“A very sad day”

Garden Restaurant - Grand Hotel Eastbourne
Ranked #111 of 418 Restaurants in Eastbourne
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The award-winning Garden Restaurant is situated within the refurbished Grand Hotel, one of the UK's most magnificent Victorian hotels and perfectly situated right on the seafront of Eastbourne. Dominating the shoreline, The Grand Hotel enjoys stunning views overlooking the sea and the cliffs at Beachy Head. Inside, The Garden Restaurant seats 180 people and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily in highly graceful surroundings. The cuisine is based on the highest standards of traditional English cuisine with a contemporary interpretation. In this relaxed environment, you can savour a wide selection of culinary delights, all of which have been designed with the utmost passion and are complemented by a range of fine wines from the extensive cellar. Awarded 2 AA Rosettes, The Garden Restaurant is also listed in the Square Meal guide.
Reviewed October 9, 2013

When in Eastbourne - staying at the Langham Hotel - we lunched at the Grand.
Just a sandwich and wine lunch on the Terrace. That day the hotel also dealt
with a party 'celebrating' the life of a lost friend. Lots of young Service men and
many Senior Officers were present, together with friends of the young man who
had lost his life when abroad mountaineering - a fellow officer.
We, personally, were disappointed with our lunch arrangement and the lack
of understanding of orders etc but we were also very pleased to see how
the arrangements had been handled quietly for those following a memorial
service for a dear friend. We will try the Grand again when in Eastbourne
and put down our poor service to the fact that they were dealing efficiently
with a more pressing service.........................

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Always the best ever, the staff are great, and everything is perfect, food is the best ever and the overall service is first class. The restaurant is open to both residents and non residents, very reasonably priced, although the cost of lunch has just gone up from £21.50 to £23.00 the first price rise in years, this place is the place to a super meal, lunch takes about 2 hours and you are never rushed, you just have a nice time and a good selection from the menu.

It is a 5 star hotel and I recommend this hotel and restaurant to everyone. Have been here so many times and been so pleased with everything, that even if they did get something wrong one day it wouldn't matter, not that they have.

The restaurant is spotless, the bar area is perfect, the toilets are so clean and fresh, everything about this hotel is perfect, even down to being able to park the car right outside, or hand the keys over over so it's parked for you.

If every restaurant was as good as this, which technically it should be then how much better the day would be.

Because of my job I eat out everyday so experience large range of places and restaurants, happy to say usually most are ok at best, but the extra levels this hotel goes to sets the standard others should follow.

Keep up the good work your customers appreciate it greatly.

1  Thank Mediawatch
Reviewed August 10, 2013

had a few minutes wait to be served but it was a hot afternoon and the place was very busy , very polite staff very clean well recommened

Reviewed July 22, 2013

A lovely meal in a beautiful restaurant, spacious and comfortable.The menu is varied and had plenty of choice for us.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I visited this restaurant in The Grand Hotel in Eastbourne with two elderly friends celebrating their 59th wedding anniversary. I have never been before but I would go back again. We had the set menu which I thought at £23 was an incredibly low price for 3 courses at lunch in a 5* hotel.

The food was fantastic, delicious. The staff were lovely. The main courses arrived with silver domes on which I've never had before and two staff were present so they could lift the domes off all at the same time. My 80 year old friend thought that was hilarious and she had to hold back from saying 'surprise'.

I can't fault any of the food or waiting staff at all. We then had coffee in one of the lounges which was very nice as well.

Overall the whole place needs a bit of a spruce up. I visited the toilets twice and the walls and paintwork need painting, it all just looks tired.

However it is like stepping back in time and is rather what I would imagine being on the Titanic would feel like with chandeliers everywhere and staff bowing to your every whim. It was an experience and one I would repeat.

I did look at the prices of staying in the hotel and I have no idea how they can justify the huge prices so I will not be staying there as I think for that price there needs to be no scuff on any of the woodwork or no tired looking walls or curtains.

I have only given it 3 rating purely due to the tiredness of decor. There was no great atmosphere as such, it was quiet and peaceful. Whilst the lunch was reasonable for the set menu the overall price of other things like £6 odd for a milkshake was not great.

It was a lovely lunch and we had a lovely time and a great time.