“Efficient and polite service and a great view”

Best Western Lansdowne Hotel
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
West Sussex
“Efficient and polite service and a great view”
Reviewed July 23, 2010

This is the second time that I stayed in this hotel and I could see improvements. The lady on reception was polite, helpful and had arranged an early check in for us, without fuss.
We were in the same room as last time (by co incidence) and it was a family room with a seaview. The room was lovely, clean, spacious and a great view. If you are travelling with teenage children who require their own room, there is a connecting twin if needed, although it overlooks the back of the hotel, but convenient none the less. The bathroom is begining to look tired, but fit for purpose. Beds and room furniture comfortable. The breakfast was an improvement on our our last stay, with good fruit selection, good hot choice and polite and efficient service. The one let down is that the croissant that my wife had was stale.
We did not have dinner this time.
We had a good stay and I hope to stay again, this time for longer.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank BurgessWestSussex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
nottingham
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Although we had only booked at this hotel for one night we were given a sea view room,
this room was spacious and well equipped and we would have liked to stay there longer.
The staff were very friendly. Although we did not eat in the restaurant of the hotel in the evening we did look at the menu and it seemed very good. We would glady return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Southern Spain
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Our third-floor 'Classic' room was rather grim - small and badly furnished with a bathroom that was probably 'state-of-the-art' in the late 1950s - apparently, the hotel is in the process of 'up-grading' them . . . not a moment too soon! The decor throughout the public rooms is pretentious, and all rather naff - the imitation fires deserves a special mention . . . as do the swirling multi-patterned carpets. It's all looks a bit like a nursing home - an impression (to be brutally frank) that is reinforced by the average age of the guests. Service throughout our stay was (at best) amateur and (at worst) non-existent. And, none of this comes cheap - at a greatly reduced rate, we paid over £100 a night. Avoid!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
East Anglia
Reviewed June 9, 2010

We had no trouble getting a seaview room here on the spur of the moment. There was nowhere to park outside so we were offered a garage at £5 per night. The room was small but comfortable, a 4' 6" bed, small old style TV ( but with plenty of channels) decent sized ensuite with a bath and a fab view of the sea. The staff were extremely helpful and polite, it was obvious that many guests came back year after year. The hotel has lovely sunny lounges with sea views and plenty of comfortable sofas. The breakfast -buffet style - was excellent. The £22.50 evening meal wasn;t brilliant, very small portions,bland basic food, very poor salad with no dressing, but suppose they are catering for older people with smaller apetites ! Suggest eating out in the town as we did on other evenings. Other than that we had a lovely time and would go back again,

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dorset, England
Reviewed May 5, 2010

I spent 2 nights at the Lansdowne and absolutely loved it. It is a charming period English hotel, clean and comfortable and full of character. There are so many different places to sit and relax, to read a newspaper, drink tea or watch the world go by. The lounges are beautiful. What a treat to sit in such lovely surroundings!
The hotel is a pleasant 10/15 minute walk to the main shops. There are local shops and restaurants a few minutes walk away.
I had a single sea-facing room which was not huge but perfectly adequate. I was able to sit on a comfortable armchair and look out to sea with uninterrupted views. I had an old style tv (which I actually prefer to flatscreen) with extra channels including Film4. I also had a bathroom with a bath which is increasingly rare in hotels these days.
Breakfast was a very comprehensive and delicious buffet. Only tea/coffee/toast were brought by the waitress. I stayed on a bank holiday weekend but reading previous reviews I wonder if maybe in quieter periods the buffet is not available?
All the staff I encountered were polite and pleasant. It is clearly a very well managed hotel and I will certainly stay here again if I come to Eastbourne.
Oh, and as an added bonus there is free wi-fi throughout the hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
London
Reviewed May 2, 2010

The best thing about the entire stay was the breakfast, it was not great but it was OK. The bar staff and porters were really helpful too, but EVERYTHING else was shockingly disappointing.

I moved rooms 3 times - broken windows, mould, ripped sheets, disgustingly dirty bathrooms, showers not working - just awful. I also had a meal in their laughingly acclaimed restaurant! The wine was corked, but then I had to pay for that before I had even tasted one drop or ordered my food! The sirloin steak was almost all gristle and I had to saw into it, the pepper sauce was ridiculously sweet and had no pepper but a think layer of skin and was swimming in fat, the vegetables were so over cooked the potatoes were actually black. I am currently writing this with severe stomach ache!!

I will not be coming back and I am trying to find a way of complaining to Best Western as I am so shocked with the terrible hotel and shocking service.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank Vixter73London
pinner
Reviewed April 18, 2010

I have just returned from a 4 night break with my mother and cousin. The sea front location so close to Beachy Head is superb and allowed us to visit the top of Beachy Head by car, bus and by foot although my mother being 87 did not manage the walking!
We all wanted single rooms and were delighted by the ample size of each one, all sea facing. The Lansdowne even manged to cater for two non smokers and one smoker by providing a room in a 'special' area that allowed smoking and being situated next door I would have been totally unaware of the smoking rooms if I had not known!
There are a wide range of lounges on the ground floor all cosy and relaxing. Some large overlooking the sea and some small individual ones which I simply loved.
The food choice is ample and the service throughout was impeccable.
Although there were a mixture of ages staying I would agree with the previous reviewer by saying it is not for a group of teenagers.
I could not fault the hotel and will not hesitate in staying here again in the near future.

Stayed April 2010