“Mixed Feelings”

Ranked #24 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
London, United Kingdom
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This was my second stay at this a hotel. First time it had left a good impression so I stayed longer this time. Like many other hotels in Eastbourne it is close to the beach and only a five minute walk from the town centre. The breakfast was above average for this type of hotel and the waitresses were pleasant and helpful as were all staff and management. My single en-suite room was an adequate size but could do with some improvement - the shower is just an attachment to the bath. The major disappointment was the bed - probably the smallest single I have ever tried to sleep in and with a mattress that was desperately worn.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank TrevandTracey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
folkestone
Reviewed September 17, 2011

for us the perfect hotel.Food brilliant rooms lovely staff and managers friendly and so efficient.Have not got anything bad to to say.Just go and enjoy a stress free stay

Room Tip: corner rooms are bigger higher rooms are quietest
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeffersFolkestone
Droitwich Spa, Worcestershire.
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Good position, if you can get a decent parking place.
Stayed in room 103...Best outlook.
The food is under whelming.
The cook (can’t call him/her a chef) can only boil vegetables until they are a soggy mess.
The cook has to mask all the foods with thick sauces and gravy.
One meal specifically stuck out, was the lamb in some sort of red wine sauce.
Our group consisted of ….. 2 X 62 year olds, plus one aged 89 and one aged 92, all four of us left it.
None of us found it palatable.
I asked for no sauce nor gravy for one meal, and my meat came out, rock hard and tasteless.
My wife gave up on the meat, and only ate fish at the end.
Cheap vegetables soaking in water is the name of the game, especially courgettes.
The very old ones’ love it….No need for teeth.

The great thing is the staff.
FANTASTIC!!! and nothing too much trouble.
If the owners’ can get a reasonable chef, it could be THE place to stay.

Another problem is…The toilet roll is so thin, you must take your own, or else your finger will disappear to a dark and not very nice place. (You know where I mean).
The beer in the bar is not a true beer, it is a John Smiths pumped through with nitrogen, and how ANYONE can call “Fosters” a lager, is self deluding with no taste.
You can only get Wi Fi in 2 public rooms…They should invest in a internet cable to each room, if they want to attract business people.
The TV when we went, was only 4 terrestrial channels.

A positive…
I slept on a foam mattress, as I do at home, and had some good nights sleep too.

Would I recommend it?
An honest answer is NO, until the food is differently prepared and presented.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ctpulley
Devon
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We have just had a short break in Eastbourne for the air show . Our first time in a hotel since i became disabled . in 1999 . we did nt quite know what to expect but my daughter booked us in The Palm Court Hotel and said we had a room for disabled . On our arrival we discovered everything was as described . There was a ramp to enter the hotel . Also plenty of room to manouvre a wheelchair into the room . The room was quite spacious with a disabled shower and facilities . The hotel also had a lift to all floors . The dining area was five star and the staff were very pleasent and professional also the meals were really nice and plenty of choice of food . Even though the weather spoilt part of the airshow .our stay at the Palm Court Hotel was very enjoyable . . We would certainly stay there again .

Room Tip: As we stayed in a disabled room i can only say it was first class .
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank scootermandevon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Wonderfull food, Great staff, A warm friendly hotel well worth a visit. Well placed for the seafront & the town centre, room spaceious comfortable with a good bathroom room, Creaky floorboards adds to its charm, Will return without dought. Wheelchair friendly made my stay easy. Very well maintained.
averygrahame@yahoo.co.uk

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank grahameavery
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Enjoyed a last minute 1 night stay here. Easy parking, welcoming, spotlessly clean hotel. It is 2 star so dont expect the world but for what I paid I was more than happy.
The bedroom was a good size, the bathroom clean but could have done with a bit of attention. Tea and coffee is provided, breakfast was average, I would opt for cereal and toast next time rather than the cooked.
I agree with the previous comment that at 47 I felt like a spring chicken! I walked into the dining room and thought I had wandered into a care home!
I would def stay again. The only down side was that the bed was not particularly comfortable but all in all well worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank seniorsis
London
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We have been to this Hotel five times, and its predecessor with the same owners, twice.
We look upon it as home from home. The staff, mostly family members, are so friendly and helpful you feel as if they are "your" family too. The food very good, is home cooked and the portions very generous. The lounges are gorgeous - big comfy armchairs and peace and quiet. The bar is well stocked and there is always snacks and drinks of all sorts available. Originally the Hotel was used by the RNIB for blind visitors, so it has a lot of very useful additions, such as a "talking" lift, and a ramp up to the Hotel, and helpful rails in many places. A great place for the elderly and disabled. I have nothing bad to say about the "Palm Court". We love it and will return as often as they can accommodate us!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple