“Myrtle Wendover”

Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Wendover, United Kingdom
“Myrtle Wendover”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Old fashioned large seafront hotel. Able to take our dog but hotel not at all dog friendly. We were put in a corridor with a few chairs and a low table to eat breakfast as dog not allowed in even the bar area or other lounges which were a long way from the kitchens. We could not park car nearby so couldn't leave dog in car either while we ate. Made us feel like outcasts. Staff were very friendly though ans accommodating otherwise and did move us to another room when found original one too cold (weather was very cold and wind fierce).

Room Tip: Room at the back of the hotel was cold.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
clairepj, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
I am sorry that you felt our hotel was not dog friendly. We do indeed welcome dogs to the hotel but, in consideration to the majority of our guests, we feel it is not appropriate to allow dogs in any areas of the hotel where people may be eating.

I am sorry if you feel this is unreasonable but I am sure you will appreciate that we must cater for all our guests and not just a minority.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you, and your dog, back on some other occasion.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

booked the day before, really quick and easy as was the check in, booked a single room was a really nice size even for the single , bathrooom was a good size large desk/table to work at , dinner and breakfast was good quaility , the hotel is right on the sea front so out the hotel door cross the road and your on the beach for a stroll and blow the cobwebs away , only down size is on road parking although lockup garages are available at extra cost

Room Tip: sea views are nice i stayed on the back so as not to get to much road noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
clairepj, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for posting such a positive review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you appreciated every aspect of the hotel, and do hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

we stayed here in January for 4 nights .lovely hotel and staff.Dog friendly ,which is great.nice,very clean room overlooking the sea,good breakfast.wished we could have tried restaurant,but our dog does not like being left alone.food looked great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
clairepj, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your winter break at the hotel in January, and would like to thank you for your very kind comments concerning the hotel and its staff.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed as part of a groupon offer which I upgraded to a family room for myself, mum and son. The room was huge, perfect for a 2 year old! We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms clean and the breakfast amazing! Thank you for a wonderful stay :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Howes32
clairepj, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
I am very glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us as part of the Groupon offer, and would like to thank you for your very kind comments. It is nice to know when we get it right!
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I went there with my partner for a well deserved w.e break after buying a deal on Groupon in Feb 2013.
Room was clean and bathroom was spotless. Only thing would be the carpet which felt a bit granny-like, but then again I have a thing against carpet in general!
Wall were a bit on the thin side and you could hear people coming and going, and the lift. But it was all quiet by the time we went to bed.
Breakfast was well stocked and tasty.
Staff was really friendly and went out their way to help us out after I got a very bad case of food poisoning on the last night - not from food at their restaurant I must add.
Very good location - about 1hr walk from Beachy Head taking it reaaaally slowly, 5-10min walking from Eastbourne Pier and same for town center.
Despite all the positive, if not for the Groupon deal, I wouldn't go back as the rooms are a touch expensive. I put a 5 star rating for value considering I had the Groupon deal - otherwise I would give it a 3-star rating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
clairepj, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for the very positive comments you made in your recent review of this hotel.

I was sorry that you were very unwell on the last evening of your stay but glad that you appreciated the help given by our staff – and particularly relieved that it was not caused by food from our restaurant!

I do hope that we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel on some other occasion.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The hotel itself was OK. Dinner in the bar and breakfast were fine. However, despite the hotel being only half full, they gave me a room - 129 - on the stairs, adjoining the Ladies' toilets and opposite the cleaner's cupboard. Quiet it was not. The walls are paper thin, so I had the joy of sharing everyone's trip to the loo; people stomping up and down the stairs and the cleaner clanking round with buckets mops and hoovers from 6am. Didn't need my alarm call... Why give anyone that room, unless every other one is occupied? Was booked in by work for a business trip. Hope to never stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013
Firstly I am glad that you enjoyed both breakfast and dinner whilst staying at this hotel. However, I am very sorry that you were disappointed with the room allocated to you and found it to be rather noisy.

We have taken all your comments on board and thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Beverley
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had to visit Eastbourne at short notice. Reservation staff at the Lansdowne very helpful and found us the best rate at the best price. Reception staff, as all the staff, always efficient, friendly and helpful. Our reservation was upgraded to a room with a sea view. We had a large pleasant room overlooking the promenade. Good chairs and plenty of storage space room pleasantly furnished, if rather dated. All very promising but there are problems. The energy saving lights in the room were pathetic; there was simply not sufficient light to read by in the evening. I have never stayed in a place with such creaky floor boards. The shower pressure was poor. The Wi Fi connection was slow and erratic. The breakfasts were nothing to get excited about.

It is difficult to rate the hotel. Given the price we payed and the very pleasant staff and generally pleasant atmosphere of the place I give it a generous four stars. But if does need some money spending on it and refurbishment and if I had been paying full price I think I would have rated it three stars.

Room Tip: Contact hotel directly when making a reservation; price cheaper than web sites such as Lastminute.co...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
clairepj, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Firstly, I wish to thank you for the very kind comments you made concerning the staff being efficient, friendly and helpful. This is certainly the standard of service we would wish to provide, and I am also glad that you were pleased with your room.

With regard to the energy saving bulbs not providing enough light for you to read by, we have noted this and will consider the matter further. We have also noted your comments concerning the shower pressure and the WI Fi connection.

This hotel has been in the same family ownership for 100 years and the building is therefore rather old which does bring with it inevitable problems such as creaky floorboards.

I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back on some other occasion.