“Nice location”
Review of Oban

Oban
Ranked #20 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Nice hotel in a brilliant location near to the pier.

Breakfast was at no extra cost and was really yummy.

Staff were nice and very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded July 1, 2012

Dear Vicky,
Thank you for your comments.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again sometime
With our kindest regards.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is my second visit to the Oban, my last being in 2008 and I was not surprised to see how well this little hotel is doing.
There seemed to have been quite a lot of redecorating done and it was very cheerful and comfy.
The attitude of the hard-working staff is something I remember from my last visit, really pleasant, helpful and very adaptable!
My room was very nicely decorated and spacious and everything clean and tidy- with a lovely sea view, wonderful! The food was delicious too. My friends and I had a lovely time - thank you!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Travelgirl2222
Customerservices_obn, General Manager at Oban, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Dear Travelgirl, I think I speak for all of us at the Oban when I say thank you for your kind words. We believe that you and your group had an enormous amount to play in ensuring the week by so well ! You all knew how to enjoy yourselves and made it easy for us. We are delighted that you noticed the improvements that have been made and are confident that during your next visit you will again notice significant changes. Thank you for your time in writing your review and we look forward to seeing you again sometime in the future. Kind Regards

Reviewed June 12, 2012

We visited during the Jubilee holidays (4days) and enjoyed our stay so much. I believe that it's necessary to praise all the staff who were courteous and helpful as we genuinely felt that they went out of their way to make our visit so enjoyable. The hotel has a great location, clean an comfortable rooms & a great breakfast. My mother who is a senior enjoyed her stay at the hotel and we enjoyed the celebrations too. Definitely will go back to stay.

Room Tip: Try to ask for one of their sea facing rooms (if available) . Superb views!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Fred26London
Customerservices_obn, Guest Relations Manager at Oban, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Dear Fred, We thank you kindly for your comments. It was a great weekend and it seemed that everyone got into the spirit of things and enjoyed the Jubilee. We were glad that you and your mother chose to celebrate the weekend with us and equally pleased you would like to return. Myself and our staff would be only too pleased to see you and your mother again so please do not hesitate to contact us. Please pass on our regards to your mother, Kind regards

Reviewed May 20, 2012

My parents and I have just returned from a week booked via Bowens. Vin and his young staff were friendly and welcoming. The hotel was efficiently run, clean, with good quality fresh food, well cooked.

As you are in the process of refurbishing I hope you find my next comments helpful. Mom was disappointed with their room as it was on the back of the hotel and there were no nice views, and due to the weather the room seemed very dark. (However that was more to do with us booking late than you being able to conjure up another room with a sea view) Also, as this was a family room more storage space would have been useful. As for myself I did find the mattress uncomfortable in the twin bedded room. Again as each room is decorated maybe this is something which can be addressed at that time, with some nice light bright furniture and soft furnishings for those rainy days in Eastbourne.

After reading some of the comments other guests have made I am not sure what it is people expect. It they want 5 star luxury in big swanky hotel then maybe that is where they should go. If they have had issues with staff, and not having problems resolved, or feel staff are rude. maybe they should question their own attitude. We only found staff to helpful, pleasant and polite.

I would however like to say that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and that we would most definitely come back. The hotel is right opposite the sea and 10-15 minutes walk to the centre. You provided us with entertainment most nights. ( I particularly enjoyed the keyboard player from Dexie's Midnight Runner's. A proper musician who played keyboards brilliantly with a good range of songs for young and old) Your hotel is great value for money, and as said at the beginning. Welcoming and efficiently run. So many thanks for making our stay one that both my parents and I enjoyed.

Julie

Room Tip: Front rooms with sea vew lovely
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Julie T
Customerservices_obn, General Manager at Oban, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

Dear Julie, Thank you for taking the time in writing your review. We are glad that we made such an impression on you and your mother and are pleased that you went away with such a positive feeling. Like you we do feel we provide value for money and the services and facilities within the hotel certainly reflect this. We appreciate constructive criticism and will certainly take on board your comments. We hope that you will pay us a visit again sometime in the future but until then take care and thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

This is the fourth year that we have visited The Oban Hotel, using it as our base to attend the Bible By The Beach conference in Eastbourne. We come as a group from our church, thirty plus of us, and Vin and his staff have never failed to look after us superbly. The rooms are spotless, tidy, and very comfortable. Tea and coffee making facilities in all bedrooms, topped up every day. Non-obtrusive room servicing to the highest standard. Well serviced and looked after bathroom, flat screen TVs, and the rooms at front of the hotel have a lovely view of the sea front and beach. Breakfast spot on, with masses of choice. Very well cooked and presented by staff that just can't do enough - always ready to go the extra mile. Our large group always has different requests, but Vin, Georgie and the rest of the staff always come up trumps, and always with a smile. Most of our group also had lunch in the hotel during the long weekend we were there, and it was as equally well cooked and presented as breakfast, and Vin is always happy to offer a varied menu, with great service. Relaxing in the evening in a beautiful comfy lounge, full of arm chairs, next to the well stocked, and reasonably priced, bar, found most of our group enjoying a party atmosphere and not wanting to venture outside of the hotel. Eleven out of ten for everything, and being treated as an old friend on arrival, is the icing on the top of a very big cake. Can't wait until our next visit.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Customerservices_obn, General Manager at Oban, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2012

Dear Les, thank you for taking the time in expressing your views. I speak for us all at the Oban when I say it was great to see you all again. We are all delighted you enjoyed yourselves and pleased that we made your stay another memorable one. I have booked your group in again for next year and being the 5th occasion, we'll make sure it’s definitely something special.
Please pass on our warmest wishes to the rest of the group and until next year, take care.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

Just returned from a 5 day stay in this hotel and couldn't have been more satisfied. Eight of us ladies and not 1 single complaint. Yes the single rooms are small but they are fully equipped and really how much time do you spend in your room while on holiday? The food was excellent and plentiful (sausages were very nice indeed) and served with a smile by the lovely Georgina.
The weather for our stay was really bad but Vin - proprieter arranged some entertainment for us which was great.
Overall a great stay and we are hoping to go again later in the year for Turkey & Tinsel
Gloria (Wedgwood)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Customerservices_obn, General Manager at Oban, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Dear Gloria, It was lovely to see you all again and thank you for your review. You all certainly know how to enjoy yourselves and we were glad to have shared the week with you. We appreciate your comments and we know how important your holiday is and endeavour to ensure everyone is satisfied, if not more. Well I think I speak for us all when I say we're looking forward to your next visit and given the banter that was exchanged between us all, i'm sure it will be a memorable one. Please say hello to everyone that visited and keep in touch

Reviewed April 16, 2012

I don't know why this hotel is getting negative reviews or why it is ranked lower than the Eastbourne Travelodge, it's clearly miles better than the Travelodge (well unless you prefer your hotels to have dirty rooms, no reception staff and flooded bathrooms). We stay in Eastbourne every year for the tennis and last year decided to try a new hotel after the aformentioned Travelodge had gone very speedily downhill. We were reccommened the Oban and there was nothing wrong with it at all - in fact there was a lot right with it. The staff were friendly, the room was clean and spacious, the breakfast was yummy (loved the porridge) and the bar was cosy. The location was very handy for the tennis, Devonshire Park is literally just up the road. I'll be staying at the Oban again in a couple of months - just hope the weather is nicer this year so we can make sure of the outside terrace!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank KathykinsBrighton

Dear Kathykins, thank you for taking the time to write your review. As you no doubt know we have an considerable amount of guests that visit us each year and we always endeavour to please. There has been a number of improvements to the hotel over recent times none more so than over recent months. We know we can do more and over the next year or so guests will certainly notice the difference. I certainly look forward to seeing you again during the tennis season. If i can be of help with your reservation then do let me know. Kind Regards