“Very good indeed; outstanding value for money” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shore View Hotel

Shore View Hotel
Ranked #13 of 42 Hotels in Eastbourne
“Very good indeed; outstanding value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

This hotel was previously a Travelodge but changed hands in March. The location, seafront, is perfect. The building is old, beautiful and quirky -rooms are large and are being updated to a high standard. Housekeeping is first class; all is scrupulously clean.
Pleasingly, most of the well trained, attentive Travelodge staff have been TUPE'd. Everything is with a smile, nothing is too much. there is a real" can do" attitude
Value for money is incredible: £40ish for the room per night.
Breakfast is fairly basic and limited in choice,as is dinner, but all is reasonably priced. However the new owners are upgrading the restaurant and offerings.
I've been staying here 3/4 times a year for 2-3 day breaks for several years and I've never had cause to complain.
I cannot recommend the place highly enough.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room; views from the rear are of other buildings only.. Room 404 has its own turret...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ShoreViewHotel, General Manager at Shore View Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Hi John

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you once again enjoyed your visit to Eastbourne and it was lovely to see you both again.

You'll be pleased to hear that since your stay we have upgraded the breakfast service, offering a much wider selection than ever before. For the benefit of yourself and all our future guests, we are also currently working on improving our dinner menu.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and I'm sure you'll be impressed with the further changes we will have made.

Kind regards, Andy Bruce - General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Slovak first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed herer may2013 and this is the 3rd time we have stayed here, booked with travelodge but added a 4th night onto our stay with a discounted rate from shore view, once this hotel is fully upgraded it will be lovely as travelodge have let it run down, but they knew it was going to be sold on. would reccomend this hotel and room 404 is biggest room in hotel with panoramic views. parking directly outside hotel is only £4 for 24 hours, near to shopping centre, a bus ride away from brighton and a train journey from london, and 3 hours from new forrest. this is an excellent base for exploring the south coast

Room Tip: request room 404, it is excellent
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ShoreViewHotel, General Manager at Shore View Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear April

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your trip to Eastbourne. I am very glad that you once again enjoyed your stay with us. I am sure you're as pleased as I am to see that the hotel is finally recieving the refurbishment it deserves. The works are being completed to schedule and the 14 newly redecorated and refurnished rooms on the ground floor look brilliant.

As you mention in your review, the hotel is in a superb location with ample parking at a very reasonable price. If you haven't already done so, may I suggest that next time you vist Eastbourne you take a trip to Soverign Harbour? With a very good selection of restaurants, shops and some beautiful boats to look at it's a really lovely day out.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Remember, keep an eye out for our exclusive deals and offers which are sent out to our brilliant Shore View customers.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Booked 2 rooms under travelodge. Both lovely sea views, except one room the windows were filthy. Lovely location as only a couple of minutes walk to pier.Slight smell of drains occassionally in bathroom. But otherwise very clean. Currently under refurbishment our room was still the basic travelodge style. Workman don't start till late so no problem with noise. Whether we stay here again will depend on how expensive it becomes and if it gets good reviews when refurbishment complete.
We didn't pay the £7.50 per head for breakfast as we use a cafe on seaside road. Used restaurant once in evening. It was o.k.

Room Tip: Book sea view room , but I expect once refurbished you will pay more.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Claire

Thank you for writing about your stay with us during your visit to Eastbourne. I am sorry to hear about the issues you encountered with your room. I would be very appreciative if you would email me with the room number you stayed in and I will look into this. My personal email address is gm@shoreviewhotel.co.uk.

If you would like to see how our new rooms look, please feel free to also drop me an email and I will be more than happy to forward you some photographs. With a complete redecoration and refurnishing, the changes are a huge imrpvement.

I would love to welcome you back in the future so you get to see these improvements in person. We will continue to offer some fantastic deals and run regular promotions esclusively for all our past, present and future Shore View guests. Keep an eye out for these as they will usually be sent out via email.

Thank you once again for your valued comments.

Portsmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Our original booking was with Travelodge, but the transfer to the new owners was seamless.
Our room had a beautiful sea view and I took several photos, but the owners' own photos were just about the same, so there was no point in posting them.
The room was spacious and clean. We slept well and enjoyed the shower.
The reception staff were always friendly and cheerful.
Refurbishment was under way, and we saw new beds being delivered, though we did not experience any disruption to our stay.
Our original booking was for a date when my wife had since been scheduled for chemotherapy, and although the booking was on sale terms (no change or refund) the hotel most kindly allowed to bring the date of our visit forward.
We don't use economy hotel breakfasts, so cannot comment on the food.
However, having eaten in the evenings at the 5 star Grand hotel, we did not feel at all unhappy to walk back along the prom to this hotel for a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: The sea view is well worth having.
1 Thank fatoldman
ShoreViewHotel, General Manager at Shore View Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Hi there

Thank you so much for your kind words with regards to your recent stay at the Shore View Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. It's great to hear that the refurbishment works did not cause any disruption to your stay. We are working very hard with the building team to ensure this is the case for all our guests throughout the duration of the works.

We have just finished an extensive upgrade to our kitchen facilities which will soon be complimented with the complete redecoration and refurnishing of our restaurant. If you stay with us again I would be honoured if you chose to eat breakfast at the hotel as we plan to make it far from economy :-)

I wish your wife and yourself all the best and I would love to welcome you back to the Shore View Hotel very soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Sorry for the late review (we stayed with you at the beginning of May).....

We have stayed in this hotel many times before when this was a Travelodge and once now as the Shore View Hotel. We were really pleased to see that a lot of the staff had stayed, the staff are such an asset to this hotel, always so helpful and pleasant.

We totally understand the hotel is having a refurb and we were in no way bothered by any work going on. We were shown and told with so much enthusiasm about was was going to happen with the refurb etc. and this will only make the hotel better in our eyes. With such a perfect location this for us is the ideal hotel for a great base when visiting Eastbourne. The room was cleaned well and if you run out of anything just pop to reception and they will provide whatever you need. We will definitely be back in the not too distant future. Thanks for another great stay and see you soon :)

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sindy S
ShoreViewHotel, General Manager at Shore View Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Hi Sindy

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and taking time to write about your visit to Eastbourne. As you mention in your review, the team (including myself) has remained the same during the transfer to the Shore View Hotel. It is a very exciting time for us all with plenty of excellent and much needed changes being made to the hotel. Since you stayed in the beginning of May, we have now completed the full redecoration and refurnishing of all 14 bedrooms on the ground floor. They look absolutely fantastic! Work has now begun on the kitchen and restaurant area and we are looking forward to imroving this facility for the benefit of yourself and all our future guests.

It is always lovely to hear positive comments about the staff members at the hotel. We always strive to give the best possible customer service to all of our guests. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the whole of the team.

Thank you once again for your encouraging words and we all look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reigate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Second time at this hotel; it is an ex-Travel Lodge but undergoing a refurb. The work did not affect the stay. With Travel Lodge you know exactly what you are booking, the economy end of the chain hotel market. I get the impression that Shore View has higher aspirations for the hotel.

This hotel is in a fantastic location on the sea front, this is a real positive.

If the refurb is half as good as promised and prices do not go up too much they will have a real value for money winner here and will shoot up the Trip Advisor league table for the town.
The rooms and common areas remain as was, but all are promised a makeover by the end of July. If I had one message for the new owners it would be look at the breakfast, for a small investment and increase in quality you could have a real impact.

For me however the real positive was the staff. Everywhere from reception, to breakfast room to cleaners, they are all cheerful and customer focused; professionalism that would not be out of place in a high end London hotel.

In summary, I think the new owners have a vision and I look forward to seeing this. I must finish on a note about the staff, what a great team, well done.

1 Thank MrC64
ShoreViewHotel, General Manager at Shore View Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Hi there

Thank you very much for taking time to comment on your recent stay at the Shore View Hotel. As you mention in your review, we are currently carrying out a fantastic refurbishment programme which will completely transform the hotel. Fear not, we will continue to provide all our guests with the best value for money. In addition to this we will also be offering some brilliant, exclusive deals and running regular promotions for some great additional savings on our bedrooms. Keep an eye out for these as they will usually be sent out via email :-)

You will be glad to hear that we have just completed a brand new kitchen installation and re-fit. This will enable us to improve the quality of our breakfast and dinner service along with a better selection of the products we offer. But it doesn't stop there, the restaurant dining area is also undergoing a re-vamp. Complete with a brand new buffet servery and comfortable new furniture, it will be a dramatic improvement for yourself and and all future guests.

As always, it is really encouraging to hear positive comments about the staff members at the hotel. We always strive to give the best possible customer service to all of our guests. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the whole of the team.

I look forward to welcoming back soon so you can see for yourself the great changes we have made.

Andy Bruce - General Manager.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night over early May bank holiday.great location, though had to park quite a walk away!
Unfortunately the hotel desperately needs updating, very shabby at the moment!
The room was so basic and the bathroom so old and tatty!
Lovely old building, but I think the new owners have a huge (and expensive) job on their hands to entice guests back!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dianne S
ShoreViewHotel, General Manager at Shore View Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Hi Dianne

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Shore View Hotel. I'm sure you can appreciate that these things don't happen over night but I promise we are hurrying as fast as we can with our superb £500,000 refurbishment programme. We are looking to complete this by the middle of July and I am confident you that once all areas of the hotel have been refurbished you won't recognise the place!

I would love to give you a sneak peek of the changes we have already made to the 14 bedrooms on our ground floor. Please contact me on my personal email address gm@shoreviewhotel.co.uk and I would be delighted to send you some pictures of the newly decorated and fully refurnished rooms.

It would be fantastic to welcome you back in the future so you can see for yourself the great changes we have made to the hotel.

Thank you once again for your vauled comments.