“Little Jewel In A Tarnished Crown!”
Review of Waterside Hotel

Waterside Hotel
Ranked #32 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Really nice little hotel in a sea of the usual tinsel and turkey hotels on the front at Eastbourne.
Room over looking sea was lovely, clean, modern and spacious. I would suggest taking your own pillows with you if you're fussy about those sorts of thing! There's were really hard and flat.
Staff very effficient and helpful.
Breakfast perfect.
Would definitely recommend this hotel, (but a note to people who have trouble with stairs, I dont think theres a lift)!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Waterside Hotel

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed at The Waterside for one night and loved it very much. Our room was very well appointed with everything you need for an overnight stay. Delicious breakfast. Excellent value, I'm sure we will be regular visitors in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at the hotel, on business...on two separate stays

Despite my arriving at 1am and 3am respectively, there was a very warm welcome for me. Although only booking standard rooms, I found each of them to be of very high standards. Spotlessly clean and very comfortable beds. Linen and towels etc were of high quality, which really does make a big difference when you've been working late and in need of a good shower and a good sleep!

I had the Full English Breakfast, which was superb!

I shall definitely be staying again, and look forward to it. Thank you

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Craig B
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Positives: The Sunset room has a great view of the sea, is a nice sized double room, bed is comfortable. Room tastefully decorated. Telescope in the room is a great touch (had a fascinating look at the moon!). Staff are, on the whole, friendly and accommodating (but see below).

Negatives: Breakfast on a weekend is served from 7am to 12noon. We were down about 10am but they had run out of bacon, eggs, mushrooms and white bread. I asked for wholemeal toast which didn't turn up. My partner asked for milk for her tea which didn't turn up either. We were sat in the dining room for about an hour without food. Then we were told that their fryer had broken down......it was quite funny actually because everything was going wrong. The waiter was trying his best in adverse circumstances and very apologetic. Neither I or my partner were that put out (although we were a bit hungry) and didn't want to give him a hard time. When I asked the waiter about raising the issue with the management the lady on reception (Sunday 4th Nov at 10am - assistant manager maybe?) came over and offered no explanation as to why kitchen was running out of food or an apology for the off day they were obviously having. She dealt with a mild complaint I had very badly and I came away feeling that she felt it acceptable that we'd paid for breakfast but not been provided with it and had wasted an hour waiting for some toast that never arrived. She also tried to deflect in a really obvious way by asking me whether I was happy with my room (the room was nice - see above) which was irritating and a bit patronising.

Overall the hotel is fine but not a boutique hotel because of the little luxuries and details one normally associates with boutique hotels were not evident during our stay. E.g I asked for champagne in the room for my partner's birthday prior to arrival and despite an exchange of e-mails about it weeks beforehand and providing the hotel with an eta - there was no bottle in the room (no big deal - but boutique hotels tend to get this sort of thing right).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank th186338
Waterside_Manager, General Manager at Waterside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Thank you for posting your feedback. Clearly, the issues on that morning had not been dealt with correctly and I apologise that these events soured your stay. I am also disappointed that your simple request had not been adhered to and can assure that this is an extremely rare occurrence to happen as our staff always strive to make a customers stay extra special. I hope the amendment on your bill made up for this disappointment.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Really good boutique hotel with hearty breakfast and good evening meals. Staff attentive and rooms were clean and bright and very comfortable. Good for a break away from the pace of life.you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is well positioned on the sea front in Eastbourne. We had a room towards the rear of the property, no sea view and really quite small but we knew this when we booked. The pillows were very flat and the duvet was heavy and lumpy, not great sleep quality although the linen was nice. Big fluffy towels but the shower head kept collapsing on us making it hard to shower.
We didn't eat dinner as we arrived quite late but we had a nice G and T in the bar. The breakfast was really very good, I had eggs Benedict and my husband had the full English. As previous reviews mention quite a lot of steps also should be a consideration for the elderly. The staff were very pleasant.

Room Tip: A sea view room is a must
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for providing your feedback. I appreciate your positive comments and will also take your constructive ones onboard.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We have had a fabulous stay here. Classy but affordable. staff have been incredibly helpful and sincerely friendly. The owner Ali is a great guy and manager Mark also very nice. setting is perfect and our room beautifully appointed with bed and bath both having wonderful seaviews. Telescope and deck chairs in the bay window are a nice touch too! only pity was their restaurant isn't open evenings, but they recommended us to an excellent seafood restaurant instead. Very happy we chose the Waterside.
Paul & Karen (Canterbury)

• Stayed: November 2012