“If you are under 65 you're too young fot this place”

Best Western Lansdowne Hotel
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed October 30, 2008

I arrived and struggled to get into the building the doors didn't revolve and were too small for the suitcase.
I was hit by the smell of cabbage. The dining room at 6.30 was full of old people. Staff on reception weren't great a bit slow didn't give the confidence that they knew what they were doing. The rooms are small and very dated must be 30 years since they were decorated. I was surprised that in September the heating was not on in the room a call to reception solved the situation.
No internet access and digital tv.
Would I stay there again, definitely not.

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank radform

Reviewed October 22, 2008

My wife and I selected this hotel from previous reviews and we were not disappointed. Although three star, it had all the trappings of a four star in quality and service. Several hotels were fully booked with Rotary guests. The Landsdowne was similar, but non-rotarians were carefully shepherded away to other parts of the dining area and privacy was maintained. We found the staff particularly helpful anbd considerate from reception room staff and waiters; everyone was dedicated to ensuring that our stay was comfortable. Our room was spotlessly clean with an inland view, and I think when we return we shall opt for the sea view as the outlook was rather dingy, but 'pays yer money...'
We shall definitely be returning and commend this hotel as one for quality of service and value for money.

John & Josie: Harefield, London

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank Pinafore
Reviewed October 5, 2008

A professional well-run hotel at the quieter more scenic end of town. Previous reviewers criticised the inland bedrooms and said how much better the sea view rooms were. But I deliberately chose an inland room as it was away from the road – I’m very noise-sensitive! Besides the tranquillity, an added bonus was that the room kept cooler, not getting a lot of sun, and was a good temperature to sleep in. (My companion had a lovely light spacious sea-view room but it was decidedly warmer.) The bed was very comfortable, I find a lot of hotel beds too hard but this one wasn’t. The room also had great details like blackout curtain linings, a variety of lighting, plenty of cupboard space, and attractive old furniture. The bathroom was a good size, very clean and well fitted out. The housekeeping was excellent and the hotel had a generally high standard of service. The lounges were gracious, with elegant decor with lots of comfortable furniture. I would be happy to return.

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank unicorn84
Reviewed September 5, 2008

Had three nights at this very old fashioned traditional hotel, booking the family room at the top of the first flight of stairs. Breakfast was good but you definately need to time this as the more guests in the room, the slooower it arrives! Was there when there was an England soccer match on (satellite) but the only place was the very small packed bar area so gave it a miss. This hotel could do with a swimming pool as the beach is shingles. Probably suits an older clientelle although the walk to the town (pier there as well) was a good brisk 10 minutes. Wouldn't put anyone off but I'd be surprised if there aren't better alternatives.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Dragonsbreath
Reviewed August 28, 2008

I decided to up-grade to a sea view room, following the comments made on trip advisor; about 3 weeks before our stay (this did add another £60.00 for 3 nights to the total bill), I am glad I did as the room was very bright - I think the rear rooms could seem quite dingy. However I did expect the room to be bigger than it was. In addition the bed/mattress was rather soft and seemed unusually small for a double - it did not accommodate my 6’4” partner very well!
Shower was poor pressure/quite weak and room was a touch warm at night.
I can comment on the standard of cleanliness; - very good and I thought ‘house keeping’ was of a high standard. Although the hotel is an old traditional building; it was obviously cared for and maintenance was of a good standard.
Cooked breakfast, really good and service was polite and efficient.
Overall a good stay and I would return; but I did think it was a touch over priced due to size of room/comments above.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank piggytailchick
Reviewed July 29, 2008

This was a last minute booking to visit the seaside with husband, toddler, baby and my parents. Hotel availability was thus limited, especially as July and start of school holidays.

First room allocated had bird poo all over the window so asked if we could change. Was immediately given free upgrade to large partial seaview family room. Inland rooms overlook bins/scaffolding/garages so a seaview room is a must. If none left, go somewhere else!

The rooms are old fashioned with the odd bit of ripped wallpaper etc but not too bad for a 3 star. Bathrooms very basic though and shower water luke warm. The room seemed visibly clean but musty feel from old ripped upholstery on 'old person home' chairs and headboard. Carpet needed deep clean and felt unpleasant to the touch when walking with bare feet.

Parking is free on street infront of hotel and no problem getting a space, even in July.

Cooked breakfast excellent but buffet was limited - just bit of cereal, the odd yogurt, tinned grapefruit and prunes and one type of croissant.

All staff encountered were pleasant, professional and helpful.

A few public areas do resemble a 'bygone era' (reception, the lift, the area near our room but not my parents') but other parts more 'retirement home' with decor and furnishings too plain and spare to resemble the former. A lot of space though and plenty of places to sit. Most people who stay here are over 60 and my parents certainly liked it! My toddler also enjoyed having so many friendly people around to talk to him and it all felt quite relaxed.

If you are taking small children btw, no fridges in the rooms but milk available, just ask at the bar. Standard rooms have plenty of room for a cot and family rooms are large with 1 double and 1 single bed. The pier is 5 to 10 mins walk, beach is mainly pebble.

For our purposes, the hotel was fine (I've give it a 4 due to the upgrade, otherwise 3) and we had a great w/e. Eastbourne is a nice place to visit if the weather is good. Beachy Head and a drive round the coast recommended. Also, Cafe Belge on the seafront (fantastic Moules, great selection of Belgian beers, exceptional service).
As an alternative if you're still researching hotels, I'd maybe suggest the Cavendish as public areas looked better and closer to the centre. Or the Grand next door if funds allow.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Couldn't extend our stay at The Grand for another night due to lack of availability - thank goodness! For £40 less we got a suite on the 3rd floor front so we could watch the boats from bed. As opposed to The Grand where we were stuck in a pokey attic-type room at the back overlooking houses and a homeless refuge. The room at The Lansdowne is well-appointed, large and though old-fashioned in decor, very comfortable. Except for the heat! Others have mentioned this and I would concur - desperately needs air conditioning in the summer months (and this wasn't a particularly hot weekend). However, as a setting for the romantic getaway we wanted it was excellent. We only used room service and in the evening the steak and club sandwich we ordered were very good and very reasonably priced for a 3* hotel. Breakfast was a little less slick - late and forgot to provide a second cup and plate, but still better than their 5* competitor next door. Overall, can't believe this is only a 3* as the service was great and the facilities in the room excellent. Only 1 big negative apart from the lack of air conditioning and that's the fact that there is only on-street parking - a big issue if you're not quick enough in the morning to find a spot and would probably be impossible in July/August.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple