaining a respectful distance when you are relaxing I one of the hotel bars or enjoying a meal in their beautifully refurbished restaurant. All in all The Eastbourne Centre always leaves me wishing I could stay that little bit longer.

Room Tip: Pick a balcony room if they have one available. I have some wonderful photos of the sunrise!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marlene W

Thank you for your very generous review, I will, of course pass your comments on to staff members - it is on such comments that we can judge our performance. As a regular guest at the Centre, I sincerely look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here on a conference & was pleasantly suprised by what was on offer.

The rooms are lovely and updated with an excellent location. I had a sea view room with a balcony. Air con always seems to too cold even when having the heating turned right up.

The major plus here is the food, great choice and variety, authentic tasting and great portion sizes. Their desserts are to die for.

Had a few drinks at the bar which is priced as you would expect for a hotel, and wifi in your room is free which is always an added bonus.

Think it is quite expensive to stay but I would say it is worth it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Peatreeworld8587

Thank you for your review, and for your kind comments. With reference to the room heating and cooling system, I am sorry you were not able to find your 'comfort temperature' - On your next visit, please dont hesitate to contact reception as our new system can be controlled from reception via computer and we are pleased to assit.

Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

I returned yesterday from a 4 night course at the Eastbourne Centre, and if I'm honest I was very happy to be going home. In most respects the hotel is really good, great location on the seafront (even though the building itself looks very ugly compared to the beautiful architecture of most of the other buildings on the strip). The rooms are nice with most having balconies with beautiful views of the sea (although more modern features in the rooms lIke pay for view movies and wifi that actually works would be good). The decor is a mixed bag, with a modern bar that seems a little out of place in a resort that caters mostly to the older generation, and a restaurant that proudly advertises the huge painting by a named artist, but in my opinion all the painting does is drag the restaurant back in to the 70's, which isn't helped by the canteen style tables which are way too small for the 6 seats around them, personally I'd paint over the artwork and replace the tables to lift the restaurant in to this century. Sticking with the restaurant, this is where for me the hotel really let itself down. I'm a strict vegan, something I informed the restaurant of as soon as I arrived (as they claimed not to have received the previous notification sent prior to my arrival). On day 1 absolutely no effort was made to cater for me, my only option at lunch was the very limited (for a vegan) salad bar, for tea I was given (and this was my only option while my meat eating colleagues had a whole menu to choose from) a very poor pasta and tomato sauce. On day 2 at lunch I was offered the pasta again, and when I politely declined I was given (without being asked whether I wanted it) a last minute over microwaved potato in a bowl completely on its own, so I had no option but to call upon the salad bar again. The service I received became a running joke with my colleagues and some of the staff, as did the fact that there was a different soup before every meal, and even though they were all vegetable of some sort, I couldn't eat most as they weren't vegan. From here on it did get a little better, but only after I made quite a bit of fuss, and for most meals I wasn't given a choice, other than eat the one meal they had planned or go hungry. The sad thing is that other than 1 meal which was quite obviously some bought in frozen vegetable fingers (which they gave a very posh name to to hide their true origin) the food they made me was very nice, the issue is that until I complained they made no effort what so ever, another example of this was for one meal they brought me a bowl of curry, when I asked the waitress whether there was any rice to go with it she looked at me like I was mad. The final insult which summed up their attitude was when our packed lunches arrived for our journey home, while mine was quite clearly labelled vegan, it contained a cake with both egg and milk in the ingredients and the sandwiches were made with butter! Would I stay here again, yes if the price was right, would I eat here again, no chance. On the last night even though our meals at the hotel had already been paid for, myself and my colleagues decided to go out for food, and had I been a normal paying guest, I would have walked out of the hotel restaurant on that first day never to return.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank gdidy

Thank you for your review. It appears that a catalogue of errors were made with your dietry requirements, for which I apologise. We deal daily with all manner of speciail dietry requirements and, in truth are able to fulfil most requirements successfully. I am glad, once sorted, you enjoyed the food provided. Again , please accept my apologies for the shortfall during your stay.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Lovely hotel with all you would expect from a modern hotel. Rooms up to date and clean. Great location and room with balcony and sea view have fantastic views.

Down side airconditioning set too high could not reduce temperature below 18 degrees which made room extremely stuffy over night.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JaneAspleyGuise

Thank you for your kind review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with the Eastbourne Centre. With specific reference to your view on the air conditioning, the 'norm' setting is about 21/22 degrees, and to lower beyond 18 is generally too cool. This can be overridden remotely by reception, should the guest require. Another point that may have influenced the situation, if the window or balcony door in the room is opened, it will switch off the air conditioning as we are very aware of energy conservation and aim towards being as 'green' as we can.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

It's bit stark by modern standards but the upgraded rooms are fine. Reception staff good the only weakness was breakfast a long wait to get coffee, dirty tablecloth and finding a clean plate on the hot buffet took time. After reading other reviews did not take an evening meal in hotel which seems to be the right choice. The best bit is the good value for money rooms with great sea views.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I travel a great deal and I was looking for a solid business class hotel in Eastbourne. Eastbourne Centre proved to be the right choice. The rooms seem recently renovated with luxury Japanese bath products. I had a room facing the water and the views are stunning. The staff are terrific, though the only drawback to the hotel is the restaurant. It's a pricey set menu dinner that has all the flavour of bad wedding hall catering. Go somewhere else for dinner, but other than that the Eastbourne Centre is a true find.

Room Tip: Reserve a room facing the water.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business