“A wonderful break”
Review of Cavendish Hotel

Cavendish Hotel
Ranked #33 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I moved to Eastbourne about 18 months ago and invited my mom down for a week break; she had never been before, always lived in the "land locked" Midlands. I decided to book a really nice hotel for both of us and wasn't disappointed with the Cavendish. The recent refurbishment was matched by the excellent service. Breakfasts were a leisurely event with an array of perfectly cooked traditional "English" breakfasts and continental assortment. My mom's room was on the 4th floor on the corner of the hotel with a sea view and a large balcony. The room overlooked the bandstand which she thoroughly enjoyed with the various bands playing and the pier was just across the way. I couldn't have asked for a better venue for my mom's visit. Book room 410 if you're can.

• Stayed: August 2009
2  Thank Peter1959

Reviewed July 8, 2009

Very charming Victorian hotel. It was recently renovated and was comfortable although not luxury. The services were adequate but the service was great and the location was excellent. I don't know if the hotel had air conditioning but the windows opened to the sea and we enjoyed the nice sea breeze.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Born-on-Rt66
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Stayed for a long weekend having done a bit research on the local hotels (mainly from this site). Really mixed experience; I booked directly with them as it seems booking thorugh Lastminute means you end up in a room with a street view not sea view. Telephone booking was superb - the lady was very friendly. She remembered my call when I checked in and re-assured me that she had put me in a room that would not be directly above the function hall as there was a prom that evening. This worked out really well as indeed I couldn't hear the renditions of "aaga do-do-do push pineapple, shake the tree..." which was audible on the other side of the hotel.
The odd thing is the interior decoration of the ground floor is really nice, but the rooms are really old fashioned, a bit like student digs in feel. Clean but nowhere near the decor of the 'welcome' you get. A bit deceiving I think. Also, the standard room do not have air conditioning. A hotel, on the beach, apparently 4-star. No A/C?!
I only had breakfast there as I wanted to discover a few local restaurants for dinner. From what the other patrons were saying the food is not great.
Hotel: okayish.
Rooms: hmmm
Staff: mostly okay, except for one very stroppy and rather abrupt woman on reception (everyone at some point seemed to moan about her!)
Location: excellent, BUT it's in-front of the bandstand - but they only play for a short while so not too noisy at night.
Parking: At the rear at £4/day
Free wifi is really helpful except it's not available on every floor - they do provide cables though.

I'd try another hotel along the strip before going back, but would go back.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank LondonRad.
Reviewed May 20, 2009

We had a 3 day conference and found the hotel met all of our needs efficeintly and professionaly. I had the benefit of an East facing room so got a view of the pier and beach with a balcony.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank CrispinBournemouth
Reviewed February 27, 2009

I've just returned from a 4 night stay at the Cavendish with a coach tour and can't recommend the hotel highly enough. From the moment we stepped in to the beautiful lobby/reception area we were definitely impressed. I understand that the hotel has recently undergone major refurbishment and it certainly shows. Its luxuriously decorated and furnished public areas set the tone of a high end 4 star hotel. We were accomdated in room 316. A standard twin room but with a lovely sea view as well as a view of the bandsatnd and pier. The room itself wasn't huge but was adequate for 2 people and had enough storage space for 5 days worth of 2 women's luggage. The bathroom was probably the biggest I've seen in any hotel I've ever stayed in and the shower was powerful and hot (2 characteristics not always present in hotel showers). More importantly however, the entire room was spotless and toiletries, refreshments (including 2 bottles of mineral water) and towels were replenished/changed daily.

We ate dinner every night in the Marine Restaurant. Being part of the coach party meant we were limited to a set 3 course menu but choices were still plentiful and the food itself was delicious every night. Similarly, breakfast in the morning, a self serve buffet, was also served in the restaurant and was also plentiful in its variety. The prices at the Coronet bar, although quite high, were comparable to most other hotels of this standard and the chandelier adorned "conservatory" area overlooking the sea front was a lovely place to relax with a cocktail.

We did not experience the spa at the hotel so I cannot comment on that but the prices seemed reasonable enough and if it lived up to the rest of the hotel then I'm sure it's amazing.

The staff at the hotel were helpful and friendly throughout and we got the impression that they genuinely enjoyed their jobs. They certainly added to the long list of "positives" about this hotel.

However, having said all that there are some "negatives" that prevent me from giving the hotel a 5 star rating. They may seem like nit-picking but they did slightly tarnish an otherwise near-perfect hotel experience. Firstly was the heat in the rooms. There was no need to visit the sauna downstairs as the heat in the room was almost unbearable at times. Despite it being mid February we had the window open all week but it still didn't seem to make a difference. Also the towel rail in the bathroom was ridiculously hot and there was no obvious way to turn it off. I burnt my hand on it and would hate to see a child suffer a similar injury. My only other minor issue was the lack of evening entertainment in the hotel. Posters in the reception and lift areas advertised the fact that periodic entertainment does occur there but nothing was on during our stay and I felt a bit of amusement may even have encouraged us to spend more time (and money) in the bar instead of retiring to our room. But like I say these are only very minor negatives in what was ultimately a fabulous stay in a fantastic hotel.

Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed January 15, 2009

We have recently returned from a fantastic 4 days break at The Cavendish Hotel where our daughter and now son-in-law held their wedding reception.
From the moment we arrived and were taken to our wonderful room the experience began.
The spacious room with big comfy bed was spotlessly clean as was the whole hotel.
Each morning the breakfast was delicious and the waiting staff very friendly. This was also true on the one evening when we enjoyed a meal in the Marine restaurant with family and friends before the wedding day.
The bar prices were very reasonable and the snack menu extensive also.
We found time to chill out in the Pebbles Sanctuary which we found very relaxing and special.
The hotel staff were all very friendly which of course made the build up to the wedding so enjoyable.
For the past 6 months our daughter had been arranging her wedding and Ashley - the General Manager - catered for her many requests. When the big day arrived everything was perfect. The hotel florist created amazing modern displays to coordinate with the wedding flowers - even on the reception desk and in the 'Ladies'.
The hotel toastmaster - Mike - organised everyone so well and was a really friendly man. We all waited on the hotel steps - with its spotless red carpet and sparkling brass handrails - for the bride and groom's arrival. They were greeted by Ashley and Mike and then showered with confetti.
After tasty canapes and champagne in the Library we all enjoyed a delicious gourmet wedding breakfast followed by a great evening party.
Ashley, as general manager, should be extremely proud of her hotel and all of its staff who gave us such personal treatment. They all made the wedding day and our entire stay so special.
To finish, we would add that we too are in the hospitality business and like to think we know what it takes to get it right and make a stay special, which the Cavendish certainly did. In particular all of the staff were courteous, the hotel was spotless and when we asked for a couple of routine maintenance items to be carried out they were.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed January 1, 2009

We booked through LastMinute.com under their top "secret" deals
where they choose a posh hotel for you without naming it - for a bargain get away rate. We booked a room, and requested a sea view. The hotel was virtually empty between Christmas and New Year's. Instead of giving us a sea view room, however, we were given a dingy rear room overlooking the fire escape and a blank wall - perhaps one of the worst in the hotel. When we complained, we were told that because we had booked through a discount scheme, we were not entitled to a sea view, even though the rooms were all available and empty. The moral of the tale - never book a room blindly at this hotel! Staff were not helpful and perhaps jaded by the Christmas season.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank londonwasp