“Awful restaurant and lack of interest from reception”

and 1 more site!
Cumberland Hotel Eastbourne
Ranked #24 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My parents have asked me to place this comment concerning their stay and the restaurant at the Cumberland in particular.

Both parents have stayed and enjoyed food in many restaurants around the UK and Europe. The stay at the Cumberland was generally ok, the rooms were tired but clean and the main staff friendly and helpful but, the restaurant was the problem. The food is possibly the worst they have been given in any hotel they have stayed in before and when mentioning the issue to the resturant manager, she just said, "I'll get the general manager to contact you" That was weeks ago and still no contact. It seems they know the problem and can do nothing about it. The suggestion therefore is do not eat there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Graham M

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have stayed here 3 times now with our dance club and every time it's been great. Service is second to none. Food great. Would Recomend every time. it's so close to shops, pier and right across the road from the beach. So much to do and see.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The location and staff were very friendly, booked 2 rooms but rooms very tired and in need of redecoration and a lot of paint. This hotel needs major building improvements as a large part of ceiling on second floor needs to be replaced. The bathrooms were dirty with hair on floor. Carpets were stained,creeky and old. I would recommend finding alternative hotel until improvements complete.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank galaxytrotter
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I went for a 5 day break with a group from my club. I thought the hotel was in an ideal position on the sea front, and only a short walk along the prom to the town and shops. It was a very nice hotel, if a bit tired. Staff were great, and food very nice with a lot of choice. It looked as if they had suffered with the weather, and there were damp patches where it had marked the wallpaper. In my room (303) it looked as if the upstairs had let the bath run over. But staying that the rooms were clean and spotless, with tea coffee and biscuits everyday. Other guests were noisy letting doors slam, and I would suggest they put door closers on all the doors to stop that. We have all said we would like to go again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I am writting this review after returning from a weeks stay at the Cumberland Hotel.

We where in room 218 a very nice and clean little room. All the staff are great and very helpfull. Our housekeeper Michele was a lovely and kept our room to a high standard. She always had a smile on her face every morning.and nothing was to much touble for her.

This is a great hotel and it is so nice to be known as a person and not just a room number.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank blockley_12
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Have just returned from a weeks holiday in Eastbourne staying at the CUMBERLAND OTEL in a twin room on the 4th FLOOP ( these are not spelling mistakes by me) We had no professional welcome, the staff at the desk never wore any type of uniform.
My Husband was given a form to fill and sign in two places stating he owed 60 pounds this was interesting as we hadn't paid anything as yet. When he pointed this out she said oh it isn't for you but never mind, still refusing to take any money not even a deposit. She then said the one and only lift was out of order and would we like help with our luggage seeing we were on the 4th floor, I should jolly well think so.
Our room was out of the ark, the furniture a disgrace sliding doors on the cupboard which didn't slide, at one end there were shelves which looked as if they had come out of a kitchen unit. They were all chipped and worn, didn't really like putting our clothes in it but didn't have any choice.
We had paid extra for a sea view which we had IF you stood on tip toe as there were two very tiny windows one had a cupboard in front of it so that window was out of reach. The bathroom was reasonable as long as you both didn't want to flush the toilet. We reported this and it took 48 hours for a plumber to turn up by which time we imagine the cleaner had managed to flush the toilet. There was a television but it was an old fashioned analogue one with only channels 1, 2, 3, 4 which was on 5 and visa versa. I think it was supposed to be a colour tv but as 90 per cent of the time it was black and white I am not really sure. On the bedhead there was a strange box thing with knobs it was probably once a radio but no sound came out of it. Just to make the room complete every floor board creaked terribly, as you stood on one of them the rubbish bin shot up in the air. We felt very sorry for the people below us.
We were there for bed and breakfast, which was supposed to start at 8am, but on several occasions was much later opening. There was a notice on the door stating you MUST sit at the same table all the time, it was a good game finding your table as they had surnames on them and not room numbers and to make it more fun half way through the week they changed all
the tables round. There were cereals, tinned grapefruit, tinned prunes and out of date yoghurts, there was a hot counter but no bread, cold meats or cheeses and NO fresh fruit. You were given a pot of tea which had just enough for one cup each and two tiny jugs of milk which was for the cereals as well as the cup of tea. The tables were extremely close together the service did improve a bit when a coach party turned up.
On the first morning we were there which was a Sunday, we went back to our room after our breakfast at 9.10am to be greeted by a cleaner knocking on our door saying she needed to make our room up, which we said was not acceptable at that time of the morning. I am not someone to accept terrible service so I complained, all I got were disgusting looks from all the staff. As we checked out my Husband asked for a receipt for the bill he had paid, the receptionist looked in amazement and out from under the desk appeared a pile of papers she went through and found a sort of receipt.
This hotel has 3 stars 1 star is too many.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was number 405 on the 4th Floor. Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank WendyCaterham
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed here again this year with our ballroom dancing group. We had a wonderful room last year overlooking the prom and the bandstand - I couldn't remember the room number or which floor it was on, so I emailed the hotel and explained that we loved our previous room but couldn't remember the room number. I got a reply almost immediately saying they had looked up our room number from last year (I didn't give them the date we stayed) and they'd booked us into the same room. This was just another example of the caring attitude the staff had displayed the previous year - a genuine wish to please all-too-often lacking these days wherever you stay. The hotel isn't wonderfully modern, and yes, the floorboards still creak in the corridors, but this is an old, venerable building on the wonderful seafront at Eastbourne and I wouldn't change a thing about it. Except perhaps our slightly squeaky mattress! The food was excellent again with a good choice of menu - breakfasts were particularly nice with good-quality ingredients. Dinner was always hot and well-cooked, although we're certainly not talking Michelin star, but it was all tasty. A friend's gluten-free diet was cheerfully catered for without fuss. I can't think of any place I've stayed that offered better value for money and a general feeling of being taken care of. Looking forward to next year already!

Room Tip: Corner rooms on the upper floors have a great view overlooking the Bandstand - you can enjoy their e...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends