“masonic weekend”
Review of Langham Hotel

Langham Hotel
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed September 19, 2011

my wife and i along with 9 personal friends attended my masonic lodge ladies festival weekend , we all agreed that the quality of the food, the cleanliness and most of all the staff were second to none. I must give a special mention to the manager, nothing was too much trouble for him he was attentive and available at all times and made everybody welcome, also theyoung lady who i assume was the under manager on reception, and the first point of contact was couldn't have been improved upon. I, only reluctantly, must make one criticism that being the lack of any form of air conditioning in the main dining/function room which did slightly affect the enjoyment, of an overal excellent weekend.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,052)

Reviewed September 14, 2011

The staff were the BEST thing about this Hotel,but almost everything else was a very close second My wife and I stayed overnight after a wedding and the facilities were excellent.I was told when booking that most of the rooms had a sea view,but by the time I found our room was tucked to the rear of the building the Hotel was full (because of the wedding) so we did not have the view we had hoped.However I cannot fault the room it was very clean and there were even toiletries in the very nice, if a bit compact shower.The food was excellent,the full English was very nice and as much toast as you could wish,and the all important FRESH pot of TEA.
The only reason I have not given this Hotel 5 stars is because of the mix-up over the room,(possibly a bit harsh) I would definately return to this Hotel

Room Tip: Make sure you are getting the room you are expecting
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2011

For 35 pounds, I couldn't expect more.
A basic single room with sea view. A great breakfast while looking at the beach and very nice service.
Not sure the a more expensive rate (sometimes they charge 60 or more for this room) would be worth.

Room Tip: try to find
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Me and my husband went for a week end and stayed in a room with sea view. It was very confortable and the view amazing.
The hotel has also a nice bar and guests can enjoy a drink also late at night. Staff is really well trained and kind.
We will be back there soon.
Michela and Jan

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We booked for one night in June whilst visiting relatives.

The room was very clean - had everything you need, including toiletries.

The staff were friendly and it was wonderful to see them looking after a dear old lady who lives in Eastbourne, but has no sea view, so she comes every year to spend time overlooking the sea .. had a great chat with her.

Breakfast was lovely .. and sat in the conservatory overlooking the sea and towards the pier .. I relaxed totally.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Saffy1999
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We stayed here last year and it only gets better. The rooms are nice and clean along with the beds- A pet hate of mine we strip the beds before emptying the cases.
The breakfast couldn't be better and the staff were excellent.
If it wasn't for the long distance from Wales would use more often.

Room Tip: Mostly older people and laid back.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Stayed for one week commencing 10th August and was impressed with friendly welcome accompanied by prompt and efficient service from Reception meaning that within minutes I was in my room. Unfortunately my room was at the back of the hotel but on the plus side I was given a double room for sole use. Decor and furnishings showed "quality" but seemed generally "tired" and in need of refurbishment. The room and en-suite was all spotlessly clean with the en-suite offering bath and shower. Loads of cupboard space with plenty of hangers in wardrobe. Unusually, bedding consisted of sheets and blankets instead of modern duvets but importantly the bed was very comfortable and I slept well. The room was thoroughly serviced each day and hospitality tray restocked (with biscuits as well!) My only moan about the room was that the sash window would not stay up and the maid wedged the TV remote in it to keep it open. I actually bought a cheap rubishy video from a charity shop and used that for the week - after all I wanted the remote for it's proper purpose. When I had a look round the back of the hotel I noticed a few other windows had wedges holding them open too. The front of the hotel has a beautiful gleaming white facade and looks so attractive but like others the back is never the same!

Service at breakfast was abolutely first class with plenty of waiters on duty meaning there was no waiting for orders to be taken or for food to arrive. The breakfast menu carried a good selection of fruit juices, cereals, and then the "full English" breakfast which I had each day. Food was attractively served and looked most appetising which was backed up by great taste - well done Chef! I thought the "full English" could have been a bit fuller in that there was a tiny egg (never seen such a small one), piece of bacon, half a tomato, four or five little bits of mushroom,a sausage, a quarter slice of fried bread and finally a few baked beans (few enough to be counted, 69 one morning - how sad is that) Such a shame that it was such a small fry-up when it was so delicious! Endless toast was offered and refills of tea/coffee. I can only think that they aimed their portion size toward the bulk of their other guests - mainly elderly coach groups -who would perhaps find this quite adequate.

The Langham also advertises their Conservatory Restaurant as being the place to dine - and it truly does look so nice all laid up with spotless white table-cloths and all the glassware - but the menu seemed a bit way out and quite expensive. I didn't eat there so can't comment personally but others seemed well suited with their dining experience.

I was in Eastbourne for the duration of the Airborne Show and though Eastbourne was heaving with people, the Langham was sufficiently away from the noise but near enough to get to all the events. The weather too was good and I loved being in a hotel right opposite the beach, and if I re-visit the area would not hesitate to book in again at the Langham.

Room Tip: Ask for Sea View if possible as hotel right on beach
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo