“Pleasing relaxing break”

Best Western Lansdowne Hotel
Ranked #9 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed March 13, 2010

I stayed here from for 6 days in March. This family run hotel could put the large chains to shame. Everything was thouroughly enjoyable. It was clean the staff were freindly and courteous at all times and the food was excellent. All in all the hotel was excellent for the price. I will certainly return and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)

Reviewed February 13, 2010

I arrived at the Landsdowne on a spur of the minute trip. £40.00 for an en-suite room with sea view was a pretty good deal I thought and about a 20 minute walk from the station.

The receptionist was friendly and professional and I was given a key to a first floor room. It was fairly small but clean and well-presented. Some reviews mention "chintz" - would say more "faded glamour" - other reviews also mention hot rooms - yes, but not overly so - thin walls? Yes, very but given the fact that it is a listed building as mentioned, understandable. Flatscreen TV was disappointing; not a good picture on any of the channels. Bathroom very clean and modern.

Breakfast was slightly disappointing. There were laminated cards on the table stating that there was a "hot buffet" where you could help yourselves. Excellent I thought but this clearly wasn't the case as people were having their food brought to them. I had to wait for around ten minutes before having to ask another waitress about ordering breakfast - not a very personal service and it all felt a little awkward. I was brought a rather small breakfast of half a slice of fried bread, half a grilled tomato, two (clearly microwaved) rashers of bacon, one egg and one, very cheap tasting sausage. No beans, hash browns, mushrooms or toast. I did see toast being brought to other tables but none to mine. The continental items were ok, except the croissants which were of poor quality.

I stayed a further night, also unexpectedly, having checked out and then checked back in again by the same girl who didn't recognise me - a big hotel and a lot of guests but it would have been nice for my continuation of custom to be appreciated or recognised but understandable and was all very polite again (the tariff was also another £10.00 on top totalling £50.00 but as this was a Friday, also understandable). The next room was a lot more in the "chintz" style - this one appears not to have been updated I think as this had old pictures & very small and aging portable tv, again with poor reception

All in all, no serious problems but a fair amount of niggles which would probably prevent me choosing the Landsdowne again. Good value for money but there is an enormous amount of competition in the area so I don't think it would be too difficult to find something better for around the same price. That said, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I had to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I have been staying at the Lansdowne on and off for more than twenty years and it has been in the same family for generations. The proprietor, Mr. Edward Lewis, watches over the management with great care and is always attentive to his guests. His management staff are excellent. It is a pleasure to return. The restaurant is excellent and the wine list reasonably-priced and features some excellent French clarets I am surprised to read some of the negative reviews on this site and can only think that they are rather strange people who have written them. The hotel is well-known in the area as a place for business and other gatherings and I would recommend it to anyone who is civilised!

The spacious lounges are a great feature of the hotel: wonderful for taking afternoon tea or just relaxing!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2009

We stayed at this hotel during a walking (without the aid of zimmer frames) weekend on the South Downs. The service of the staff was superb and the evening meal was outstanding; although the rooms may be a bit on the small side the Lansdowne has many different lounge areas to relax in. Don't be put off by the ageist remarks of other reviewers, there was a cross section of people staying at this hotel, including visitors from other European countries. People booking hotels in Eastbourne should know that the town in general targets a very specific type of market, and it does it very well. If you want a hen or stag party stay in brash Brighton and if you want something to complain about stay in horrible Hastings!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Stayed here for two nights in a seaview and was not really impressed. Rooms are very small and when its hot the rooms are boiling, the only way to cool them is to have the windows fully opened which means it gets very noisy. On the plus side staff are friendly and helpful and breakfast is ok, overall it not very good value for £110 per night.

This is also definatly not a hotel for younger people as the average guest age must be 75-80!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2009

My husband and I still chuckle that my dad booked this hotel for us and members of our family for the two nights before and after our May wedding. It was an absolute disaster...we arrived to the smell of kippers and the sight of 10 zimmer frames lined up along the walls. My mother-in-law needed to park her car in the hotel carpark and was given a key and told by the disinterested reception staff to make her own way there. The carpark was under the hotel and had no lighting so after fumbling about in the dark for 10mins she came back and asked for help which was very begrudgingly given to her.
My bridesmaids' twin room was like something out of a '40s boarding house. Overheated, chintzy, miniscule beds and a poky bathroom might just have been acceptable if they weren't paying £80 each to share the horrible place.
The hotel didn't have a 'bridal suite' but they gave my husband and I a big chintzy seafront room - views were nice but the very elderly guests coughing all night through the paper-thin walls put paid to wedding excitement. The tiny little bathroom had slip-mats and safety rails everywhere - not particularly sexy. My mother-in-law's room was basically a cupboard, just enough room to climb in and out of the child-size bed.
When we arrived home from the wedding at about 2am, still dressed in our finery, we were greeted by a very angry night receptionist who tutted about the time as he let us in. Didn't ask us how the day had gone or congratulate us!
There are plenty of lounge rooms downstairs but every one featured between 5-10 walking sticks and zimmer frames and the kind of ugly high-backed, grease-stained chairs Father Jack from the comedy show 'Father Ted' would have been content in.
The chintzy, old-fashioned, swirly-carpet decor of the place would have been passable - it was the rudeness and terrible service that makes this an awful place to stay. The cost is unbelievable for what you get - I don't know how they get away with it! Please don't stay here - they made my wedding night so awful, I don't want them to keep taking people's money!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank sussexbean
clairepj, Sales Manager at Best Western Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2009

We were more than a little surprised to read the comments placed on the review site concerning your visit to this hotel in 2007!

The Best Western Lansdowne Hotel is marketed as a traditional, family run hotel and the rooms are decorated accordingly. We do not publicise ourselves as modern or trendy, as can clearly be seen from our various websites. With regard to the comment concerning noise from other guests, the building is 150 years old and therefore not purpose built and the walls will inevitably be rather thin.

With regard to the poor service you received at the time, we obviously belatedly offer our apologies. However, in the two years since your visit, there has been major refurbishment of the entire hotel and an enormous change in staff.

We must admit that we do not understand why you did not make your feelings known to the hotel management at the time and why, after two years have passed, you chose to comment on a review site.

Reviewed October 30, 2008

I arrived and struggled to get into the building the doors didn't revolve and were too small for the suitcase.
I was hit by the smell of cabbage. The dining room at 6.30 was full of old people. Staff on reception weren't great a bit slow didn't give the confidence that they knew what they were doing. The rooms are small and very dated must be 30 years since they were decorated. I was surprised that in September the heating was not on in the room a call to reception solved the situation.
No internet access and digital tv.
Would I stay there again, definitely not.

• Stayed: September 2008