“Lovely weekend stay at York House”

Best Western York House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed Friday to Monday at York House on a bed and breakfast break. We did have dinner in the hotel restaurant on two evenings. Overall we were very pleased. A warm welcome greeted us, the restaurant staff efficient and helpful, breakfasts and dinner very good.
Our room obviously recently refurbished, t.v. a bit dated but otherwise excellent. If I had one adverse comment it would be that there was no means of switching off the electric towel rail in bathroom. The weather was very hot and the extra heat generated by the rail made the bedroom too hot for comfort. I can foresee this being more of a problem as the weather heats up. Overall a lovely stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

I am glad to see you had a good overall stay and enjoyed our Restaurant.

All of our towel rails are individually controlled and perhaps you didnt notice the switch located outside the bathroom.

Please let us know if anything is niggling as I always say if we can we will

Look forward to seeing you again soon

There are newer reviews for Best Western York House Hotel

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We were three friends who booked a night here as we were going to the Tennis. We requested a triple room with a sea view and although the room was lovely it had a double bed and a single and had facilities for two people, when we informed the staff they couldn't have been more helpful, there was a sofa bed in the room which they made up with no fuss, extra towels, tea making facilities were supplied and we had a very comfortable night. The shower and room were spot on. The hotel has a welcoming feel and the staff were all great, we have already booked for two nights next year, and look forward to trying the restaurant next time.

Room Tip: A sea view room is well worth getting.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Glad you had a good time overall and we were able to accommodate you in the 3 beds in the same room.

Thank you for the comments about my staff as I know they appreciate this when recognised.

Look forward to seeing you again next year

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here rooms average but pleasant, we're let down by no room service for a cooked breakfast as we really wanted a holiday. No papers could be delivered to our room and cost us 15 day for our little dog. In fact to have to come down for breakfast and paper really didn't feel like a four day holiday. Coach parties seem to be the favourite at this hotel which also meant the price of our dinner appeared to be somewhat high as it was not separate from the coach parties menu. The owners need to look at service to patrons if they wish to have individual guests staying at this hotel. Lounge was also too close to reception who can hear every word of anyone's conversation private or not

Room Tip: Sea view balcony but can be expensive
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review.

I was so concerned reference your comments I have managed to track down your booking and a few things are a bit confusing:

You didn't stay for 4 nights
You didn't bring a dog
We didn't charge you for a dog
You didn't have dinner with us and our Group menus are most certainly not offered to 'private guests' it is full a la carte

I do re iterate to anyone reading this whilst we do have some general rules please ask and I know my staff will oblige if they can

Perhaps you can chat through with me tomorrow as you are booked in again to stay with us

Look forward to seeing you then

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were two couples on a short break and took advantage of a deal. We were given an option to upgrade to a sea view which we did although in my opinion, it was an expensive option but having said that, we had a lovely sea view and the weather to go with it.

Our check in was smooth and we were happy with our rooms which were clean and comfortable and in our room we were lucky to have an enormous king sized bed which is unusual these days.

We were very happy with the breakfast, the staff were more than attentive. Plenty to choose from with fruit, yogurt, cheese and of course the full English. The dining area was roomy and relaxed and at least we didn't have to queue for a table.

We managed to park outside the hotel and the £1 fee for 24 hours was great considering we were on the sea front and as residents of the hotel, this was quite acceptable.

We will definitely recommend this hotel and would come back again. There are many restaurants within walking distance of the hotel as well as shops and the pier.

One negative, please get rid of shower curtains, they are definitely a no no these days and replace with a shower door! Oh another thing, please upgrade to flat screen tv's, I saw some rooms that had them but ours didn't!

I think Eastbourne has always had a reputation for catering for elderly visitors and the place certainly isn't rowdy but if you want a recommendation for a comfortable hotel with good facilities - we recommend this. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to use the swimming pool which looked very inviting.

We will be back!

Room Tip: Who wouldn't want a sea view. Ask for a second floor room as the first floor have yet to be ren...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Great to see you enjoyed the sea views and thank you for your overall comments.

I take on board your point about shower curtains ( I don't like them myself) which is why we are currently installing purpose built big walk in showers with substantial glass screens in a lot of bedrooms. Just enquire on reservation and we will always allocate one to you if we have it available.

One point though we have 12 rooms left to refurbish out of 85 and a substantial amount on the 1st floor are done - let me show you the next time if you visit again

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Friendly and helpful staff. Good location, and nice sea views from our room. The room was clean and spacious, but the actual bed wasn't that comfortable - you could feel the springs through the mattress, so not the most comfortable nights sleep! The breakfast was good, and the dining room light and spacious. The swimming pool was OK - and the water was nice and warm. We were lucky with the parking and managed to find a space in the side road with no restrictions. The Internet connection was good in all areas. I would use the hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

I am glad you had a pleasant stay with us

I am sorry you had an issue with the bed I will certainly get this checked as most of them are brand new.

It would be helpful if you do have the time to email me direct on:

mark.cotman@yorkhousehotel.co.uk

as your review is anonymous and I would like to be 100% correct that we get the right room

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Great, friendly and extremely helpful staff. As we arrived we asked for information about getting to brighton on the train we went to our room and by the time we got back to reception it was all printed out for us. We were very lucky to be upgraded to a sea view in one of their recently refurbished rooms which was lovely.

1  Thank Suzanne C
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you for your review.

I appreciate your kind comments reference my staff.

We will always will upgrade people to the 'best room available' if we have them on the day of arrival - the acronym we use is the BRA theory which always makes people think!

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Helpful and friendly staff. Good location. Lovely recently refurbished room. Good quality TV and free internet connection. We didn't use the swimming pool, but it looked nice. I definitely recommend staying in this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

I am glad you had a good time with us and appreciated the Free Wifi and thank you for your comments reference my staff.

Look forward to seeing you again soon