“"What a nice place to chill"”

Best Western York House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights B&B with an evening dinner as part of a deal through Amazon. Late March 2014. We were not sure what to expect as we had not used this chain of hotel before.

Pleasantly suprised on arrival how good it was. Very clean, overlooking Eastbourne shingle beach, great view from our room (104, first floor, front of hotel).

Breakfast was buffet style, with waiter service for tea and coffee. Staff on duty seemed pleasant and helpful both in the restaurant and reception. Evening dinner and breakfast menu was first class, we did not leave either sitting feeling we could have eaten another bite!

The hotel has an indoor swimming pool,(villa size) we checked it out a couple of times to see how busy it got, mostly empty. Although we didnt use it ourselves this vist, it will be on our radar for the next time.

Our room was spacious, clean, comfy bed, lovely window overlooking the seafront, which you can open up to allow you an unobstructed chill out view of the sea, sitting on the window chairs provided, (our room is an upgrade to a superior room for £25 per night). wonderful.

The hotel does not have a car park, therefore parking is on the small but busy coast road outside the hotel. Parking may be an issue in the busy season, we parked up close to the hotel and walked everywhere from there, not using our car again until we left. so parking on return from a day trip was not a problem for us this trip, however, be prepared to hunt for a car parking space at busy periods. The hotel does offer a £1 rate for 24 hours of parking time (with a hotel permit) which is good value.

Fantastic promenade outside the hotel you can use to go East or West to explore the coast. We walked miles both directions and loved it.

We would certainly return to this hotel.

ARC7

Room Tip: front of hotel, first floor if you can, better window views of the sea.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank ARC7
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to see you had a good time with us in one of our Superior rooms and as you say they are definitely worth the upgrade charge.

Thank you also for your comments on my staff and our breakfast and Dinner and am pleased you found your first experience with a Best Western worth it..

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,168)

Reviewed March 26, 2014

This was the second time we've stayed at the Best Weston Hotel in Eastbourne. We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful. We paid extra to have a sea view but got upgraded to a family room. Bed was very soft and comfortable and the room we had (154) was clean, spacious and comfortable. We did find the parking a problem, especially when we arrived home late evening, as all the spaces had been taken. Overall, would recommend this hotel and will definitely go back again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you for your review.

Glad to see you back and especially good to see you had a good time again with us.

Also good to see you appreciated the upgrade and thank you for your comments reference my staff.

We have been a victim of our own success with parking later on in the evening as we have been so busy since mid January and as you may have noted practically every car on the seafront was one of our guests.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We booked our special anniversary break again at York House. We were thrilled to have an upgrade which meant, fruit, drinks and top quality biscuits left in our room. Slippers and robes too, it really felt 5 star. It was a very busy weekend with lots of guests and we knew we were lucky to reserve a room at short notice. The breakfast was scrumptious especially the make your own muesli with Belgian chocolate chips which could be added. Home made marmalade and jam and local fruit juice also added an extra dimension to the breakfast. Thank you to Mark and the staff for making our stay very special yet again!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

I am glad we could accommodate you at short notice and welcomed you back for your special occasion.

Thank you for your comments reference our Breakfast and my staff and, yes, the Belgian Chocolate callettes are certainly a great treat and our local 'juice' is certainly much better than our previous!

Look forward to seeing you again and drop me a line the next time you are around.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Had a great two night stay package. Food was wonderful,staff brilliant, hotel great. Room was a little small but cannot fault it for the price. Just what we needed. Baby loved the pool and the staff and the scallops. Thank you

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you had a good stay with us in our 'standard' rooms.

Thank you also for your comments reference my staff and glad you liked the pool which we keep at a constant 32 degrees with youngsters in mind.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed for two nights at what turned out to be a wonderful hotel. Why we didnt ask to stay longer I dont know, nothing pressing to come home for. The staff were all brilliant and the room was great. We wont hesitate to use this hotel again if we are ever in Eastbourne again.

Room Tip: Pay the supplement for a sea view. Well worth it

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your comments reference my staff.

As you say perhaps your stay will be longer next time and we look forward to seeing you when you are next in Eastbourne.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Went to this hotel last weekend through a deal with Woucher.

First impressions when I checked in were very good as receptionist very friendly and efficient.
Advised us they had upgraded us to a seaview room which was nice and also apologised in advance as on Saturday they had a function and there may be nosie.
It was a Masons Do and apart from extra bodies in and out the hotel to have a smoke, there was no noise.

Room was very nice, clean, nice bathroom with huge towels. Tea and coffee making facilities.
Room was plenty big enough for us and at the end of the day, its only for sleeping and showering in. Think it had been refurbished and they had made a lovely job of it.

Breakfast was very good and although I am not a breakfast person, my husband tucked into a full english which was help yourself.
Cereals, fruit, yogurt and of course the usual eggs, bacon, beans, sausages, good choice.
If you love your breakfast then I am sure you wont be disappointed.

We managed to park outside and very simple in that you pay reception £1 and they give you a sticker to place in your car. We were out all Saturday not getting back to the hotel until around 6 and still managed to find a space though I can imagine in the height of the season there could be a problem.
Hotel is ideally situated to walk into town and a lovely walk along the promenade and beach.
Found Eastbourne to be very clean and we had a lovely 2 night break there.

We throughly enjoyed our stay, staff very friendly and Eve who greets you at breakfast will give you a lovely smile.

One point is that on Sunday evening whilst drinking in the lounge, when we went to order another drink and they advsied us they had run out of bottles of the normal size coke and we were charged £1.80 for a tiny bottle of diet coke to go with our rum. Over the top or what.

Room Tip: We had room 394 Right at the top but quiet

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you had a good stay with us.

Thank you for your comments reference my staff, in particular Ewa, and our Breakfasts.

Apologies reference the coke you are quite right and will look into that

Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My husband & I went to the hotel for a 2 night function. The room (260) was extremely small and the bathroom was even smaller.
The bed was a large single at best and not comfortable at all. There was a humming noise all the time which I now understand is a generator and I had about 2hrs sleep the whole night.
The shower head was broken so it just poured out in a large mass instead of fine spray.
The heated towel rail didn't work and it was very dated and smelled a bit weird. Large TV for a very small room.
We actually drove home after the function late on Saturday night because we could not face another night stay in that room.
The parking was terrible had to go around and around for about an hour to get a space anywhere near so we didn't have to drag our luggage too far.
Most of the staff were pleasant, except the staff serving us our main meal on the Saturday, I am a veggie and had chicken plonked on my plate before I had a chance to say anything. When the waiter then removed it he managed to drip gravy over my husband and I without any apology.
I understand that some of things were out of the hotels control but I wouldn't rush back.

Room Tip: If you are allocated Room 260, ask to be moved immediately. The sea view rooms are the biggest.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thank you for your review.

Of course not how we like to read a review and if you genuinely felt that this was a cause to make you leave early and drive home I apologise.

I would however point out that we were not made aware of your dis satisfaction by you or your group organiser until at 10pm on the Saturday you told reception you were leaving - you were immediately offered a room move which you declined.

I can assure you that we did also specifically ask where the 2 vegetarians out of 65 diners were sitting precisely to avoid that situation and we were told that they didn't know.

As I am sure you can appreciate we don't go out of our way to irritate you and indeed if luggage was a problem my staff would be more than happy to get for you to save you 'dragging'.

If you feel you have any further issues you would like to discuss then please feel free to contact me on: mark.cotman@yorkhousehotel.co.uk where we can hope to alleviate you further.