“Horrible Roti”
Review of The Roti Den

The Roti Den
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Paynes Bay
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I am assuming that most people who eat roti here are not accustomed to roti and as such, may think that this is how roti should taste. Not quite! I am from Trinidad and Tobago where the majority of the population is of east indian decent and accustomed to proper curry and roti. Honestly i am not trying to be harsh or anything but i was on holiday in Barbados a few weeks ago and decided to try this roti as we went for a drive down to Paynes bay. This is honestly the worst roti i have ever eaten in my life, it was not even proper chicken in the roti it was shreaded meat and the roti itself was not of the proper texture. I had roti a couple days before at another location in Barbados in Hastings in a mall opposite the boardwalk and it was much better, still not what good and proper roti should be but sufficed until i got back home.

This is not good roti

1  Thank Shiva R

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Pros-
*fantastic location, especially if you are staying at the tamarind cove and are looking for a quick lunch to grab (while in your swim trunks) to eat on the beach.
*Small bar
*small inside and even smaller outside dining area if you wanted to relax and watch traffic go by.
Thought the beef was much better than the chicken. More curry taste. Also had lamb, fish, shrimp
Cons -
* not the friendliest staff,
*Did not seem to be open in the evening (really only around lunch)
*Little costly for what you get - 2 roti will cost 27 to 35 barbados dollars

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Quite literally one of the most memorable meals of my life as none of us had ever eaten a roti before and they were utterly delicious. I have never seen my kids devour a meal so fast and every single plate was wiped clean.

We ate here 4 times over the 2 weeks (would have been 5 but they shut around 6 Mon-Sat and the owner were genuinely distraught when we turned up a little too late and she had nothing that she could serve). We also recommended it to 3 other families that were also staying at the self-catering apartments at the nearby Beach View Apartments (also 5*) and they all said they'd really enjoyed the food.

There is a choice of veg (all or any of 4 different veg) or 4-5 curried meats which you can have with potato or a choice of up to 4 veg, all wrapped in a roti bread. You can also have the beef or chicken curries with rice instead. We can vouch for the chicken/rice, chicken/potato roti, beef/potato roti, beef/veg roti and veg roti - all were divine. The chicken curry is a lighter curry on the palate while the beef curry is a little earthier.

We ate in each time (there are 3-4 small wooden tables plus some concrete ones outside) but you can also take your rotis away.

While you're there, round off your Caribbean experience by ordering an LLB to drink.

US$30 for food and drink for 4 people.

If you like curries and you want to experience a slice of real Bajan life then you really should pay this restaurant a visit!

1  Thank Alex D
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We visited here twice in 10 days as it was so good, we had never had rotis before and the very helpful lady told us what was what. We had a curried goat and rice one and a chicken with veg(chick peas, okra and pumpkin)one, these rotis were lovely and filling and definitely hit the spot with flavour. Plus this friendly little eaterie is just across the road from the Tamarind. Definitely be back on our next trip

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Hmmm, so yummy I want one now, a roti with vegetables was my favourite. We had a taxi for 2 days and the driver t said it was a must. I was so glad we stopped.
I would ask holiday makers to try the delicious bajan dish worth every dollar.