“Pleasantly surprised”

Bay Burlington Hotel
Ranked #16 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Our 4-night break at the Burlington in Eastbourne was most agreeable. My wife and I have visited many Shearings hotels and found this one of equally excellent value. Our room was spacious, clean and well presented, affording much storage space. Beds comfortable and lighting good. One downside - TV somewhat antediluvian and temperamental, offering only the 5 basic channels. Breakfast excellent and plentiful, dinner likewise, cheerfully served, always hot, by most pleasant and obliging staff. Room servicing most efficient. Location in Eastbourne practical, opposite the pier, with a useful bus-stop over the road. Reception staff well organised, helpful and efficient. All-in-all a pleasant stay. Would happily recommend or return.

One recommendation to the management, could they please consider Wi-Fi, if not in the rooms then at least in the reception/bar areas? I believe most Shearings hotels have some, if limited, facilty for internet access

Room Tip: Worth paying the supplement for a sea-view room!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank malhen
BurlingtonEastbourne, General Manager at Bay Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

What a great review Malhan, thank you. The great commenmts regarding the food, rooms, staff are always a pleasure to read.The tip for Wi Fi is being looked into as we accept that a number of guests do come on hoilday with their pc's etc. yes a number of our Coast and Country hotels do have Wi Fi but we are looking at putting it into our Bay Hotels in the future
Thanks once again for leaving the review.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

we have been comming now for six years now and last year and this year we came for the turkey and tisell as well we had a great time mark james and matt put alot of time and effot into making sure everone enjoys them self

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cecilia W

A Big thank you Cecillia W for taking the time to leave a review. I know the bar Team do an excellent job joining in the fun and it is always nice to see when a member of staff is mentiioned by name all the team read the reviews and I know it means a lot to them to see their names in print. Thank you once again for leaving a great five star review.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Situated on the seafront this Hotel is an old building but very comfortable. The food was very good and plentiful, and the staff were friendly and efficient. The entertainment was good, cabaret 2 nights

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marlene W

Thanks Marlene W. Short and to the point excellent! Great to read to you enjoyed the holiday and all it had to offer. The weekend breaks are going being snaped up at the minute and our customers appear to be having a great short break based on the christimas theme, without any of the hassle. The hotel looks great decorated for christmas and guests are really getting into the party mood. Thanks again.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

My Wife and I went with friends to the Burlington and to be honest we did not expect much for the money we paid, however we were all very surprised by the hotel and its staff, all very friendly and worked really hard to make our stay an enjoyable one.
If you go thinking its the Ritz you may be dissapointed but if you want a super value break you can't go wrong.

Room Tip: Go for the Sea view rooms on high floors
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank martin4fran

Thank you Martin4fran for leaving the review. Our prices are excellent in relation to the package on offer. Its great to read when a customer is pleasantly surprised. No matter how much a customer will pay our brilliant team will always do their upmost to ensure a great holiday is delivered.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Really good break, Food was first class ,good choice of meals on the menu,entertainment was very good,1 game of Bingo on 2 nights 3 with dancing and Cabaret on 3 nights.Waitress service
was first class as all the staff was.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ronoli
BurlingtonEastbourne, General Manager at Bay Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you Ronoli for a wonderful; short, concise, does what it says on the tin review.!
All reviews are greatly accepted be them long or short and do help us build on what is already a great product. I always appreciate a customer taking the time to leave feedback so thank you once again.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I booked by phone asking for a sea view to be told there was only one left but it was a "Premier Room"
That made my bill £906 instead of about £350, one wonders if she was a good salesgirl on commision
I requested we be near the lift as we are both in out 80s but on arrival found our room was actually the farthest away we could be, as was our seat in the dining room from the door.

The room had little more than a basic room except for an extra chair and a four poster bed.

The extra large tv that came with the room didn't work all week even though a so called engineer looked at it on the first morning and left saying it was now working, but before he got to the lift it had failed again ,but he was past two fire doors so I couldn't call him back.
I rang receptionand asked them to tell him but we never saw him again plus every time I reported it again each morning I was told he had repaired it and it was working and despite repeated requests no one would come to the room the confirm my complaint.

The bed mattress was sunk below a side bar making it difficult for my wife to get in and out which by the end of the week her legs were badly bruised under the back of her upper knees.
In my case I was lucky that by the end of the week I did not damage my nether regions.

Car parking {at £5 per day} needed someone to remove the chain to let me in and out
The rear door had a bell which never seemed to be answered until on the last day I found out when it was rung the door lock was released by reception, but they never told me and for most of the week I had walked all the way round to the front to ask them to open the chain some 100 yards and difficult for me to walk that distance.

Meals were just adequate, no more than that.

Entertainment was mediocre, with mostly the resident comedian / singer going on about his gender.

Bingo one eveing was called by a female and we had difficulty hearing her even after asking her to turn the sound up.

Drinks on "tab" were signed for, one evening I had a wine with my meal and later in the lounge was given a second tab with the same drink on it although I had signed for it in the dining room.
When questioned the waiter told me the first tab would be cancelled by the second.
Later in the week I had a drink in the lounge and was presented ith two tabs for the same drink
I was told one was for the bar and the other for reception.
On the final bill ALL the tabs were on it and had I not checked I would have been almost £10 out of pocket
It took almost an hour at reception to get this sorted when we needed to get on our way home.
At no time were we offered help with our luggage even though it was obvious my wife was disabled and unable to help me carry it.

I wrote to Shearing to complain and after about three weeks got a post card saying my letter was being attended too.
After another two weeks I rang them and asked if there was any progress to be told sharply that it would be another two weeks before they got round to it.

That is now almost four weeks ago so I don't live in hope of hearing more.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Boris D

Thank you BorisD for taking timeout to leave the review. It is always dissapointing when a customer feels the need to leave a negative review. Our premier rooms are very popular and in the mian do sell quickly. The hotel has been very busy of the last few months and the reservation teams can only sell what rooms are avialable at the time of booking. A customer is always given the choice of rooms depending what is available at the time. The superior and premier rooms are very different from a standard room, with seating areas, seperate highquality showers, flat screenTvs etc. The Tvs in these rooms are checked regulary and any issues are dealt with straight away. All requests for low floor rooms near a lift, tables near to the entrance of the dining room etc are all considered and where possible requests are met. Sometimes a request can not be granted due to the location of the bedroom within the hotel. The parking arrangements have proven to be a great success see previous reviews and if help is requested for luggage it will always be granted. The hotel is very busy most of the time and every now agian mistakes will happen any oversight made by a memeber of staff regarding bar bills etc will be dealt with as quickly as possible to ensure a customer is not overcharged. Entertainment can be a very personal thing one mans poison........ Please see previous reviews regarding the hotel entertainment. Thanks once again

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Just returned from a turkey and tinsel holiday with shearings at this hotel can't fault it. Its the second time at this hotel stayed there in the summer the staff here are the best I have come across,there were some new additions to the staff since the summer but this is only for the better Matthew S needs a special mention he is so nice with all the guests and works hard. Also another person who needs a mention is Mark who is the compare he made our evenings most enjoyable. Food good trips good. I took My Dad and Aunt they love it here so will be returning sometime next year.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 612jovibabe
BurlingtonEastbourne, General Manager at Bay Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

612jovibabe, Great tag! Thanks for the review. Thes festive breaks go down a storm (exscuse the pun) at this time of year. It makes it all worth while when great guests get involved and get into the spirit of it all, yes we know its October/November but customers absolutley love these packages. The hotel in decorated accordingly and the whole theme is Christmas based. Great comments about Matt and Mark. Even Father Christmas comes out of hibernation to say hello!, good to read the food was enjoyed again with the Christmas theme in mind. These packages may not be for everyone, but for those guests who come away with the intention of having a pre christmas break will have an excellent time.