“A high quality service throughout, excellent value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Langham Hotel

Langham Hotel
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Eastbourne
Bolton
“A high quality service throughout, excellent value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014

The missus and myself have just returned from the Langham having just spent 5 days there on a half board basis, coach holiday. (11th-15th August 2014).
Although we had a room at the back of the hotel, missing out on a sea view, this wasn't an issue as we spent very little time there. The room itself was spotless and tastefully decorated, and the towels and bedding, (which were changed regularly), were of high quality.
A lot of time and money has clearly been spent on the hotel and the building has been decorated very tastefully throughout.
The food was consistently good with a choice to cover all tastes, and they appeared to cater very well for a lady in our party who had specific dietary needs.
The service was superb, friendly, efficient and professional, throughout the hotel and both myself and the fun prevention officer couldn't fault a thing throughout our stay.

One point which is especially noteworthy, is that one of our coach party had lost his ring at some point during our visit and only realised whilst our coach was driving home. Fortunately one of the staff had found it and handed it in. I consider actions such as this deserve to illustrate the hotel and the staff in a very positive light.

The entertainment at night consisted of a organist/singer, which appealed to the older members of our party but which a younger audience could consider a bit pedestrian. There was also a quiz and bingo in the downstairs bar.

Most of the clientele in the hotel were in the older age bracket, so if you're a young couple thinking of staying there you may want to take this into consideration.

The hotel is at the opposite end of the promenade from where the theatres and better shops are, however you can easily reach them by use of the regular buses or just take a leisurely 20 - 30 minute stroll.

Nearby places worth visiting are Arundel, Tunbridge Wells and Alfriston, ( a beautiful little hamlet). We also visited Bognor Regis and all I can say is that I fully endorse the person's opinon of the place when asked about it and he replied,"B****r Bognor!"

There are some beautiful walks and cycle rides to be had on the South Downs.
Brighton and Hastings are also in easy driving distance but as we didn't get the chance to visit either town I can't offer an opinion.

Whilst there we also watched the "Airbourne" show. Absolutely fantastic! If you're thinking of going to Eastbourne next year make sure you go when this show is on.

In conclusion, many thanks to all those concerned with the Langham hotel for an excellent holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front if you fancy a sea view.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Simon B, Manager at Langham Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear Marktaylor99,

Thank you ever so much for your delightful review. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed this part of Sussex. I hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Kindest regards

Simon Brown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Barnet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stayed here a couple of years ago for a two night break in one of the old orange standard rooms. We mentioned this to Neil and took time to explain his plans and show us around the hotel and some rooms which had been refurbished to a wonderful standard. My partner is the Master of his Lodge this year and we have booked the Langham for our Ladies Weekend in March and have been for our overnight stay to discuss details, I know the weekend will exceed our expectations because of Neil and Wendy's knowledge and commitment and I can only echo the fab reviews being written before this!

I am so looking forward to going back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank McPart2014
Dear McPart2014,

Thank you so much for this excellent recognition you have submitted. Neil and Wendy have worked tirelessly over the years in the development of the Langham and it is so nice for you to acknowledge this via your previous visits. Indeed you will be well looked after in March and anytime for that matter that you choose to stay with us all. We very much look forward to see you again soon.

With Kind regards,
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed in room 207 and had the best panoramic sea views, I photograph interiors for a living and this room was an absolute pleasure to stay in, modern design, good bed and great colours. Champagne on the terrace is a must for a summers evening and the trout at dinner was exceptional. Great location, friendly staff, we had a great time and will undoubtably be going back.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view the bay windows are spectacular.
Dear jason k,

What a great 5 star review. Thank you so much for the kind words; I am delighted you enjoyed the modern yet traditional charm of room 207 and appreciated those views! Champagne on the terrace in the sunshine sounds like the perfect tonic. We very much look forward to your next visit.

With kind regards
Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

As I live in Eastbourne and am very proud to admit it, I take an interest in this family owned hotel and therefore felt we should write this review to put the record straight after reading a couple of nonfactual reviews we feel. One we feel doesn't give the true facts of a fine worthwhile body of people so much so that we felt we had to reply to them personally as they made us so mad after reading that review! The the other one my old uncle who used to run a travel agents before retiring once told me if the weather is poor it rains or is too hot then I and that travel company I booked the customer with can be sure of complaints? So that is enough said about that one as it was very hot both day and night when they stayed and no one can control the weather?
We have eaten at the Langham many times and never had a bad meal or cause for complaint Michael and his team we feel produce some of the best food we have ever had. Last January the 6th my wife organised my 65th birthday lunch for family and friends on a Sunday and my other surprise was we were booked into the Langham Hotel from Saturday to Sunday so we could enjoy my birthday lunch but also have a nice meal Saturday night and breakfast Sunday. I have no idea what was paid for this weekend stay, but I can most defiantly say we had a great stay. We were in the conservatory Saturday night as there was a function going on in the restaurant but we didn't feel unhappy that we were in the conservatory we had another great meal and the view from there is lovely, far better than being in the restaurant we feel. Our room was lovely and also clean which is a bonus in some places we have stayed. After our meal there was entertainment provided in the bar so we were more than happy. This continued Sunday with a great breakfast which I understand is in the room price. During our birthday lunch there were other parties in the restaurant as our numbers were not large enough to take over the whole restaurant but when other dinners heard the merriment and the singing of happy birthday they applauded me not complained about the noise that I along with my family and guests were making having a good time celebrating my 65th birthday? Lastly I have to defend the bloody masons as they were called, you see my brother in law is a mason since he retired and I therefore know that he along with his lodge have helped so many people by the continued fund raising that goes on weekly benefiting so many different charities, so if they want to sing and laugh and also have funny ceremonies and traditions they follow including eating at midnight if they continue to raise all this money at every opportunity as I know first hand they do, I for one say good on them and long may it continue. No one more than them deserve a weekend away together, but even then this fund raising goes on the whole weekend!
I hope that has made things a little clearer for the many people thinking of coming to stay here as Trip adviser is a very good thing but it has to be used fairly we feel containing all the facts.
John & Sue Eastbourne

Room Tip: Ask what is available when booking?
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JohnRWebb
Dear Music2party,

Thank you ever so much for sharing your experiences and putting the record straight! We really do appreciate your kind support and I am delighted to read of the enjoyment you have had with us over the years. Long may this continue!

Warmest regards
Heathfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

We have enjoyed a lovely meal at The Langham hotel today, with over 100 customers and guest speaker Bob Jewson who related some of the events and stories of the 100th anniversary of the start of World War 1 on 5th August. The value was amazing, with a glass of Kraemer Brut Cuvee Close on arrival, a 3 course meal with a choice of white and red wines, followed by coffee and the talk by the guest speaker for £19! Where else can you get such good value. An excellent meal, wonderful friendly and courteous staff. Neil Kirby the owner certainly runs a good hotel and ensures all of his customers are felt special. I urge everyone to go to The Langham, collect a Lunch Club programme for 2014/15 and enjoy the experience of a quality hotel.

Room Tip: Lovely sunny rooms facing the sea
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Derek677
Dear Derek677,

I am delighted to read your lovely review of our WW1 Luncheon. Thank you so much for the kind words about the food, staff and excellent value! I completely concur that everyone should please collect a Lunch Club programme or visit our website! Thank you again Derek677 we look forward to see you again soon.

Warmest regards
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have just come back from two nights at this hotel, and had the most amazing time. The hotel is absolutely spotless, beautifully decorated and my room had the most incredible views of the sea. The staff were all, without exception, very happy helpful and friendly, and really couldn't do enough. I also highly recommend the restaurant, as the food was fantastic both nights, really good quality. The bar area is lovely, with indoor and outdoor seating on the terrace. There is also an area with books and games and really comfy chairs, which was nice. It was just a gorgeous hotel, that was lovely to spend time in. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, would recommend it to everyone, and definitely intend to go back!

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a seaview, it really made the visit special!
2 Thank Lola R
Dear Lola R,

Thank you ever so much for this award winning review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to enjoy the glorious weather on our terrace - what a treat! I very much look forward to the next time you walk into our comfy Lobby. Please return soon.

With kind regards,

Sherborne, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

We have just returned home from this hotel. I have to say we were disappointed with our room. It was so hot and airless. This was because under the floor boards there were hot water pipes The room was on the third floor at the back of the hotel. The carpet was so thin that the edges of the boards could be felt through it. The head board was not secured fully to the wall. The hotel provided us with a fan but even with this and the one small window left open night and day it was unbearable! On the plus side all the staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was of a good standard and the room was clean. The part of the hotel we were in desperately needs upgrading!

1 Thank Liz A
Simon B, Manager at Langham Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Liz A,

It is always nice to hear from an average visitor, thank you very much for your review.
It is a great shame that the temperature and atmosphere in this standard room you accommodated marred those good points of your recent stay with us. It has been so hot recently and of all the rooms the back facing guestrooms are actually coolest; although I can appreciate the hot water pipe didn't help. The standard rooms, which are priced accordingly, are all going through a program of refurbishment which will eventually see among many things, new carpets, furnishings and design. I am sure that should you choose to one day return again you will see a very positive change. I hope to welcome you back.

With kind regards