“What a Grand Hotel”

The Grand Hotel Eastbourne
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I took my husband to the Grand for a long weekend. We arrived, in the heat, on the Friday and our car was parked for us and our luggage taken to our room. The check in process was very easy. The concierge staff were excellent. Nothing was too much trouble. I had already booked two restaurants, one for the Friday and one for the Saturday night. The concierge agreed that I had made a good choice for the Saturday but the Friday choice had mixed views so he suggested a taxi to the Marina for a small choice of places to eat. He was spot on. We had a great evening. They also arranged for a fan to be placed in the room as it was very hot indeed. The hotel is as its name suggests, Grand. Beautiful building. Lovely out door swimming pool. Two suggestions if I may. Please install some heat resistant blinds in some of the bedrooms. Our room 110 was exceedingly hot. When we had breakfast on the Sunday morning we were seated in the long room at the side of the restaurant. The heat was awful so blinds again would have done the trick.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,877)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We came to stay here with our 2 children of 3 years and 6 months as it is a family friendly hotel. Local friends had said that it was fantastic but we were hugely disappointed. Our booking asked for a steriliser and other amenities to be in the room. I phoned 2 days before to confirm. Yet on arrival non of what we'd requested were there. 3 phone calls later and a couple of items arrived. The next day I went to reception and asked for the remaining items. When we returned to the hotel that evening non of the items were there again. Eventually the camp bed arrived for our toddler and it was dirty. We moved some drawers to put the cot in its place only to find it filthy behind and someone's discarded bra. I waited 30 minutes for a mediocre coffee and had to ask 4 times for its whereabouts! The room was a decent size but that is about all I can say positively. Breakfast wasn't anything to br impressed by either...something we look forward to when we're away. When you book into a 5 star hotel and are charged high prices you expect a lot more than we got. I will not be recommending this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank JPPerspective
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My sister and I attended the Grand in Eastbourne in May this year for Afternoon Tea which, as it was a Christmas present for my sister, I really wanted to be special. However, I have to say that we were both somewhat disappointed with the experience.
When we arrived our coats were taken and we were shown to our table and given the tea menu from which we ordered. We waited around ten minutes before it arrived. I then looked for someone who could find me some sweeteners for my tea. However, there was not a soul in sight so I had to go into the main bar and ask the bar staff who very kindly got someone to get them for me. We did also ask for the drinks menu as we were thinking of having some champagne or cocktails and that was brought immediately, but unfortunately no-one came back to see what we would like.
We then had to wait about another 20 minutes for the food to arrive. It was very nicely arranged and looked wonderful. However, there were only four tiny sandwiches each and, there again, no-one came to check if everything was alright or if we would like some more. I have done several Afternoon Teas in various establishments and have always been able to have more or less unlimited quantities of sandwiches so was rather surprised at this.
When we were ready to order our drinks, again there was no-one to order from and I had to get up and find a member of staff to get the drinks waiter who, I have to say was very helpful. My sister wanted a cocktail but was not sure which one would not be too sweet and the waiter very kindly offered to bring a Marguerita for her to try and change it if it was not to her liking and in fact did wait at the table to make sure it was.
We then finished our tea and coffee and wanted some more. I had ordered the Ceylon tea and was told by the waitress that if it was not to my liking I could have something different so I opted for the Assam this time which I thought would be a bit stronger. My sister, who had had coffee originally, decided that she would like a pot of Assam as well. On this occasion we did manage to catch someone’s eye and called acrosss the room that we would like some more tea. We were not asked what we would like but were just brought a repeat of our original choice which the waiter had to take back and change for what we wanted.
Not once during the whole meal did anyone come across to ask if everything was alright and even when it was quite obvious that we had finished still no-one came across to check if there was anything else we required. We therefore literally retrieved our coats and saw ourselves out having felt totally ignored throughout the whole experience.
As this was a Christmas gift for my sister I really wanted her to feel rather special, hence my choice of The Grand, and I did think the quality of food and service would be top-class. I am sorry to say it did not live up to my expectations and I would be reluctant to recommend it to anyone else. The cakes and scones were quite delicious and the surroundings lovely but those are the only things positive I could say about it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Cas123England
Reviewed July 20, 2013

On the plus 'The Grand' is very well located on the Eastbourne and very clean. The common areas are all very relaxing.
On the negative and maybe more on an individual service level, our room was tired and in desperate need of updating. The mattress on the bed was extremely worn and very uncomfortable - a poor night's sleep at the price and certainly not what one expects in a '5 star'. The breakfast was extremely over salted probably in an attempt to disguise the fact that it was dried out, burnt and had been pre cooked several hours in advance.

Room Tip: Not sure what to advise - our mattress was so poor it was unbelieveable
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank spacehopper321
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel is five star rated and during our weeks stay we found that it did exactly what it said on the tin. From the efficient reception,door staff, cleaning staff, dining room and bar staff all played their parts in making sure that we had five star treatment and five star service. The rooms were spacious with all facilities. They were most comfortable and always clean with stocks of tea,coffee. and water replenished daily. The meals were of excellent quality. A good choice,expertly cooked and served by the most pleasant and helpful staff. The public facilities were also of a good standard and most comfortable in which to sit after a good meal. Entertainment was presented on some evenings and this was also of a good standard. Being hypercritical the only point that concerned me was the space of the car park which was often very crowded but as the hotel probably was the only one on the promenade with a car park I was happy with the car parking space available to me. In my opinion a superb holiday at a Serb hotel

Room Tip: Get a sea view
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kenneth N
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed with my 3 children for one night and it was fantastic! We loved the outdoor pool and being opposite the beach. The hotel is very child friendly, the children had mini robes for the poolside and warm milk and cookies as part of the turn down service.
There is a family dining but we opted to eat in the main restaurant and ate a half portion from the menu- food and service were excellent. We also enjoyed the childrens afternoon tea which was met with squeals of delight. Staff couldnt do enough to help you it was a wonderful stay and I highly recommend it. My children said it was the best place they have ever been!

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are worth the supplement
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah b
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just back from a soothing spa break at the grand. This package includes dinner, B and B, and one spa treatment. It was my first time in a five star hotel in the UK and it was fabulous. I felt like a celebrity. I was expecting to feel out of place but no quite the opposite, i felt very at home. I cannot wait to go back.
We drove up and gave them our keys and a man parked our car for us, and took our cases to our room. The room itself was full of chintz and fairly spacious, with a pull out sofa bed for our third guest. There was a turn down service at 7pm where the sofa bed was made up into a bed and our twin beds separated, by a very efficient maid who worked with great speed and skill. We all had our inclusive spa treatment, we had booked facials and then we lay by the pool in the sunshine. The facial was a moment of beauty and deep relaxation.
We had reserved a table for 8pm in the garden restaurant. The food was out of this world. My lamb dish was divine. After dinner we retired to the bar and enjoyed the resident band. The following morning after a big breakfast, we lay by the pool and enjoyed listening to the jazz band and watching the chefs prepare a barbeque. We had to leave late afternoon alas but I feel grander than grand i feel marvellous!
Room for improvement - we were pretty parched lying by the pool but did not know how to get a drink to enjoy by the pool. If waiter drinks service/bar is out of the question, perhaps a free water machine in the spa, or a machine full of cans or bottles would improve things?
Breakfast - we had to queue for our table at breakfast and to wait for a table at least ten minutes. There needed to be someone there at all times orchestrating the seating arrangements.
Bar - we sat down for a drink and we had to wait for at least half an hour for a drink. We only had the one because the first drink took so long, we could not bear the wait for a second!

Room Tip: good value soothing spa break - includes dinner, B and B, and one spa treatment.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends