“Great Service and Traditional Values”

The Grand Hotel Eastbourne
Ranked #9 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed June 5, 2008

In this day and age of 'contemorary', 'boutique' and 'hip', it is actually quite nice to get back to the basics of what a five star hotel should be about , i.e. personal service, grandeur, genteel standards (jacket and tie for dinner), staff dressed formally in morning coat or dinner jacket and chamber maids in black with white pinnies.

I booked the Grand for a family celebration (my mother's 80th) and 20 family members attended from 11yrs to 89yrs and it was perfect. Service was superb, food excellent and the most of the bedrooms were superb (my brother's standard room was a bit pokey, but all the others, and especially the family rooms we used were large and spacious). Our room was over looked the sea, on the third floor and it had great views (beware of rooms that face into the inner well of the hotel as these are quite dark).

The hotel is in good order and well maintained, despite its age and they have been remoddelling the front of the property. The slightly old fashioned decor does add charm, with quite a bit of draylon and chintz, which does date the hotel a bit. But it is in keeping with the property.

This is an old fashioned hotel with old-fashioned values, which personally I like. I like being greeted by the staff and I like all the staff knowing who I am and why I am there. Everyone was friendly, couteous and polite - which is probably the first time I have experienced this in a British hotel in many, many years.

A really great hotel ideal for a weekend away for all generations

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Swisst123

Reviewed May 12, 2008

The Grand Hotel in Eastbourne is a fine hotel. Its conveniently sits on the sea front and has free parking (handy if you come by car).

The staff are very friendly and helpful. They asked how we were, did we travel far etc. when we checked in. The room itself (deluxe room) was fairly large and very clean. The bathroom was nice (although a little small). The room furniture is from the 80's (not necessarily a bad thing). Dont expect large tv's, dvd players or mini bars. The bed was very comfortable.

The biggest plus for me was the Health Club which is a part of the hotel. It is superb. The indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam room were first class as were the changing rooms. Even though we went on a hot summer weekend the Health Club was virtually empty and we had the place to ourselves.

We did not eat in the restaurants or try the bar so i dont know how great they are but it all seemed very plush.

Enjoyed our stay and would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank san_uk
Reviewed March 31, 2008

We stayed at the Grand for a weekend break and absolutely loved the place!

It is a huge grand place, well kept and with imposing public rooms

We were upgraded to a big Junior Suite with sweeping seaviews from our bay windows, a big comfortable bed and massive bathroom with lots of dinky Molton Products to play with!

This is not the place for ultra modern fittings nor plasma TVs, but if you're looking for classic elegance then we would highly recommend it

Best of all is the genuine warm welcome and help from the staff

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank Karen7
Reviewed February 28, 2008

I stayed at the Grand whilst on business in Eastbourne, and chose the hotel because my collegues in Eastbourne said it was the stand out hotel in the area.

I can not agree more. Although it is not the modern boutique style hotel that seems to be the fashion, what it is, is all in the name Grand.

It is huge, with big high ceilings, large bedrooms and traditional decor. The view out to sea when i open my curtains in the morning was sensational.

The breakfast was a huge buffet that would cater for all.

Will be returning on my next trip to Eastbourne.

Stayed: January 2008
3  Thank flemLuton
Reviewed February 18, 2008

Oh dear, was I expecting something like this? The staff is the most helpful and attentive people I've ever seen. Its like to live in a perfect world were everybody smiles and welcomes you all the time.Specialy the front desk manager, I think her name was Betty, she was superb.

My boyfriend and me were automatically upgrade to a seaview room, as they explained It was the hotel policy to upgrade when possible. The breakfast is lovely. Plenty of fruits,english&continental b'fast and the Garden restaurant were is served just makes you feel like a princess with the huge chandeliers and the piano. Only fault I can say is that the rooms need update. Tvs and hairdryers are from the 80s. Besides that, is a dream

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lola_piera
Reviewed February 7, 2008

Stayed here in Feb 2008 and I wouldn't go back. The hotel is certainly grand and the reception area very impressive. The room however was very dated, the mattresses should have been replaced years ago, and the only concession to this century was the broadband connection (additionally charged) - but even that was awkward to use as there wasn't a proper desk, and also there was no place to plug in the lap-top unless you unplugged the table lamp.

It was nice to be greeted at the door and have our bags brought in for us, however service elsewhere was lax - it isn't pleasant to see dirty room service trays laying in the corridors waiting to be collected for up to 12 hours.

Breakfast was excellent, but other meals were frankly disappointing. The menu itself could easily have been written in 1985.

This place has potential but it definitely is not five star.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
5  Thank brandenburg5
Reviewed February 3, 2008

After a lousy Christmas and a bad health January, this was the perfect way to be lifted out of the gloom. From the moment we arrived we were looked after and made to feel very welcome. The hotel was very busy due to a Mozart weekend but this just added to the buzz. We loved the palm court style 1920s string quartet and the dancing on the Friday and Saturday. We aren't ancient but we aren't young either and this made us feel like we could have fun again. Food terrific, service terrific and the room large, comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple