“Single rooms are very small”
Review of Cavendish Hotel

Cavendish Hotel
Ranked #33 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've stayed here before and generally enjoy my stay very much. On a previous occasion I received a free upgrade to a double room which was great. I asked on this occasion and was told that this would not be possible without paying or asking. Given that my colleague for whom I had also booked received a free upgrade to a room with a sea view I was a little put out. Perhaps I'm being petty but the single rooms are very small. The hotel itself is great and the breakfast in the wonderful dining room is super. I received the wrong newspaper two days running and the wifi is almost completely useless despite having to pay for it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ez3626

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in January 2013. The hotel is pure luxury and relaxation. Perfect location just at the sea front and 5 minutes away from high street with shops and restaurants.

Rooms are spacious and very clean and en suite bathroom is also spacious and being cleaned by staff every day. We had our towels changed every day and the room was supplied with variety of instant drinks eg hot chocolate, tea or coffe. We also had bottles of water added to our room daily.
The hotel has got its own spa where the relaxation sanctuary is free of charge for hotel guests. So if you are staying in the hotel its worth to try out the aromatherapy , sauna and monsoon shower for as long as you wish.

Breakfast was lovely , full English plus some continental ham, cheese and bread.

the only thing(s) we didnt like was the size of meals when ordered of from "normal" menu. Very small, "bold" and to be honest we thought that they were not much different to a la carte meals....dry chicken breast (tiny and thin)on the top of salad for dinner and tiny little dessert for afters...not very impressed with that so we decided that for the same price it is better to eat "normal" sized meals in one of the local Italian restaurants.

Also, we were not very impressed with one of the cleaners that spoke very poor English and come across as rude....One day she got the hump with us because she wanted to clean the room and we were there...and on our last day of visit when we supposed to check out by 10am she would come to the room with a piece of paper at around 9.15 looked at us and started saying : Ok Ok Ok ...And walked away. When we were leaving the room at exactly 9.30 we saw her having a word with either the security guard or her supervisor pointing at us and our room...but we didnt stop and carried on downstairs to chceck out. So we are not really sure what the problem was...but it looked like she complained that we were still there...same maid that got hump with us couple of days earlier.

Anyway , apart from them 2 negative comments everything else was perfect and we enjoyed our stay in the hotel . We will get back to that hotel in future.

Room Tip: sea view rooms are a cold when very windy outside
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank takhaet
Reviewed January 18, 2013

we stayed in a double room on the first floor but we found it dark and the outlook was a metal staircase so we upgraded to a seaview which was in comparison fantastic as it was a far bigger room and far brighter.we thought the meals were sub standard and on the second night we sent them back. the breakfast was very good with lots of choices.

Room Tip: always go for a seaview as they are bright and roomy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dodger64
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Arriving after a lengthy journey across Southern England what I didn't need was confrontation and problems on arrival in the early hours of the morning and I am pleased to say that is indeed what I didn't get, intsead a very pleasant receptionist with a quick check in, showed to the lifts but I did do a side trip to the very pelasant bar next door, still open for a late drink and whilst they were clearing away not one of the bar staff made me feel this was a problem and in the way, a very nice experience for an English hotel. The double room (sole occupancy) was sizeable very clean but small ensuite facilities modern. Location of this hotel of course is a plus, in the heart
of this Sussex resort and overlooking the channel

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank GaryCI
Reviewed January 11, 2013

It was nice and the staff are very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a lovely sea view room on the 4th floor with a large double bed (two singles put together well). I would recommend paying an extra £10 for the sea view room. We booked with booking.com but the direct rate was the same so it made no difference. The public areas are very nice, clean and welcoming and the xmas decorations were really tasteful. I have stayed in better 4 star hotels but for some reason seaside 4 star hotels in the UK seem to lack something that other 4 stars have. The room was nice but could do with investment. There were some small things that niggled me; eg there was no conditioner in the room and when we asked for some we were told there was none in the Hotel, we were staying just after xmas so maybe they just ran out. The room was too warm so we turned the rad off, this made no difference, there should be a thermostat in a room these days. The breakfast was very nice although the eggs benedict I ordered wasn’t great. We were told that there was a charge for parking but this wasn’t applied when we checked out. I do like this hotel and if I'm back in Eastbourne and can’t get a deal in the Grand then I will be back

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tieler
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I booked this for my parents 21/12/2012. They live in Eastbourne but I wanted to treat them. I had nothing but glowing reports regarding the Cavendish. They loved the library, they were given a room with beautiful bay windows and a fantastic view of the sea, you could see the pier and the band stand. It is based in a great location for the beach, shopping and to explore East Sussex. I would like to mention Roxanne who dealt with my enquiry over the phone regarding extras in room, her manner was very professional but the fact that she said remembered to say Happy Anniversary to my parents was an added touch. Also there was a scouser (sorry didnt get name) who was exceptional in ensuring my parents were served as there was a big party going on and it was hard to get to the bar but he ensured they were thoroughly looked after. So thank you both. They had a three course meal with waiter service again the service was exquisite as was the food. Although they only spent one night they felt like they had been there a week as they were fully looked after and had an awesome time. they were given the option to use the spa which looked brillant but they had such a nice time in hotel they didnt get the chance. Overall a fantastic visit to a meticulously hotel which I certaintly would have no hesitation in recommending and when I visit my parents in Eastbourne I will definatly pay a visit to the Cavendish. Thank you all for making their anniversary a supberb experience.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view and bay windows as really exceptional
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stay at the hotel with their four day Christmas package and thoroughly enjoyed the break. We took the twin executive room option and had a delightful room on the first floor, room 109. It was roomy with a lovely side view of the sea and the pier. We did however, find it very hot so had the radiators turned off.
The food over the whole stay was excellent and the staff friendly, efficient and courteus. My wife says it was the best Christmas lunch she had ever had. The wine was reasonably priced and as we had preordered it was ready on our table each mealtime.
A slight moan is about how uncomfortable the chairs are in the hotel; especially in the dining room and the main lounge.
We can thoroughly recommend this hotel and will be dining again there shortly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple