“Food delicious”

Garden Restaurant - Grand Hotel Eastbourne
Ranked #114 of 402 Restaurants in Eastbourne
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The award-winning Garden Restaurant is situated within the refurbished Grand Hotel, one of the UK's most magnificent Victorian hotels and perfectly situated right on the seafront of Eastbourne. Dominating the shoreline, The Grand Hotel enjoys stunning views overlooking the sea and the cliffs at Beachy Head. Inside, The Garden Restaurant seats 180 people and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily in highly graceful surroundings. The cuisine is based on the highest standards of traditional English cuisine with a contemporary interpretation. In this relaxed environment, you can savour a wide selection of culinary delights, all of which have been designed with the utmost passion and are complemented by a range of fine wines from the extensive cellar. Awarded 2 AA Rosettes, The Garden Restaurant is also listed in the Square Meal guide.
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Food delicious”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I visited this restaurant in The Grand Hotel in Eastbourne with two elderly friends celebrating their 59th wedding anniversary. I have never been before but I would go back again. We had the set menu which I thought at £23 was an incredibly low price for 3 courses at lunch in a 5* hotel.

The food was fantastic, delicious. The staff were lovely. The main courses arrived with silver domes on which I've never had before and two staff were present so they could lift the domes off all at the same time. My 80 year old friend thought that was hilarious and she had to hold back from saying 'surprise'.

I can't fault any of the food or waiting staff at all. We then had coffee in one of the lounges which was very nice as well.

Overall the whole place needs a bit of a spruce up. I visited the toilets twice and the walls and paintwork need painting, it all just looks tired.

However it is like stepping back in time and is rather what I would imagine being on the Titanic would feel like with chandeliers everywhere and staff bowing to your every whim. It was an experience and one I would repeat.

I did look at the prices of staying in the hotel and I have no idea how they can justify the huge prices so I will not be staying there as I think for that price there needs to be no scuff on any of the woodwork or no tired looking walls or curtains.

I have only given it 3 rating purely due to the tiredness of decor. There was no great atmosphere as such, it was quiet and peaceful. Whilst the lunch was reasonable for the set menu the overall price of other things like £6 odd for a milkshake was not great.

It was a lovely lunch and we had a lovely time and a great time.

• Visited June 2013

London
“Good food”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I liked they have a dedicated three course vegetarian menu instead of the usal token veggie dish on the main meu.

Visited January 2013
eastbourne
“A truly awful meal”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Invited as guests by a couple staying at the hotel we had dinner in the Garden Restaurant. Our host ordered 'seared scallops' as a starter - they arrived burned on two sides and ice cold - he sent them back. The rest of the party then went on to lamb which was raw not rare and so tough we couldn't cut it . The vegetables comprising - leeks, carrots, mange tout and potatoes were equally inedible . The boiled potatoes had obviously been shoved under a grill at the last minute to give them a bit of colour but were still cold , the leeks were not even cooked and impossible to cut with a knife. I complained to the restaurant manager and when we left again to reception - no real response! This supposedly '5 star' hotel should be ashamed of serving this kind of minus 5 star meal !!!!! We ate better today in our local pub !!

Worthing, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I ate at the Garden Restaurant one evening and for breakfast one morning whilst staying at the Grand Hotel. The evening meal: in a nutsehll, was disappointing. At a hotel of this level you quite simply expect more. I had a terrine to start, my husband had salmon. They were both ok but absolutely nothing memorable. The presentation in particular was very average. Neither of us would chose them again if we returned. The main meals, well, I had the plaice and it was virtually cold and there was very little flavour to the meal at all. The selection of vegetables that are served with the main meals are lacking in any creativity at all. Just plain boiled vegetables in chunks. The wine waiter was knowledgeble and pleasant and seemed to take in an interest in his service but the same cannot be said of any of the other waiting staff in the restaurant that night. Attracting attention was not easy either even though it was not busy and there were plenty of staff. The desserts went someway to redeeming the restuarant a little. I had the rubard dessert which really was imaginative and delicious which shows someone in the kitchen knows what they are doing. it is such a pity that the other courses could not have been on the same level. Breakfast: Having had the evening meal, we were hoping that breakfast would be an improvement. Put simply, it isn't. There is the choice to have waiter service but this is clearly 'discouraged' and you are steered towards a self selection buffet style. This is absolutely NOT what I expect from a 5 star hotel with 5 star prices. Once seated (and we had to wait in a queue???) I then had to wait 11 minutes for coffee to arrive - that's a long time sitting at a table waiting for a pot of coffee. The toast, when served, was completely cold. The buffet selections were greasy and fatty. I would not recommend this restaurant. That said, I would like to say that the Grand Hotel is absolutely worth staying at and I shall return, I shall just ensure I eat elsewhere. One other thing, the hotel Bar is a MUST VISIT. They have some of the best cocktail waiters I have been served by in a very long time. They genuinely know their trade and they certainly improved our mood after such a disappointing dinner. To the bar and hotel we shall definitely return.

• Visited May 2013
East Sussex, United Kingdom
“Not everything in the Garden is Grand”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Some lovely friends gave me an £80 Grand Hotel voucher to spend (for my birthday) and I chose a Sunday lunch experience with my dear wife. It turned out to be a modest three-course event - but we only just made it inside the £80 ! Its very pleasant of course in the Garden Restaurant - but that's just what you would expect of "The Grand". A piano player was very low-key, if I can use that phrase, otherwise all quiet in there and half-empty. We chose mainly the set mnu at £287.50 head as the a la carte dishews carried huge supplements.Our starters took ages to come - well,r about 40 minutes. When we asked why they were then brought almost immediately. Mine was, I have to say, a superb smoked salmon fishcake. Beautiful. For main I had the chicken, leek and "something" puff-pastry pie with mash AND roast potato plus veg. Wonderful. My wife liked the roast beef - especially as it was carved at the table so that she could choose her own "well done" cuts. Desserts were unmemorable and we asked to have coffee in the lounge but at first were refused as a Palm Court Orchestra was playing ! Nonsense, there was plenty of seating available and we took our choice. The bill, meanwhile, arrived from the very pleasant head waiter chap and it was £79.30 including a couple of glasses of merlot and two cups of coffee (all we could manage from the separate coffee and decaf cafetiers unilaterally provided! So its a big Thank You to my friends for sponsoring this splendid afternoon out but I think the Grand Hotel needs to be a little more covetous of its reputation. A few more gentle and special touches could make it the high quality experience that it once was. Only average now I'm afraid - and so-ooo expensive (not that it bothered us on this occasion).

• Visited May 2013