“National coach holiday”

Ranked #30 of 41 Hotels in Eastbourne
Bradford, United Kingdom
“National coach holiday”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We just spent 5 days in this hotel , our bedroom carpet was ready for the skip ,we had an old tv that only had BBC1 , ITV , BBC2 ,CHANEL 4 , the pictures on three chanels were very poor ,
The bedroom needed a full refurb , the hotel was clean and staff very nice and helpfull ,
Food was not bad but if you are a funny eater and dont like Onions cooked you get them in most meals this spoiled meals for my Husband , also we never seemed to have enough on our plates .
We will not be returning to this hotel

1 Thank David T
MajesticManager, Manager at Bay Majestic Eastbourne Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you Traveler for posting your review. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. In response to your comments I am just wondering if you informed anyone that your husband did not like onions because if we knew, I am sure we could have catered for his needs. We have over 170 people every evening in our restaurant and the majority of them enjoy their meals. As for the portion size if it was not enough we would have been more than happy to provide more. All you had to do was ask your waiter.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Have just returned from an 3 night stay at Majestic Hotel, Eastbourne. Hotel in need of an refurb, but clean. Staff friendly and helpful. Food was very good. Was very surprised with Eastbourne, not what I was expecting.

The Victorian Tea Rooms on pier a must.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear of Hotel are quieter. Away from the lifts.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank falcon1_10
Thank you Falcon1-10 for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. Eastbourne in my opinion is a fantastic town with lots to do for old and young alike. I think a lot of people are pleasantly surprised with Eastbourne if they don’t know it. I hope you were also pleased with what is on offer here and in the surrounding area. I will agree that the tea rooms on the pier are great and as the pier hasn’t changed much since Victorian times you still get that old world experience.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We went on a 5 day trip to the Majestic with National holidays although I believe it is a Shearings hotel. The hotel is old, and in the middle of refurbishment, but everywhere was clean. Our bedroom was at the rear as we had not paid extra for a sea view, we were out during the day anyway. The room was adequate, loads of storage room, clean bedding and sheets, beds were a bit lumpy. The staff were very courteous and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. The food was fantastic, with loads of variety, and always hot. The hotel is in a good location on the sea front and about a 5-10 minute walk from the main shopping area.

3 Thank jazzjean
Thank you jazzjean for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your holiday with us and the staff were polite and courteous to you. Our aim is to provide comfortable accommodation with good food and service. It is always nice to hear when we have achieved this. I will agree that the Hotel is in a great spot directly across the road from the beach. It is a pity you did not have a sea view as at this time of the year when the weather is good the views are lovely.
lowestoft
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Negatives 3 night stay on third floor next to noisy lift. Room noisy and not very modern or clean. Beds uncomfortable due to raised springs in mattress.
Positives Friendly and helpful staff. 3 course dinner very good. Breakfast plentiful and hot. Pleasant company and entertainment laid on if needed. Nice TV lounge with lovely sea views.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rosine
MajesticManager, Manager at Bay Majestic Eastbourne Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you Rosine for posting your response. As I have stated previously we do have a refurbishment plan and the third floor bedrooms are due to be refurbished this year. I am glad to hear however that you found the staff friendly and helpful and the food to your liking. I will agree that the views from the public areas are great. They are even better from our patio when the weather is good.
norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I know I,m a bit late writing this. parked We stayed with friends for 3 nights, and for what we paid it was very good value for money. Yes, the rooms could do with a update, but they were very clean. The food was very good and the staff were very friendly. The only downside was the car parking, one night we on had to park the car quite a distance from the hotel. The bar area has been updated and is very nice. I would recommend this hotel for a break,which would not break the bank.

Room Tip: pay a little extra for a seaview room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank kimfam
MajesticManager, Manager at Bay Majestic Eastbourne Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you Kimfam for posting your review, better late than never. We are always happy to hear from guests no matter how long ago it is. I am pleased to hear you found the food good and the staff friendly. It is Always good when guests say it is value for money so thank you. We generally find that all of our guests find a parking space close to the Hotel, and with the vouchers for parking I would say it is good value for money.
michelle8671
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I booked last minute using late rooms and paid £39.00 for 2 people for Bed and Breakfast. What I got for the money almost deserved 5 stars. A very warm welcome by the reception staff, the hotel looked clean, the rooms although dated were spotlessly clean. We were also given a room with a seaview.

Breakfast was fine, a good selection of cereals, fruit juices, yogurts and bread plus a cooked Full English. Unfortunately 2 of the waiting staff were abrupt and not so friendly.

So my rating is based on value for money which it exceeded and I would recommend. If you are looking for plush, comfort with all the trimmimgs you wont get it here but you wouldn't expect to for the money.

1 Thank michelle8671
MajesticManager, Manager at Bay Majestic Eastbourne Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you Michelle8671 for taking the time to post your review. Our aim is to provide comfortable accommodation at an affordable price and I am pleased to hear we have achieved this. I am rather disappointed you found the restaurant staff unfriendly, normally the staff are very good and receive nothing but praise, but I will look into your comments.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

We were recently treated to a long weekend at the Magestic Hotel as an anniversay present. As we usually do Sun holidays with the family, I was really looking forward to a decent stay in a nice hotel, that I was hoping would be a little swanky.

Upon arriving in the newly refurbished lobby and bar room, my anticipation really grew thinking wow! this place is really nice - but, sadly I was to be disapointed as the stylishness ended where it started - in the lobby!!!

As you notice from the lovely photos supplied by the hotel management, only the refurbished bar and lobby area have been shown, and these were the only bits I saw done. I had heard some sea-view rooms had been redecorated, but these were the higher priced rooms and obviously took presidence over the rooms without views.

I understand that a large hotel takes a long time to refurbish, but judging by the style and decor of the rooms, they seem to have not been re-decorated since the 90's. Surely it would be more prudent to do weekly monthly running repairs, refresh rooms seasonly (winter months) and do complete redecoration/overhauls of rooms in rotation every few years, so that matters could be addressed way before the decor becomes an outdated eyesore and the fittings become genuine health hazzards.

I know that the prices are reasonable to stay at this chain of hotels, but I do not know how management (in all good conscience) can allow the non-refurbished rooms to be used by paying cusomers, when they are in such a poor state of repair.

The hallways were in a bad state of decoration (battered wallpaper and chipped paint) and the carpet was grotty and smelly beyond words.

Our room was dirty, carpets had not been hoovered. We had water stained ceilings, peeling wallpaper, stained carpets and bedding, broken tiles and misapplied and mouldy bathroom sealant. We also had a broken sash window and a gushing water leak from a broken pipe spraying outside our window - mmm lovely!!!

The hotel admits its in the middle of a refurbishment programme, so they know the condition of the place is not completely habitable for ALL guests, especially for the elderly and those with disabilities and health conditions (which seems to be a large portion of their clientele).

I suffer with arthritis and found the stairs difficult to negotiate, as my room was two flights up and all our meals were taken in the basement which was two flights down, making it four flights to go up and down to get food. There was one lift, but it was seriously overworked (being the only one) and it was very tiny, so no good for wheelchairs or if youre claustophobic like me :o)!!!

I also found the fire doors, which were placed every few feet in the corridoors and on the rooms themselves, very hard to open and I saw many other guests struggling with them too, as you really need two hands and most people had crutches and canes.

The food was good, but the portions were very small and it was only having three courses that made up for the short fall. The only meal that was generous was breakfast, as it was help yourself to fruit, yogurts, ceral and juice. You were also offered cooked breakfast and/or toast plus tea and coffee.

If you want a drink with you dinner you have to pay for it, but they bring it to your table (saves you running up 2 flights of stairs to the bar). They also offer a discount drink system which is a bargin if youre using it on alcahol. Tea and coffee is also free after dinner, which was nice.

The entertainment was good apart from bingo (but thats personal taste). They have a good compere, who is a little cheesey, but he was sweet and worked hard to keep everyone happy (poor bloke had a tough crowd the first night). He done a good quiz night and got everyone warmed up. The impersonator started good, but ended up going a little hyper and I could hear him in my room still going strong half hour after id left the bar! There was a male singer who had a brilliant voice and could do great renditions of a wide range of songs, which we really enjoyed.

The staff were fantastic and were very friendly. The waiting staff worked especially hard and deserve a medal, as its a bit of a cattle market in the basemet, feeding the hoards of guests, but they were very professional and took care of everyone beautifully.

Overall in enjoyed the trip away, but I was just terribly disapointed at the state of the rooms. I would consider another visit if the rooms were revamped well - but until then NO!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sukura-sky
Thank you sukura-sky for your very lengthy and detailed review. As you normally use the £9.50 holidays from the Sun there is no way we could compete with these prices but we are very competitive in our market. Most of our guests feel we provide value for money but if you are comparing us to the Sun holidays then yes you will be disappointed.
With a 95 bedroom hotel that is open 52 weeks of the year it is difficult to refresh the rooms as per your comments but we have refreshed quite a few and fully refurbished others. We have completed the bar area as you stated because everyone will get the benefit from this not just the few. We do have a refurbishment programme in place and more rooms are due to be done this year.
I am however happy to hear you found the staff and entertainment to your liking.

Travelers are raving about these Eastbourne hotels