Tripadvisor
Eastbourne

“Shocking service, appalling staff attitude, lukewarm food.”

Toby Carvery Willingdon Drove
Reserve a Table
Bookatable
Ranked #164 of 467 Restaurants in Eastbourne
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Willingdon Drove. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings – including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Eastbourne’s favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Dreadful place, do not eat here! 2 members of staff need to learn manners. Food was dreadful. Avoid avoid avoid!

Date of visit: January 2020
GeneralManagerAA, Owner at Toby Carvery Willingdon Drove, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello there

We are sorry to see that your experience with us wasn't a great one on this occasion. We use all the feedback that is given to us to improve our overall standards for all of our guests. Thank you for helping us towards this.
We hope you will choose to visit us again soon.

The Toby Team

Write a reviewReviews (972)

Reviewed January 13, 2020

I was taken here today by a friend for a sandwich and a beer for lunch, the Guinness was fine as it should be , but the Cheese and Pickle sandwich was very sad . I was asked if I would like to upgrade to salad as well but declined . A small bowl of roast potatoes to share was offered and accepted . The sandwich was as basic as could be , 2 slices of 'Mothers Pride' type bread with some pickle spread on and a very small amount of grated cheese therein , I have had much better from a petrol station for 99p , ( this was £4.49 ). The potatoes all six of them, (£1 ) looked , felt and tasted like Sunday's leftovers. I felt too embarrassed to complain as my friend was paying, but rest assured I will not be gracing this place with my custom in the future .

Date of visit: January 2020
GeneralManagerAA, Owner at Toby Carvery Willingdon Drove, responded to this reviewResponded 6 days ago

Hi there

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are sorry that you had this experience with, rest assured we look into the points you have mentioned in order to better our selves for all of our guests.

Reviewed January 11, 2020 via mobile

Luckily we went at 5pm on a week day, at 6pm we noticed the restaurant filling up and people having to queue for food.
You can eat as much as you like and food is pretty good for a roast dinner.
I had toad in the hole which frankly was way too big. I couldn't have added more food from the carvery if I wanted too, there was no room in the plate and I could only manage half my food. My family piled their plates high and even went up for seconds.
All the drinks come in the same type of glass, so I was a little disappointed with my rum and coke just because the presentation of the glass it arrived in.

1  Thank Bluedogeyes
Reviewed January 7, 2020 via mobile

Had the misfortune to visit over the weekend. To start we were directed to a table by a pointing finger as could not be bothered to show us to our reserved table. The floor was covered in the remains of someones dinner. It took ages to get the attention of someone to clear the mess. We then had the issue of no gammon at 6:30 on a Saturday(15 year old will only eat gammon) so that also didn’t help. We told manager about the mess, and were basically told sorry, but get on with it, and had the same reaction from website. If I had slipped on the mess it could have been a different situation. My fiancee slipped on spilled gravy some time ago as the regime for cleaning up spillage is dire.

Date of visit: January 2020
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at Toby Carvery Willingdon Drove, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2020

Hello there

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback. We are sorry for your experience with us. We will look in to the issues you have mentioned in order to better our selves for all of our guests.

Reviewed January 6, 2020

we went there on sunday . the food was very good . freshly cooked vegetables. the beef was cook lovely . the staff were very nice and helpfull . and the huge Yorkshire puddings were very good .

Hi there

Thank you so much for this great feedback and very kind comments. We are so happy to see you enjoyed your visit to us. We hope to see you again soon.

Kindest Regards