“Not the 4th floor”
Review of The Ellesmere

The Ellesmere
Ranked #63 of 76 Eastbourne B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Friendly family run hotel with nice breakfast, but the room we had on the 4th floor was clean but not ideal. The sliding door gave little privacy in the en suite where wallpaper had peeled off the ceiling. The room was small for a double and the décor wasn't very good. The wardrobe was probably assembled very well many years ago and is now wobbly and doesn't make a guest feel valued.

The curtains were so thin it was almost impossible to sleep after 5am

The room I stayed in, No.14 is definitely in need of a makeover and not worth the price I paid.

Clean but poor.

Room Tip: Look at the room before you book.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank LanceTrendall

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I decided to take a short driving break of the south coast and found The Ellesmere using Booking.com. The Ellesmere is a grand old building in a square a very short walk from the sea front. In the other direction is the cluster of theatres which were recommended to us by the hotel owner, Peter. The hotel doesn't have dedicated parking but a short distance away there is free roadside parking so that wasn't an issue during our one night stay. I suspect that during peak season these spaces may disappear rapidly however and alternative parking arrangements may have to be found.
We were greeted on arrival by Peter the owner who was extremely polite, welcoming and helpful. The Booking.com system seemed very efficeint and our details, keys and room were all ready for us, (although we had actualy arrived earlier than the guide stated) Our Room, No16 was on the 4th floor, Don't Panic,. there is a lift, (small and you will get to know your fellow passengers very well !!!) The room was spacious and boasted a very nice and very modern en-suite with bath/shower and bidet. The bed was comfortable and a good size wall mounted flat screen TV with all freeview channels provided, also two very comfortable armchairs, the room was good! There were plenty of towels, (but not bath sheet size, which would have been nice) and coffee and tea making facilities... and LOADS of milk sachets. (I get so fed up of a hotels scrimping, and providing enough milk for one measure per cup...we like milky tea and coffee!) . The view wasn't up to much, the backs of buildings, but that wasn't an issue. What was noteworthy was the room was impeccably clean. The bedding was crisp, fresh and laundered, and the room passed the sweeping finger test in the search for dust... none found.
Peter had recommended the nearby theatres, and restuarants, and we walked, nearly 150 yards to the box office and booked good seats for the performance of The Pitmen Painters for that evening. (BRILLIANT ! see it if it comes your way) We ate at a local Italian restuarant and walked along the front, before a nap prior to the show.
The hotel was quiet and we slept very soundly indeed, and were looking forward to breakfast . This was a self serve buffet breakfast and the choice was wide, and the food good. Wholesome tradional stuff, lovely!
The hotel decor is a little tired, something which Peter freely admits, but he is starting to modernise. The hotel boasts a salon for several therapies, including a very natty looking Floation/Isolation tank and massage tables, although we didn't get to use these facilities. The hotel is definately wanting to go somewhere and deserves our support. My wife and I use hotels often, normally a night at a time on our sight seeing travels, we often plump for Travelodge, or Premier Inn, .. the price is right and you know what you are getting, but they are such homogenous, characterless, souless things. Production line sleeping boxes. The Ellesmere, and other hotels like it all around Britain are getting their act together, providing character, humanity and value for money. Our room was £59.00 including our breakfasts. The same as a Premier or Travelodge, given the choice we should support our traditional small hotels and pick The Ellesmere and its cousins every time. I recommend The Ellesmere and support everything it is trying to do and stands for.

Room Tip: The room described was Room 16
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sunbury-Steve
Reviewed April 15, 2013

On arrival we were met by Peter (the owner) who welcomed us to the hotel and Eastbourne. He gave us lots of local information including where to eat, local theatres, shopping guide and a local map.

Our room was clean and comfotable as were all areas of the hotel including the very useful lift to all floors.

Breakfast was fresh with plenty of choice

Local parking was good outside the hotel with Peter supplying Permits

Very good experience all round

We will be returning

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank simmo046
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here on business for a few days. The staff were very warm and welcoming and very pleasant but the rooms are seriously outdated.

It doesn't look as though they have been redecorated in a very long time and are in serious need of updating. Some new furniture, a lick of paint, new carpets and bedding and it would be a 3 or 4 for review..

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank topperuk
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I would just like to say that I needed to book a hotel at short notice in November. I had no expectations for the Ellesmore and do admit that I thought it a little strange when I arrived that there was no open door or main reception, but a key in an envelope and no-one around... However....it was a lovely room and a very lovely bathroom. The hotel has a room on the ground floor for massage/relaxation which you have to book in advance (so they should promote this more) and the breakfast room was quiet and lovely and the Proprietor himself was lovely and friendly. I would really recommend this hotel and I could tell from the many cards and letters in the Reception area that many previous and regular visitors have been more satisfied. I have kept a the card for this hotel in my purse. Recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank julie7eagle
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I have stayed at the Ellesmere on a regular basis for the last 4 or 5 years.
The owners and staff are always willing to meet any reasonable needs at any time of the day. An early breakfast is always available on request. The free wi fi is an added bonus.
Its location,adjacent to the theatre complex enable me to spend additional time at this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank xnt92k
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

I treated my daughter to a night away by the see and got this room last minute. The decor in the room was outdated with dirty carpets. The pillows were stained and the bathroom wasn't very clean. Hotel staff were non existent and you were told to know on the housekeepers door if you needed anything. I tried this but no one answered. In the end I had to call the hotels main phone number to ask them what I needed. Trouble is with no phones in the room I had to use my mobile to call which was ridiculous when there should be staff around anyway ! I definitely wouldn't stay here again and so sad I wasted my money on this place.

• Stayed: August 2012