“Wow is all I can say!!”
Review of East Beach Hotel

East Beach Hotel
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I would like to say a huge thank you to Heidi and staff at the East Beach Hotel. I booked the hotel for my wedding reception in January and was abit unsure of what to expect . But I was not disappointed . Myself and a few guests stayed at the hotel the night before the wedding and were impressed with the rooms. The day of the wedding came and after enjoying a great breakfast we saw the staff working hard to get the hotel ready for the wedding. From start to finish we received fantastic service , lots of alcohol , food etc and a amazing cake . All our guests were impressed by the venue and service and quality of the rooms.. I strongly recommend the east beach hotel for location, price and customer service. I don't see how the hotel has got all the bad reviews from previous guests. I think they must have had their eyes shut or at wrong hotel . ONCE AGAIN THANKS ALOT TO HEIDI , STAFF AND MY GUESTS FOR MAKING OUR WEDDING DAY AN AMAZING DAY.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Owen8324

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Once we settled in to our room though (with a great sea view) we found it to be clean and comfortable, yes it was a bit run down but you could see they were making every effort to do it up.The staff were fabulous and nothing was too much trouble. The food was wonderful (compliments to the chef) Good helpings and a good choice to suit all tastes.
We had a ball what with all the excursions and a trip to the theater it was one of the best holidays we have had.
A big thank you to Mike the coach driver who went above and beyond the call of duty.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kath m
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here for the Weekend and had a really enjoyable stay. On the telephone before we arrived and from the moment we got there the staff were very pleasant, helpful and accomodating. Our Room was gorgeous and we really really enjoyed a splendid weekend. Hard to comment on the restaurant becuase we only had breakfast in the hotel but the breakfast was great. It was a pleasure to be right on the front and enjoy the views and location without it being busy or noisy. It was the perfect place to spend a relaxing weekend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gary H
TheEastBeachHotel, Manager at East Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the fantastic review and wonderful comments. We are so glad that you had enjoyable and relaxing stay. Our staff always really appreciate hearing feedback from guests, so we will be pleased to pass on such a nice compliments. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Being residents of Eastbourne, my partner and I decided to stay to have a night away from the children. We didn't want to go too far from home and also didn't want anything too expensive, so this place seemed ideal. We booked a superior refurbished room and it was very pleasant, you do get what you pay for and i am sure there probably are better hotels in eastbourne but this one was just what we wanted. Clean, tidy, friendly, good cooked breakfast. We would stay again

Room Tip: Ask for sea view if possible, it's worth it
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrscakeEastbourne
TheEastBeachHotel, Manager at East Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for spending your time to give us a kind feedback on your recent stay. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Booked an overnight stay in June as we were down in Sussex on Family business. First of all parking is difficult as the hotel does not have a car park. That is not their fault and we knew about it being a problem. Climbing the front steps the electric sliding door opened onto the glazed verandah. The once opulent furniture in the verandah was tired dirty and uninviting. Squeezing through the narrow entry hall we were ushered to our first floor back en-suite bedroom past mounds of dirty linen heaped on the landing carpet. The room was dismal and dated, like something from the early 1960's. A boarded up iron fireplace, an emulsioned out fanlight and a tiny ensuite gave the room it's character. This was heightened by a safe-like non - working fridge and a faded plastic box containing loose sugar, tea bags etc. The bed was comfortable and suprisingly clean. The bathroom would not have looked out of place in the 1955 Ideal Home Exhibition if it had been cleaned up a bit! The tops of the taps to the washbasin, which say hot and cold were missing. There was a hand shower to the bath which gasped out cool water with blasts of occasionally scalding water. My partner refused to use it. (she told me the next day that it wasn't because of the water temperature but rather that she had seen a cocaroach scurry out of site in the bathroom!) The night was noisy, (mostly due to drunks behind the hotel) and we didn't get much sleep. Breakfast was adequate (just) and the dining room staff non too cheerful. We were so glad when we packed up, got back in our car and drove away! I know this sounds the view of a jaundiced perfectionist but it isn't! I was brought up in the hotel trade in Wales and I know what I find acceptable and what just isn't! There is no excuse for dirty furniture, filthy carpets and miserable staff (the receptionist was the only one who was pleasant). Go and stay somewhere else if you can, give this dump a wide berth!

Room Tip: Rooms in any other hotel are probably better!
4  Thank Mangonel
TheEastBeachHotel, Owner at East Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We have for some time been undergoing a refurbishment programme and that is why we grade our rooms "Standard" and Economy. The higher the grade of the room and the facilities is reflected in the price. If you book a basic room and that is all that you get. A few of the rooms are dated, but they are all clean and tidy. We do not have and have never had as you say cockroaches, if we did I can assure you that I would be the first to be running out of the building after calling in the exterminators!! It amazes me that you would want to sleep in a room if as you say had the cockroaches in. It is also such a shame that the only time that you are mentioning such a ridiculous comment is here on such a public forum and that you did not discuss with the hotel at the time. We do not have electric slinging door on the entrance to our "Sun lounge" which begs the question......... Did you actually stay here with us at the East Beach!!
Sorry that you did not have a nice visit in Eastbourne. But I can assure you, us hoteliers do not model our businesses in any way on Faulty Towers despite what you may think.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I booked an overnight stay here, asked for a sea view room and paid extra for the priviledge as I wanted to relax and read my book whilst enjoying the view. I was horrified when we got to our room. Before we could even get in the door we had to move a bundle of duvets that was blocking our door. Once in the room which was of adequate size, we saw this amazing huge bay window which was draped in net curtains. on pulling them back to admire the view we could not see out of the windows. They look like they haven`t been cleaned in 10 years. Absolutely no excuse why they were so filthy as you only have to step out onto the balcony. If I had a cloth with me I would have cleaned them.
Next was the state of the carpet, there was black stains all over a beige carpet. They didn`t even try to disguise it with a rug!
The loo was separate from the shower. When you switch the light on it sounds like an aeroplane starting up its engines. The hot tap dripped the whole time and sometimes seemed to turn itself back on. Shower looked past its best so I didn`t use it opting for a strip wash instead.
Bedding was clean but very basic.
For a Hotel that has had the help and advise of the Hotel Inspector the owners don`t appear to have listened and don`t appear to want to invest money into the hotel.
On a positive note, the breakfast served in the dining room was very nice and served by a very nice bunch of young waiter/waitresses.
Good location for beach and shopping but take my advise and book a different Hotel, I will not be back.

Room Tip: Take window cleaner and cloth with you.
3  Thank Trixie A

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly value the opinion of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. It is a great shame that the only time you are expressing your disappointment is here, after leaving the hotel. We value our guests and always want to find a solutions to make sure that they have relaxing stay. We are always willing to find the perfect room for every guest, so it is very upsetting for us that we did not have a chance to resolve your issues. We have addressed the cleanliness issue and mentioned your points to make sure that it won't happen again. We have for some time now been undergoing a refurbishment programme and I hope you can appreciate the fact that it takes time. We have reviewed each of your comments and have taken appropriate action to resolve each issue. Thank you for the positive comments about our staff and breakfast, we really appreciate that. Again, we are very sorry that your stay with us was not a good one, but invite you to give us another try.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The room was nice, very slow lift and lots of stairs.
Breakfast was a very somber affair, slow staff was scared to talk!
We had booked an upgraded room but was just a basic despite paying £85.
Mo Mambo's resturant on seaview road is a must-best italian i have ever had!

2  Thank Michelle W

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. It is our mission to provide our guests with the best possible hospitality and service, that is why we are very disappointed to read your comments about our breakfast and staff. We are buying and using the local produce, vegetables and fruits because we know they are at their best. We are looking forward to welcoming you again during your next stay in Eastbourne and hope you will give us a second chance to convince you with a better service.