“Dirty and unhelpful owners”

Cumberland Hotel Eastbourne
Ranked #23 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed September 12, 2008

Our twin room was dark and pokey. The bathroom floor was old orange vinyl in a chewed state around the toilet bowl. Oh how I wish I had taken a photo as evidence. Hardly the refurbished room advertised.

The 2nd night around midnight there was great disturbance from the property next door. Unable to sleep and numerous calls down to the night desk I eventually got a response of "this does sometimes happen", on checkout the next day there was no apology or offer of reduction in the rate. We will never be staying anywhere near this palce again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank RobinRedEngland

Reviewed August 3, 2008

When we arrived at the hotel for one night only, having booked a suite. I realised I had arrived on some kind of war theme day, as the hotel was adorned in British flags, with a vintage jeep outside. The Receptionist, asked if we were here for the forties weekend ? - It turned out we'd booked when the hotel was booked out for a themed weekend - except no one told me, even though I booked directly with the hotel. They apologised and asked if I was happy with that. Not really, so we had to dine somewhere else or find a forties outfit to wear ! - We dined in a lovely Italian restaurant nearby.

Apart from the initial faux pas, I found the hotel clean and good quality although old fashioned ( I prefer contemporary, which I thought it was). It's an imposing grand looking hotel which stands out on the coast line. We stayed in the King Edward Suite, which is large, comfortable, but the bathroom was tiny with a sliding door ! The room also had a lovely balcony unfortunately it was shared with the room next door, so not good if you like privacy like I do. However it overlooked the sea, lovely position, and also looked over a beach front band stand...but that didn't spoil the view.

On the whole it was very pleasant. But Eastbourne is very much for the senior citizen, I'm 52 , but felt like an 18 year old amongst the zimmer frames and motobility scooters - don't mean to be rude about that, just giving a true picture.

- But a lovely clean area, the promenade is spotless, although the beach is shail, which is difficult to walk on ( even without a zimmer frame !). The town is on hand lovely shops and bars..not cheap and tacky like Blackpool.

Definately not for children...which is great if you haven't got any like me.

Would recommend it for a relaxing holiday if you are in your twilight years !!!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I have just returned from four days at the Cumberland. The rooms were clean and the linen was spotless.
The lift was a problem as the doors shut with force before everyone was out. Some people went up and down a couple of times before they managed to get out!
The food was good and the service was good.
The one thing that was a problem - the peacocks in the neighbouring garden - that 'called out' at five in the morning. It was difficult to get to sleep again. Infact we gave up and were drinking our early morning tea at quarter past five each morning. Fortunately we had a busy schedule and an early start was not the problem it would have been if we had been on holiday.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank scarlettHampshire
Reviewed April 15, 2008

Spent a weekend at the Cumberland including a Ladies night dinner & dance. Room was basic but clean and staff were very helpful with the children. Food was very good, with quick and friendly service. Positioned right on the front near the pier and 5 mins from the shops. Would happily go back for another weekend.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank gmtechnick
Reviewed March 14, 2008

Our room was a single size, old and smelling of cigarette fumes, we overlooked the back, looking out at the service yards & kitchens. One window (sash frame) that when opened to airate pigeons flew in on two days.
The en-suite was so small, you really couldn't swing a mouse in it. The shower broke twice, unable to turn off the hot water!
The room was dirty, and after our real disapointment noticed the seriously dirty carpet. There was no space to stretch our legs except on the bed!
If that wasn't bad enough the food was not fresh, with frozen vegetables and small portions. There was no real choice, unusual for such a big hotel.
When we complained four times, it was like deaf ears, returning plumbers tools to reception and telling them about the pigeon invasion...replied like Sybil Fawlty.."well there is a pigeon problem in Eastbourne"! We have never been contacted by the Cumberland since leaving a written message upon departure.
Clearly the worst hotel we have ever stayed at.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank LincolnNutty
Reviewed October 24, 2007

Having just returned from sunny Eastbourne with a party of 40 pensioners(my sister & I are in our 40s) I can honestly say I was impressed by the hotel & how well it catered for all of us. The rooms were very clean with sheets & towels changed daily. My only concern here was the bathroom was very tiny & anyone with a disability could find it awkward ie my Mum. We were only staying 2 nights it was not worth the hassle of moving. But I'm sure you could ask if there was a bigger bathroom available. The food was very good considering how many guests there were in the dinning room at one time. 3 courses and ample. Although most of the staff were not english they were very efficient and polite. Overall we had a pleasant stay. I would recommened this hotel for value for money. The location was ideal right on the sea front with flat and uneven surfaces.

• Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank patrica47
Reviewed October 16, 2007

Had a very good 5 day holiday. The room was clean and serviced well
The food and service in the restraunt was first class. Looking forward to another visit The staff wer very friendly and courteous

• Stayed: October 2007